PDA

View Full Version : Any Delta Force 34 Hydro Builds? Missed You Guys - Back After 5 yr Hiatus.

10gauge
03-07-2015, 09:11 PM
Are there any links, pics, or info regarding DF 34 Hydro builds. I missed you guys! It's been 5 years since I last ran a FE boat, so I'm just catching up... I'm trying to see if my $1200 LiPo collection is salvageable. Heck, I don't even have the car in my avatar anymore. I still have a bare Phil Thomas 45 Hydro Hull, but thought the DF 34 Hydro might be easier to build for now.

I'm thinking going with: 6S2P/10000 30C+, Neu 1527/1Y, X452, 60-70mph goal.

Questions:
1. Where should the COG be on a 34" hydro?...
2. Should the drive shaft be mounted off center?...
3. Does the turn fin area need reinforcement?...

Thanks

flraptor07
03-07-2015, 10:51 PM
I built a DF 34 Vortex Hydro but I set it up for P Sport 4s class. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?47020-Delta-Force-Vortex-34-Finally-got-finished-pics&highlight=delta+force+vortex+34

10gauge
03-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Great and beatuiful build, flarptor07! Thanks for sharing! Did you center the strut or mount it slightly to the right?... Did you reinforce the turn fin with additional epoxy?...

34" hydros seem like they can go either way 4S or 6S -- 5S is always a good compromise for 30-34" hulls. I'm not sure if the sponsons can store a 6S/5000mAh pack, but I'm going to order one from Steve and see...

flraptor07
03-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Great and beatuiful build, flarptor07! Thanks for sharing! Did you center the strut or mount it slightly to the right?... Did you reinforce the turn fin with additional epoxy?...

34" hydros seem like they can go either way 4S or 6S -- 5S is always a good compromise for 30-34" hulls. I'm not sure if the sponsons can store a 6S/5000mAh pack, but I'm going to order one from Steve and see...

Thank You, I set mine up centered and the turn fin area is already reinforced with a aluminum plate that I drilled and tapped. 4s packs will fit in the sponsons no problem and I think 6s packs will fit too depending on what kind of packs you get, just check the measurements.

10gauge
03-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Excellent, flraptor07! Years ago, Fluid (Jay) mentioned that he offsets the strut slightly to the right due to propwalk on the DF 22. But on longer hydros like this one, I think center is OK. I see that you went with a square bottom strut. Did you use the Speedmaster 21 Strut and Speedmaster Mini Rudder with 1.5" offset?

properchopper
03-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Welcome back to the wet side :thumbup1:

I haven't had time to get my 34 rigged - I started out but then customer builds got me chained to the workbench.

I intend to do mine as a P-Sport (4S2P) - TP Power is building me a 2200KV 4060 which should be quick enough but not eat too much mah. Looking for low to mid 60's - the hull looks very aero-lift prone at higher speds but :noidea:

Questions:
1. Where should the COG be on a 34" hydro?...
2. Should the drive shaft be mounted off center?...
3. Does the turn fin area need reinforcement?...

1. most sport hydros place the CG a tad behind the sponson as much as 2"

2. I've never off-centered the driveshaft - others may challange that but :noidea:

3. I made a backing plate for the rear hardware & (template so far) for the fin -

I couldn't find the right size fin but ultimately adapted one from Insane(go figure:wink:). It's BIG but to race-corner WFO it definitely will do the trick

I made a Windshield proto for Jeff - actual sticker be available soon

flraptor07
03-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Tony, yes they are prone to aero lift, I put a small air break on mine. Jeff already has the windshield pattern for these, I made it for him a while back and I have his windshield on mine now. Mine also came with the transom and turn fin area already reinforced.

flraptor07
03-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Excellent, flraptor07! Years ago, Fluid (Jay) mentioned that he offsets the strut slightly to the right due to the turn fin on the DF 22. But on longer hydros like this one, I think center is OK. I see that you went with a square bottom strut. Did you use the Speedmaster 21 Strut and Speedmaster Mini Rudder with 1.5" offset?

Yes I used all Speedmaster 21 Hardware Strut and Rudder, not the mini rudder. I used the TP 4060 2520kv in mine for 4s with a Y547 octura prop, I haven't run t enough to get it totally dialed in yet but it flys. Easily 65mph +.

properchopper
03-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Tony, yes they are prone to aero lift, I put a small air break on mine. Jeff already has the windshield pattern for these, I made it for him a while back and I have his windshield on mine now. Mine also came with the transom and turn fin area already reinforced.

Like many hulls, most OEM makers have a "normal operating safety-zone speed - "NOSZS" (I just made that up) but us FE enthusiasts routinely exceed that realm. I suspect that the air traps on the V34 are to create lift and enhance aired-out running speeds with moderate power. I recall some time ago venting the air traps on my original UL-1 which calmed down the erratic death-dance and allowed more control. I'm thinking this hull may need this mod as well but time will tell.

Jeff asked me to proto a shield not long ago- whatever

While there is some reinforcement in the transom & fin area I'm bolstering it. Overly cautious maybe ? :confused2:

Also I like the larger SPD .60/.90 rear stuff. Needs some modding but hangs in there under max g-force cornering (as in this SprintCat on the bench) - worked great on the Cheetah as well

flraptor07
03-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Agreed.. it never hurts to go a little overkill. Jeff musta forgot he has that pattern, if ya jog his memory and tell him he might remember :biggrin: sucks gettin' old sometimes. :blink:

10gauge
03-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Thank you properchopper and flraptor07 for the great advice! Sorry guys, last time I ran a boat, Feigao and Neu were the only motor choices. TP Motors are new to me, the specs seem impressive for the money, exceeding Neu on paper, at least on the basis of wattage for the size and weight.

Are TP power ratings are inflated? How are the TP Motors working out for you?...

flraptor07, Holy Shnikies, that's a real :flammes-09: set up @ 37,000 rpm -- I calculated ~75mph

Oh, oh! Aero lift could be detrimental for my high speed only goal (65mph+) for this hull. Indeed, I remember the topic of air flaps on the UL-1. I think the consensus was to place 1/2" clear plastic 90-degree angles taped under the air dam. Is that what you're talking about?...
BTW properchopper, I like your reinforcement philosophy - that UL-1 fin attachment is a joke! :ThumbsDown01:mine broke after the first run... I still have to repair it. :tongue:

flraptor07
03-08-2015, 04:47 PM
It starts getting a little lite after about 60 but like I said mine needs to be dialed in and I have no doubt it'll run 65+ and be stabil. Did you see the video of mine running? That was the first time out, it's much better now. I really like the TP motors some of my fastest boats are TP powered. I haven't grenaded one yet and I tend to run set ups on the edge. I think they are a little inflated, Neu still is a much better motor but you pay 3 times the price. For the $ TPs are a great deal!

properchopper
03-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Thank you properchopper and flraptor07 for the great advice! Sorry guys, last time I ran a boat, Feigao and Neu were the only motor choices. TP Motors are new to me, the specs seem impressive for the money, exceeding Neu on paper, at least on the basis of wattage for the size and weight.

Are TP power ratings are inflated? How are the TP Motors working out for you?...

flraptor07, Holy Shnikies, that's a real :flammes-09: set up @ 37,000 rpm -- I calculated ~75mph

Oh, oh! Aero lift could be detrimental for my high speed only goal (65mph+) for this hull. Indeed, I remember the topic of air flaps on the UL-1. I think the consensus was to place 1/2" clear plastic 90-degree angles taped under the air dam. Is that what you're talking about?...
BTW properchopper, that UL-1 fin attachment was a joke! :ThumbsDown01:mine broke after the first run... I still have to repair it. :tongue:

I've had good luck with TP Power motors but then again I've become a little biased -[ Junlin and Zhenda of TP Power USA in mi casa :]

Actually after I repaired the turnfin on the UL-1 which tore off on the first run (early adaptor) I re-did the AoA of the sponsons and vented the air traps to the side. Boat ran great after that but mucho work.

Any YES getting old sucks ; 70 & 5/12 trips around the sun as of this month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOGrvQAIdnA

10gauge
03-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Guys, glad that TP is a solid performance/practice motor. I'll buy a TP 4050 or 4060 series and see if I can also use a Neu 15xx on the same mount once everything is dialed in, since I still have a bunch of Neu motors.

flraptor07: Impressive video for a first run!:rockon2: Nice job on turn 4. :tongue:
properchopper: Age?... Just count backwards, no one will notice. :):tiphat: