PDA

View Full Version : How waterproof is a Seaking.

Zen
02-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Doing a electric conversion on a woodstuff 28. Any radio box is gonna be tough to get everything in there. My dilemma is I am using a Seaking 180 esc. It's higher then normal sized esc's and there some contraption on the wires that go to the battery that makes it frustrating. How waterproof is the Seaking? At this point I'm thinking of just letting the esc sit in front of the transom with rx and battery wires going into the box. I just don't know if I could trust the word waterproof. I could waterproof it myself I guess. Any other ideas?

tlandauer
02-22-2015, 07:33 PM
Doing a electric conversion on a woodstuff 28. Any radio box is gonna be tough to get everything in there. My dilemma is I am using a Seaking 180 esc. It's higher then normal sized esc's and there some contraption on the wires that go to the battery that makes it frustrating. How waterproof is the Seaking? At this point I'm thinking of just letting the esc sit in front of the transom with rx and battery wires going into the box. I just don't know if I could trust the word waterproof. I could waterproof it myself I guess. Any other ideas?
Which version?
I had my old V2 in the water for 40 min. and was bone dry, however, I was just lucky. Some people didn't fair as well. The plastic box is sealed with silicone and depending how well the person in the factory did his job that day.
No hands on experience with the V3 yet, the construction looks to be "real" water proof.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Spartanator
02-22-2015, 08:20 PM
I killed 2 SK180V2 models with water.... I had a Sk180V3 in my 32" CF Catamaran build up by kfxguy but the hatch seal kept the water out. The SkV3 models looks to have better sealing designs than the previous generation. I would get it in a water tight compartment before I did some custom waterproofing on it though...

Tim, what is that SK120V3 with the "grinding" going in? lol, couldn't help myself!

GO CIGARETTE!

Zen
02-22-2015, 08:52 PM
It's a V3. Got a bad feeling about the word waterproof. Gonna go Back to the drawing board and see if I can get it in the box. Thanks

Zen
02-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Well here what it says about the waterproofing.

Excellent waterproof design (rates as IP 67) allows this ESC to work in water without any extra precautions.
IP 67? :confused2:
At this point maybe purchasing a flatter esc is the way to go.

tlandauer
02-22-2015, 09:05 PM
I killed 2 SK180V2 models with water.... I had a Sk180V3 in my 32" CF Catamaran build up by kfxguy but the hatch seal kept the water out. The SkV3 models looks to have better sealing designs than the previous generation. I would get it in a water tight compartment before I did some custom waterproofing on it though...

Tim, what is that SK120V3 with the "grinding" going in? lol, couldn't help myself!
GO CIGARETTE!

Tyler, I have a BIG, BAD disease: I have to have spare parts, I bought it from you as a spare for the H&M cat. It will be in my "collection".

tlandauer
02-22-2015, 09:06 PM
What Tyler said is true, the V2 was a hit and miss, and the V3 seems to be designed with better thoughts for water proofing. I don't blame you for doubting the claims.

Zen
02-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Right on

kfxguy
02-22-2015, 11:32 PM
The v3 is definitely more waterproof then the v1 or v2 , I'd trust it. I have a v3 seaking 120 that got completely submerged for a while. Drained the water out, went back to business.

Spartanator
02-23-2015, 01:29 AM
IP 67 is a durability specification. I like to hoard parts too... Lol

tlandauer
02-23-2015, 01:32 AM
IP 67 is a durability specification. I like to hoard parts too... Lol

I figured at my present stage, it is still cheaper to buy parts than to enroll in some clinic to go through therapy. :doh::lol:

Zen
02-23-2015, 06:22 AM
I figured at my present stage, it is still cheaper to buy parts than to enroll in some clinic to go through therapy. :doh::lol:

Not if you have Obama care. So they say

tlandauer
02-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Not if you have Obama care. So they say
So far it's costing me $8000+ a year more. Had good health care for 22 years, then, boom!!

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Zen
02-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Hang in there buddy. It will get better in 2016.

riflemanbtx
04-23-2015, 10:40 PM
I had a Seaking 120 V3 underwater for a couple hours, that was just a bad day, not only did my boat sink other than the nose sticking up with the flotation but my recovery craft threw a prop and capsized... LOL So me and my buddy went to the house approximately 25 minutes away, loaded up the canoe and drove back out to the lake. We paddled out in the direction the wind was blowing, and about 10 minutes we found the airboat, but there was no sign of my other boat that was missing. mind you it was 2000 at night pitch black on a 2 mile lake with a canoe and flashlights LOL ... so we checked the bank where we were thinking the boat would have ended up... NOPE, so here we go out to the middle of the lake following the wind. and about 40-45 minutes later, we see a Red triangle bobbing in the water. Indeed we found it. Took it home put a new shaft on and powered her up... Good as new. I don't know if I was just lucky or the version 3 really is that waterproof. I will tell you this, i really recommend the seaking as a solid ESC, I have two of the 120 V3's in two different boats, both have been under water, and both keep right on ticking like a clock. hope this helps

riflemanbtx
04-23-2015, 11:06 PM
to add, I've had 6 different ESC's I bought off hobbyking, 4 were turnigy and the other two were a HK branded one. All of those blew and or failed. 3 were 120A one was a 60A and the last two were 50A since then Ive been buying the seakings and havent been looking back.