PDA

View Full Version : ML Boatworks 1/10 Miss Renault.

785boats
01-22-2015, 03:13 AM
I ordered myself a Christmas present on Christmas day & it arrived yesterday.
An ML Boatworks Miss Renault. Hull #8303.
Even though I'm in the middle of building a 44" mono for myself & an 1/8 scale Executone for a fellow club member, I banged it together this afternoon.

http://mlboatworksrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38_40&products_id=55

A couple of things here first.
I'll be painting it in my own Wet Track Racing colours, & she will be called "Miss Wet Track"
It will be running clockwise so I swapped the bulkheads from left to right, & vise versa.

The frame went together with the usual ease of the ML kits. All except for a stoopid mistake on my part.:doh:
When I transposed the bulkheads, I forgot to transpose the main tub stringers. As they are of slightly different heights, because of the offset tub, I had to shave the top off one & add a bit to the other. No biggie.

This will be powered by a TP 4060 2180kv on 4s1p, through a Seaking 180 spinning an m447 prop (to start)

Here's a couple of pics from this afternoons' effort. The last one just shows the three hulls under construction together.

Cheers.
Paul.

flraptor07
01-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Paul, You're a wood boat building machine! Hell it would almost be worth the post to send you one to do for me!! :laugh: Keep up the nice work!!:thumbup:

ron1950
01-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Chris after rcracer gets some exp with the 10th scale we might try to put him in business of building wood boats locally lol

785boats
01-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Chris.
I just love working with wood.
I think you would find that postage from Oz to the States for a boat that size is horrendous.

JimClark
01-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Suprised they make it there in one piece.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Pitts
01-23-2015, 04:42 AM
My god Paul, do you ever stop????
Now I have to keep dropping in to this thread to watch the progress; I'll never get any work done!!!!
Surely you must have some you need to get rid of?? I could be interested!!!!

flraptor07
01-23-2015, 08:18 AM
Chris.
I just love working with wood.
I think you would find that postage from Oz to the States for a boat that size is horrendous.

Well Paul, I'm gonna try my hand at building a wood boat. I just got one of Shooter's P Sport Hydros, I really like the way he designed that boat....

T.S.Davis
01-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Woods fun to build with. I burned myself out one winter with 5 wood builds. Baked. Wood boats hold up too if you use quality epoxy.

785boats
01-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Hi Pitts.

My god Paul, do you ever stop????
I do slow down a bit when I'm asleep.:laugh:

Surely you must have some you need to get rid of?? I could be interested!!!!
I have no trouble parting with glass boats. But I would have a hard time selling any wooden ones that I've built for myself. Especially the ones that have won me a trophy.

Chris.
I've been liking the look of Shooters hull from the very start. It would be good to be the first to race one at our club. Might be my next build too.
I'm sure you will do a great job on it. There will be a build thread won't there?

Terry.

Woods fun to build with. I burned myself out one winter with 5 wood builds. Baked. Wood boats hold up too if you use quality epoxy.

Yep. CA & Epoxy is all that holds mine together. Haven't had one fall apart yet.

flraptor07
01-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah, I will be doing a build thread on it. I'll be starting on it as soon as I get back from Colorado next week.

Fella1340
01-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Your a machine! I can't believe how many beautiful boats you build and so fast! Keep up the good work.

785boats
01-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Thanks Fella.
We had our first practice day for the year on Sunday. First race day is in 2 weeks time. so the building time will slow down a bit then. Running 7 or 8 classes can take up a lot of maintenance time, sometimes.

785boats
01-26-2015, 09:47 PM
Australia Day holiday yesterday & an RDO today. So I got a bit done on this boat. As well as some on Rays' 1/8 scale.

I added a couple of bits of ply for the sides of the sump & put the skin on the bottom of the tub. By simply slicing the ply along the sides of the sump, it was attached as all one piece, except for the little angled piece at the front of the sump.

Then the panels were cut for the sponson bottoms, sides & ride pads. I always add some balsa on the chine piece around the nose for extra surface area for the glue to bond to. Adds a lot of strength.

Once the anti trip skins & side skins were added and shaped. The ride pads were shaped to fit & then epoxied on.
All the panels were pre bent by rolling them around a 4" steel post in the garage. That way there is very little pressure while trying to hold them in place as the epoxy cures.

The last thing I've done is cut & fit the main hull sides.
Now I have to sand & fair the top stringers & edges ready for the top skins.

Here's some visuals.

785boats
02-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Got this boat, & the other two that I'm building, to the sealing stage. So I sealed all three together. What fun.
Foam & top skins next. But I've got to get the 1/8 scale hydro out the door first so Ray can fit it out & paint it.

785boats
02-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Yesterdays effort was putting in the foam blocks & pouring the Ecofoam in the sponsons. I did Rays' 1/8 scale at the same time.
they spent the afternoon in the sun to make sure the foam had fully cured. Now the water outlet pipe & the blocks for the safety loop bullets can be fitted & then skins can go on.

785boats
05-24-2015, 12:37 AM
I've a bit remiss in my posting here lately. I've been building other boats for other people & trying to maintain my racing fleet. So I haven't been able to get much done.
The top skins have been on for a while & I've now given the boat a couple of coats of sealer.
I made up a motor mount from some aluminium angle & epoxied that in.
Got a good deal on a Castle 1515 2200kv motor so that's all bolted in too.
I bought a Vac-u-Pickle cowling some time ago & got that all trimmed to fit. Bought a spare too. They were only 10 bucks or so. It might be a bit small for a scale 1/10th but it is fine for a sports hydro like this.

So I spent this morning dry fitting the rudder & strut & stuffing tube.
Also made up a turn fin bracket & bolted on a turn fin for the .12 rigger from Zipp Kits.

Now I'll epoxy/glass in the stuffing tube, pull all the hardware off it & paint the thing.

The Queensland State titles are coming up on the Queens Birthday weekend. It's a three day meet & I've got to have it ready for the EA sports hydro class.
I haven't had an EA sports hydro all year so I've been running my little Restricted class ML Boatworks GP310. It's a bit of a struggle against the bigger more powerful boats but she's even won a race or two & placed in a couple of others. It's picked me up a few points anyway. And it's bags of fun.

Here's a few pics.

785boats
08-16-2015, 02:40 AM
Time for a bit of an update.
Some months ago I rushed a paint job onto this boat for the Queensland State titles. I used a Harlequin gold & pink paint that I thought would stand out on the water. But no. Unless the sun was hitting it at just the right angle, it just looked brown & was easily lost out on the water if it was upside down, or stopped. It went into the titles untested & with the clear coat still soft from the night before. Flipped it in two races but still came away with 3rd place for the meet after 5 heats. Different prop & strut settings for each race. Talk about test & tune on the fly.

Moving forward to now, I've been repainting it over the last few days with some rather garish colours so the guys at the club can see the thing out on the water now.

She also has a tendency to lift the 'outside' sponson in the corners, believe it or not, & get very light in the straights. Remember, it is a Scale hull & I'm racing it in the Sports Hydro class.
So as you'll see in the pics I cut a couple of "relief vents" ( for want of a better term ) in the skirts, to hopefully let some air out from under the front of the hull. I've got no idea if that will help or hinder the boat. But I'll try anything once.

Just did the final clear coat & took a few snaps. The colours are really much brighter out in the sun.
The last one is how it was at the State Titles.

Cheers.
Paul.

Scott T
08-17-2015, 07:10 AM
Very bright Paul, should make it easy for me to aim at! :laugh:

785boats
08-17-2015, 08:17 AM
Now that would ruin the day for both of us.:laugh::laugh:

785boats
08-22-2015, 02:24 PM
A few decals added. Ready for its first race day today in its new livery. Penrite oils are the sponsors whether they like it or not.

785boats
09-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Got a bit of a video of her at practice yesterday. Thanks to Warren for that. Still a bit of hopping to get rid of. But she's getting there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBqI2grYBnA

JimClark
09-06-2015, 07:48 PM
Looks good and fast

785boats
09-07-2015, 01:21 AM
Thanks Jim.Speed is good enough & will get better but she really slows down in the turns.