PDA

View Full Version : 1/10th Scale Modern driveline info

D. Newland
03-04-2015, 01:13 PM
The question about the 1/10th Scale Modern Drivelines has crossed my desk more times than anything else in FE. I get it, too, so allow me to offer some help.

I have reviewed this situation with, what I consider, the top 1/10th scale guys in the Pac NW, as well as the NAMBA President. We all concur that the NAMBA rule allows for a bent driveline in 1/10th Scale Modern.

I'm stopping there. I am not going to pursue a re-wording of the rule as that will require (yet another) rule proposal about 1/10 Scale.

With that said, please keep a few things in mind.

Yes, it could be written better. So could numerous other items in the NAMBA rulebook. Remember that it's the membership that has built our rulebook. NAMBA's membership consists of many people from different parts of the country, with many different types of educational backgrounds, with many different types of experiences, with many different types of writing styles, with many different levels of reading comprehension and with many different types of interpretation and opinion.

It is what it is. The only person that can interpret an ambiguous rule is a Contest Director. Knowing what I've said above (and I have saved the emails for documentation purposes), how do you think a CD is going to rule? Forget about your interpretation. It doesn't matter.

I don't see the need to propose, (again yet another) FE rule proposal to get the wording updated, because I feel the current rule can be REASONABLY INTERPRETED to allow a bent Modern driveline. And, I have backed up my feeling with the people I mentioned above.

Now, if you don't agree with what I am saying, grab the hoe. Get with your District Director and start working on the rule proposal process to get it the way you like it.

T.S.Davis
03-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Thanks Dave. I'm sure we'll continue to have this argument anyway but I appreciate you sharing none the less.

I may just tackle this fix myself if it keeps coming up.

D. Newland
04-03-2015, 11:36 AM
I'm adding some info from another thread to keep the relevant info about Modern drivelines in this thread.

From Mike McKnight, NAMBA Scale Chairman:

Yes. As the rules state in section 28 in General section. The shaft can be any shaft but it has to be a straight line from where it exits the hull through the strut. But in the sub section under Modern it says any shaft can be used. When I spoke with Dave Newland about it basically he and I and Robert Holland as well are in agreement that any shaft/stuffing tube can be used. It really should have been spelled out a little better like is it for other classes where the words bent or articulated are used. But, the Vintage section does not have this provision so I read that as following the rule in the General section. So any bend would have to be prior to exiting the hull. I hope I answered this well enough for you.

From thread: Scale Thread (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?50936-New-NAMBA-Scale-Chairman&p=619212#post619212)