PDA

View Full Version : flex cable

dude123
01-31-2015, 01:20 PM
Hey guys i am just wondering but how should i cut the flex cable? I was told once to use a dremel but not entirly sure? Thanks!!1

tlandauer
01-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Hey guys i am just wondering but how should i cut the flex cable? I was told once to use a dremel but not entirly sure? Thanks!!1
Yes, with a cut off wheel.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

dude123
01-31-2015, 03:09 PM
and then do i saughter the end to keep it together

Heath M
01-31-2015, 03:32 PM
Round the end off and solder about inch of the top all the way round.

wuzofoz
01-31-2015, 03:33 PM
cutoff wheel then solder

ray schrauwen
01-31-2015, 05:58 PM
Depending on how tight your stuffing tube bend is may determine how much you solder on the end.

tlandauer
01-31-2015, 07:13 PM
Depending on how tight your stuffing tube bend is may determine how much you solder on the end.
Ray, that is a great call! THE soldered bit can be at times a bit difficult to negotiate thru the bent, athough rarely. IMO the stuffing tube should not have a bent that will do that, but its possible.
Personaly i never solder my end, i cut my cable carefully and grind the end smooth and take care not to cause them to unravel.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

capnswanny
01-31-2015, 09:49 PM
Agree with above on cutting and rounding the nose a bit. Solder is optional but seems to keep the occasional stray strand from poking out. After I solder the end I smooth it with a bit of fine grit paper.
I would clean the end you intend to solder well with alcohol and a brush to remove oils and coat with flux before trying to add solder. Downside of soldering is that it somewhat anneals the metal, but I've yet to experience a failure or gripping problem using this method.
For SAW applications I would have to defer to the experts...

kfxguy
01-31-2015, 09:58 PM
I cut it with a cut off wheel, round it off. Then I scuff it up. Clean it with acetone or brake cleaner. Then I solder the last 1/2" of it with acid flux silver solder using a small propane torch. I have some water and a rag near by and when it's still hot I takeva wet rag and wipe across the excess. Not saying anything that I do is the best way, just how I do it and it works for me.

capnswanny
01-31-2015, 11:23 PM
That's why I like this place....what a bunch of cool guys to hang out with!!