PDA

View Full Version : Gary Finlay 1/16 scale 1976 sprint hull ?

Andris Golts
03-06-2015, 12:19 AM
Hi all i was reading Dec 2001 back issue of RCBM the build article on the Finlay 1976 sprint hull and noticed mention of the inside edges of both sponsons having a 45 degree bevel 3/16'' wide and the same angle of bevel but 1/8'' wide on both sides of the belly pan. WHAT would be the purpose of the bevels ? I have always made sure all running surfaces on my hydros maintain razor sharp edges. I plan on using Leopard 28mm series motor on 2s in my build .Regards Andris Golts.

siberianhusky
03-06-2015, 06:45 AM
I've built a couple of the Finlay designs, I think the bevels are so the edges don't catch and trip the boat.
The first one I did had the bevels the second I made everything as square as possible. Didn't make a difference at the speeds I was running them, (4s UL-1 motor).
This winter I did some major mods on the pay n pak, removed the air traps on the bottom, cut an air exit into each sponson and changed the side to side angle of the running surfaces. Almost copied my Whiplash sponson design.
Old designs, not designed for modern power. Found the PnP was packing too much air under the hull limiting the top speed really hoping my changes limit the lift on the hull.