PDA

View Full Version : Outrigger project

ED66677
05-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Here's the idea, I want a new boat, this was the subject of a previous thread I posted.

I got to the conclusion that I wanted an outrigger, not for the look but for the fun... I want to go fast!

I got the drawing of the Predator from Climate Models and already re-draw it (with minor modifications) on Autocad in order to root the necessary parts with my home made CNC rooter.

Here's my proposal to those who are interrested...
- put together every boaters experience and knowledge
- design a thing that can easyly be scaled to everybody's need, ie I want it to run with my Feigao 8XL under 12-14 cells
- have a design that can be made from different material according to builder skill/budget, plywood, fiberglass, carbone...

Here are a guideline I already thougth about :
- each part (sponsons, tub) will be made of foam (medium density) and will be covered eigther with thin wood or fiberglass/carbon fiber, this technic is derivated from RC plane's wings I've built for many years
- slots will be made in tub's foam for battery location, receiver, servo, controler... same technic as electric beginner RC plane where each component fit perfectly in slots almost without reinforcement

Any ideas, good or bad, are wellcome!

Drunken Pirate
05-22-2007, 12:51 PM
wow, you have a home built CNC router? I would like to see pics of that.

As for the outrigger... I am not qualified to comment on that other than it would be nice to have some free plans for one.

ED66677
05-22-2007, 01:34 PM
hi Drunken Pirate,
check out my web site I updated it with some pics of my router, Dremel is not mounted but "sticker cutting head" is!

Drunken Pirate
05-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Wow, that is a beautiful work. That CNC router uses a Dremel for a cutting head? That takes some skill to build a machine like that. Touche!

ED66677
05-22-2007, 02:08 PM
yes Dremel cut wood, plastic (as my brushless ESC cooling plate), fiberglass and other non metalic material!
As you can see on DSCF2014.JPG the black brackets are originaly design to support 6oz cartrige (on automated dispensing machines from company Asymtek) witch have the same diameter as a Dremel except for the bottom where you can see an aluminium adapter, on the left of these bracket, the little brass tube is the "sticker cutting head"
Anyway... another good point here is to have free plans to share!!!

Steven Vaccaro
05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
The home made cnc is awsome! Very cool stuff!

ED66677
05-22-2007, 04:11 PM
it is!
so you all understand why it does not afraid me to build carbone prototype now, I've got a bunch of carbide tips, used on Printed Circuit Board professional router, and some with different shape for micro-milling, they are dead resistant, can cut glass as well! so carbon or fiberglass is a piece of cake! need to go slowly with 1/8" dia. tips, around 10 to 20mm/s in plywood with .5mm deep due to poor strengh of the Dremel but still can do a lot!

ED66677
05-22-2007, 04:57 PM
the CNC has about 60"x24"x5" XYZ stroke
I can cut pretty large parts

pompebled
05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
You're way ahead of me in terms of using Autocad and writing programmes for your CNC router.

We have a Large CNC router at work, but I can't work with this machine for reasons mentioned above...

Rigger; these are among the trickiest 'boats' around, it takes a lot of time to set it up properly, but using a tested design sure makes the start easier.

Check out the video's of the L.A. SAW where the 220Km/h mark is crossed by the German team.

Regards, Jan.

ED66677
05-23-2007, 01:39 PM
I saw this video, it's incredible how the motor howls! he's crying at his mum!!!

I don't write programs for my router I only draw with Autocad and import in the software that controls the CNC, piece of cake!!!

I know Rigger are the trickiest boat the setup, that's why I started this thread, I'm sure, several of us want to have one, one that is suit made to measure!