PDA

View Full Version : Revolt 30 cooling liñes

Aclinml
02-04-2015, 04:27 PM
I would like to replace the stock cooling lines in the Revolt 30 1800 kv setup. Will the 4mm thick lines that Kintec racing has be appropriate?

Thanks

P.s. sorry for the multiple posts. I will try to combine my questions next time.

RCBoaterGuy
02-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Hey Guy,
Several years ago I learned a lesson the hard way about cooling & boats...
Larger (inside) diameter water lines does not automatically mean greater water flow, in fact more often than not it does the exact opposite.

I've been using this stuff for several years... http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=LARGEWATER - with great results.

The stuff you want to get from Kintec is... 3mm x 5mm Silicone Water Line - Has an inside diameter of 3mm (1/8") and outside dia of 5mm (.197") - it's just above the lines you asked about. Same inside diameter as the Prather lines above. The inside diameter is only thing you need to be concerned with.

Also, there was tech notice issued for the Revolts' rudder... http://manuals.hobbico.com/aqu/aqub24-25-tech.pdf - I know from your other posts that you purchased the boat used, question is: did the previous owner do that mod??

Hope that helps you out...

Aclinml
02-04-2015, 08:00 PM
RCBoater.....thank you for your input. I did not know about the tech-note and the previous owner had not done that mod. So I will take my Dremel to it. Can you ellaberrate on you comment about larger diameter line sometimes not adding more cooling?

Thanks, I am trying to learn all I can,
Mike

tlandauer
02-05-2015, 12:20 AM
In most cases, the water flow volume is determined by the pick up. ( type of pick up, placement of the pick up, etc) If your rudder has a good tear drop shaped pick up, it will supply sufficient amount of water to correctly set up systems. On the other hand, if the tear drop shaped hole is not doing its thing, by using larger inner dia. hose you will not see a gain in flow, and, becaese of the larger hose, you might see "less urgent" water coming out of the outlet---which doesn't necessarily mean that the larger hose is not holding its end of the bargain.
Think of it this way, you have a garden hose, take the nozzle off and observe how far the water shoots out, not put back the nozzle and open half way, chances are that the water goes way further, but not at the same volume. Volume is quantity in a given time.
As said in post #2, those hoses are more than enough for your boat, just open up the hole per the tech-bulletin and enjoy.
All this is assuming that there is no unnecessary restriction and kinks in your cooling loop and no mismatch diameter hoses in the loop as well. Your ESC and motor jacket should also provide reasonable free flow .

RCBoaterGuy
02-07-2015, 04:50 AM
Mike,
tlandauer beat me to the punch - glad he did, I was coppin a brain fart on how to explain what I meant in post #2

There is something I would like to add to tlandauer's great reply... as you probably now know, there were two tech notice's issued for the Revolt, the second is about how the boat is run. The reason there's an issue is because the water intake is only on one side of the rudder.

Proboat puts intakes on both sides of the rudder, both my Impulse 31 & Miss Geico 29 are that way. I attached a couple stock pix (that I found on the net) of the Proboat Blackjack 29's transom / rudder area.

One pic shows the left side (facing rear) of the rudder, the other pic shows the right side of the rudder (side view). Notice there is a hole going all the way through connecting both sides - I drew red arrow's to the area in question. I honestly don't know if you can add an intake where needed.

One option would be to replace the stock rudder with an aftermarket part. Question is: is there a bold on replacement that does not require replacing 1/2 your transom hardware.

Nother would be to add a secondary water pick-up. I've seen several pix on this forum where the owner did just that. Take a look at this pic... http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub2100-motley-crew/aqub2100-inset2-lrg.jpg - you could get one of those pick-ups & mount it to the non-rudder side of the transom somewhere between the strut & trim tab.

Kintec has nice 5/32" "Y" Fitting's (see attached) - run the hose from the water P/U into one side & the rudder's pickup into the other side then feed the output hose through the transom like it is now.

Ok Mike, it's gettin late gotta call it a night.

RCBoater.....thank you for your input. I did not know about the tech-note and the previous owner had not done that mod. So I will take my Dremel to it. Can you ellaberrate on you comment about larger diameter line sometimes not adding more cooling?

Thanks, I am trying to learn all I can,
Mike

Aclinml
02-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Thanks, Boater. I've seen the other tech notice about 'don't make only left hand turns', and I have seen several optional pick up tubes on OSE and Kintec. I think I'll do some test runs, doing only right hand turns, then again doing both right and left hand turns (which is how I plan to run the boat), and measure the temps. If there is enough of a different between the two, I will order a second pickup tube.

Thanks for your help. I'm learning more every day!
Mike

RCBoaterGuy
02-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Your welcome Mike, glad I was able to help you out!

If your new to this hobby, then your going really like it. It's addicting as all hell, but it can also be very frustrating, there's so many variables - in just the prop alone, then add in all the other stuff.

Thanks, Boater. I've seen the other tech notice about 'don't make only left hand turns', and I have seen several optional pick up tubes on OSE and Kintec. I think I'll do some test runs, doing only right hand turns, then again doing both right and left hand turns (which is how I plan to run the boat), and measure the temps. If there is enough of a different between the two, I will order a second pickup tube.

Thanks for your help. I'm learning more every day!
Mike

Pedro Ramos
02-23-2015, 09:24 PM
128397128398128399hopefully this helps