PDA

View Full Version : Revolt 30 rudder questions.......,,.

Aclinml
02-04-2015, 03:53 PM
In looking over my new (but used) Revolt I noticed a couple of things about the rudder. Part of the way up the rudder, there is a 'ding' that looks like a rock hit it head on at some decent amount of speed. As far as the rudder itself goes, it looks like a little filing on both sides will clean most of it up. However, when I hold onto the bottom of the rudder I can move it back and forth about 2MM. I'm not talking about 'play' in the rudder direction left or right. I'm saying that if i grab the rudder with my thumb and forefinger, on each side of the rudder, there is a little 'play' in it. Like it is a little loose in hinge area. This is my first 'hobby grade' boat and I'm not sure how much play is normal?

2nd question.......I saw a post where someone mentioned that the rudder assemble has a nylon bolt or rod that was supposed to shear off in the event of a hard strike on the rudder. He said that it was too strong, and that it might be wise to 'pre cut' about 75% of the way through it to make it actually function properly. What are your opinions on this , and how do I access this bolt or rod?

Thanks guys,
Mike

longballlumber
02-04-2015, 07:16 PM
The ding will be fine, just take a metal file (fine) and knock down the high-spots until the rudder "wedge" surface is nice and smooth on both sides.

About the play in the rudder - I agree the fit could be better, but all of rudder assemblies I have used up to this point (same as your picture) I haven't found an issue. that same rudder assembly is also on the Lucas Oil and I used that same assembly on a different boat build.

I would always recommend a brass or nylon boat shear bolt. Personally, I've never found the need to pre-cut the bolt. The bottom of the 2 bolts holding the rudder blade on is the shear bolt. The rudder blade will hing on the upper bolt.

Later,
Mike Ball