PDA

View Full Version : New Proboat Blackjack 24 shipped with wrong prop?

themastiffman
03-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Hello everyone, first post here. I have been lurking for a while trying to learn as much as I can and you guys are a very smart group and this is a great place for newbs like me! I have two boats, a shockwave v3 bl and a new Blackjack 24. the shockwave has a 1.6 x 2.5 prop stock and runs great with it "I am just a recreational hobbyist and this boat is fast enough for me and the area I run it in". I just recently bought the blackjack 24 and it says that it comes with a 1.34 x 2.08 prop stock I believe. When I opened up the box, it actually had the same prop installed as the shockwave. I asked horizon about it and they had no answer, they did not know if the spec had changed so they put in a question to proboat about it but it has been almost a week and no answer. Now, I believe that with the 4 pole 2000 kv motor in the blackjack not having anywhere near the torque of the 1500 kv 6 pole that is in the shockwave, if I run this boat as is I am likely to experience one or more things going up in smoke. Am I right? I don't see how the blackjack's motor can spin that big prop but I wanted to ask you guys first since I cant get an answer from Proboat and I am still an idiot about these things. Thank you for your time.

DBJr
03-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Hi there

You don't need to feel like an idiot. All of us were newbies at some point. I'm still fairly new to the hobby myself. Been involved for about 2 years now.

As for the Blackjack 24, I believe it does come with the Shockwave 26 prop. I also noticed the 1.34 x 2.06 prop listed and therefore, I ordered the stainless steel version of the 1.34 x 2.06. When it arrived along with the boat, I noticed it was way too small and it did not fit on the prop shaft either.

Now I've noticed that they list the stainless 1.6 x 2.5 prop as an upgrade for this boat. I personally run a Prather B215 prop on my Blackjack 24 which BTW has the same specs as the Proboat prop (1.6 x 2.5), just a different material (bronze/aluminum) instead of stainless steel. Prather also makes a stainless prop in this size. It's the S215.

However, keep in mind these props are raw (dull and unbalanced) out of the package. Sharpening and balancing of these props are required. Otherwise, the vibrations from the unbalanced prop will wear parts of your boat (motor bearings, flex shaft, drive strut etc.) and quite possibly the electronics out prematurely.

IIRC, I spent about 3-4 hours working on my B215 prop.

As far as the Proboat stainless props, some say you can run them right out of the package but others say they must be balanced. I run the stainless prop on my Shockwave 26 and as far as I could tell, the balance was pretty good but I still checked it anyway and got it balanced with about an hour and a half of work.

With that said, the prop runs very well on this boat. Since I run a Dynamite 50C 3S lipo, the motor and ESC get a bit on the warm side but nothing that I would call hot. I usually keep full throttle runs to 10 seconds or less.

In the future, I plan to eventually upgrade the boat with the Hobbywing Seaking 60A ESC if or when the stock 30A ESC decides to call it quits.

Anyway, I hope this helps.:smile:

Alexbarber
03-12-2015, 11:50 PM
I have a black jack running on 6s let me know who wants the business!!! Lol

themastiffman
03-13-2015, 06:38 AM
Thank you DBJr, I appreciate the insight. It surprises me that that prop does not give the esc problems but what do I know. With your advise, I will run the stainless shockwave prop on both boats just to keep things simple and see how it goes. If the esc does give up, I will just get a Seaking 60 like you suggested. I really like this boat and it looks to be a good partner for the shockwave. I will put it in the water this weekend for the maiden. Thanks again.