PDA

View Full Version : Stumped about my proboat geico electric

Wavewalker
03-12-2015, 11:05 AM
Hello, I hope I am in the right or closest forum for my problem(if not please redirect me). I am new to fe boats, But have over 20 year's in flying Thermal Duration gliders. I got a geico 29 stock except a 42 octuro prop and two 2s 6500 mah 70c new batts to try it. I made a few flawless runs. On one run one battery dropped a cell causing it to swell and heat up. So I got two new 5200 batts when I installed it I had nothing the receiver wouldn't even power up D.O.A. So from there I checked the ESC power going in but nothing going out. I ordered a seaking 120esc and a frysky gt3c with receiver. once I installed the new ESC my old spectrum mr200 powered up but still no servo or motor so I installed the new tx and rx binded it but still no motor or servo. The color of wires from new ESC to proboat motor are different I installed according to directions. Still nothing. So now the receiver powers up but I still have nothing else. I am open to any ideal's and would like to thank anyone now for answering this post.

Please Help
Thank You
Chris

srislash
03-12-2015, 01:29 PM
You may need to program that ESC. But first, do you have ANY brushless motor around to try. Bad motor may have started it all.

Wavewalker
03-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Yes I will try that and post back.

Thanks

JimClark
03-12-2015, 01:51 PM
In your initial post you state "On one run one battery dropped a cell causing it to swell and heat up" how long was this run?

Wavewalker
03-12-2015, 09:32 PM
I took it for a easy run half throttle only about 20 minutes

JimClark
03-12-2015, 09:45 PM
I suggest you read a lot more about these boats on this forum before you run again

srislash
03-13-2015, 12:17 AM
I took it for a easy run half throttle only about 20 minutes

I agree with Jim here. 20mins??? Half throttle??? You most likely heated up the ESC and possibly motor as well. We run maybe 7 minutes farting around. About 4-5mins full throttle and 10,000mah. This is real dependant on the setup, size, weight of the boat. Boats do use the juice.

Wavewalker
03-13-2015, 06:34 AM
I checked the motor, You guy's are right. At the time I was using a onyx 245 charger that was malfunctioning so I was just trying to run the batts down from a full charge so I could get them in a storage mode. Is 3.8 v correct. Also what is a good replacement motor that wont brake the bank.
Thank you all for your advice and I am always open for more advice.

Respectfully Yours
Chris

srislash
03-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Dynamite at Horizon is the replacement I believe. But anything within reason size wise and maybe 1600-1800 kv.

Wavewalker
03-14-2015, 09:36 AM
I want to thank all of you for your expertise and time. If I am replacing motor I definitely want to step up. Is hobby king a bad ideal, I also have seen a lot of people using leopard motors. Because I am fairly green to the boating world I want something that would hook right up. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Chris

srislash
03-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Well, the 'hot' setup is a Castle 1515. Dastuffuwant should still have a few. It would bolt in place but could use a bit of support from floor to can of motor as would most any other motor you get. With a 642 your 120 ESC should be fine.
I don't really deal with HK so have no experience with their motors. TPpower is another good one for the price. I have extensive experience with them and the Castles so can vouch there.

JimClark
03-14-2015, 01:45 PM
I think he would be good to learn more about the stock setup before going to the "Hot Setup"

srislash
03-15-2015, 03:13 PM
I think he would be good to learn more about the stock setup before going to the "Hot Setup"
Good point Jim, especially if running at the part throttle to get used to things.
In that light perhaps something 1400-1600kv in an 4068-74 size can(the 1515 is 4074 but 2200kv). This will give you a nice operating RPM on 4s and you can play with props. In the future you can always bump up to 5s.

Wavewalker
03-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Again Thanks, I wanted to point out I usually run this doing wide open passes. Just that day I was only trying to bring the charge down on my new batts because I had a full charge on them and my charger did not have a storage mode or a way to bring down the charge that I know of. I like to store my batts at about 3.8. So for me speed is good slow is bad, But I also don't want to over power it to were I will be getting blow overs. And again I want to thank you guy's for the advice and I welcome more it is the only thing in life that is great and still free