PDA

View Full Version : help with shockwave 26

okieman98
12-31-2014, 10:00 PM
i know this boat is slow can i but a different motor and still run 3s and use the same esc and make it alot faster it has the 1500kv motor and the upgraded prop from pro boat thanks

kfxguy
12-31-2014, 11:31 PM
I just bought a v3. I changed motor and esc and it's at 40mph on 3s right now. Same can be done with yours. I highly recommend just selling the stock motor and esc and get upgraded units. You need to add a little weight to it too. If you dont, it will not stay on the water. See this thread.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?49787-Just-picked-up-a-new-shockwave-26!&p=606436#post606436

okieman98
01-01-2015, 12:02 AM
what kv motor did u use.

kfxguy
01-01-2015, 12:06 AM
what kv motor did u use.

2400kv castle 1415 with a seaking 120. Over kill maybe, but it runs very well and cool.

RCBoaterGuy
01-01-2015, 11:38 PM
So there's now two different version 3's??

PB called this one version 3... http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB0650

Now your calling the new greenie version 3.... did I miss something??

IMO they "should have" called the one above version 2 since that's what it is. Actually it's a rebadged IM26, but you already knew that.

I just bought a v3. I changed motor and esc and it's at 40mph on 3s right now. Same can be done with yours. I highly recommend just selling the stock motor and esc and get upgraded units. You need to add a little weight to it too. If you dont, it will not stay on the water. See this thread.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?49787-Just-picked-up-a-new-shockwave-26!&p=606436#post606436

okieman98
01-01-2015, 11:47 PM
i think mine is a v2 or 3 who knows, i do like the new green. it came with the 1500kv motor and the 45 amp 3 s esc in white, i just looked to make sure. i been told to hang on to the 1500 kv because it will run 6s which i going to build soon. what motor upgrade can i do with this esc and what prop should i change to. trying to get ready over the winter. i will get one from hk(motor) any good suggestions

RCBoaterGuy
01-02-2015, 01:22 AM
Yours is the same as the two I have (1 brushed, 1 BL), technically it's version 2, but PB called it version 3.

Started out to convert the brushed to BL, but never finished the project. Boxed it up & put it in the closet till I figure out what to do with it.
Got BL version hull off eBay Aug 2014, put a 2000Kv motor in it w/Seaking 60A speedo, ran it on Sky-LiPo 3s 40/80C batts (22,200 rpm's) ran very very nice :banana:

Bumped up the motor timing a notch and all hell broke loose, kept trying to roll over, to left facing the back. So based on that experience I'm gonna say that 22k~23k rpm's is about the limit for that hull. I was only running a 2-pole motor - had it on hand.

Used the stock plastic prop on the maiden.

Went to Leopard's website, couldn't find any 36mm 4-pole motors in the 2000Kv range. HK has a bunch of motors with gray cans, but 11.1 volts is the limit on them, 3s off the charger = 12.6 volts. So doubt if they'll last very long, on 3s anyways.

So to answer your motor question... I'd look for a motor in the 2000Kv range, 4-pole if you can find one and run it on 3s.

Regarding ESC's, check the motor specs... if (for example) it pulls... say 40~45-amps at peak efficiency, double that for overhead - IE: 90A Seaking.

Regarding the 1500Kv motor, it will run 6s - BUT - that's 33,300 rpm's - from what I've read, 30k is the upper limit. 5s will yield 27,750 rpm's - nice improvement over the 1800 on 4s and you won't be running the motor at it's limit, food for thought...

i think mine is a v2 or 3 who knows, i do like the new green. it came with the 1500kv motor and the 45 amp 3 s esc in white, i just looked to make sure. i been told to hang on to the 1500 kv because it will run 6s which i going to build soon. what motor upgrade can i do with this esc and what prop should i change to. trying to get ready over the winter. i will get one from hk(motor) any good suggestions

kfxguy
01-02-2015, 01:22 AM
So there's now two different version 3's??

PB called this one version 3... http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB0650

Now your calling the new greenie version 3.... did I miss something??

IMO they "should have" called the one above version 2 since that's what it is. Actually it's a rebadged IM26, but you already knew that.

Well for some reason I thought they were calling it a v3, well I went back and looked and they don't call it a v3 or anything. My bad.

kfxguy
01-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Yours is the same as the two I have (1 brushed, 1 BL), technically it's version 2, but PB called it version 3.

Started out to convert the brushed to BL, but never finished the project. Boxed it up & put it in the closet till I figure out what to do with it.
Got BL version hull off eBay Aug 2014, put a 2000Kv motor in it w/Seaking 60A speedo, ran it on Sky-LiPo 3s 40/80C batts (22,200 rpm's) ran very very nice :banana:

Bumped up the motor timing a notch and all hell broke loose, kept trying to roll over, to left facing the back. So based on that experience I'm gonna say that 22k~23k rpm's is about the limit for that hull. I was only running a 2-pole motor - had it on hand.

Used the stock plastic prop on the maiden. Sent my IM31 SS prop (it's the same as the SW optional prop) out for S&B and the place f'ed it up something good, not sure what to do now.

Went to Leopard's website, couldn't find any 36mm 4-pole motors in the 2000Kv range. HK has a bunch of motors with gray cans, but 11.1 volts is the limit on them, 3s off the charger = 12.6 volts. So doubt if they'll last very long, on 3s anyways.

So to answer your motor question... I'd look for a motor in the 2000Kv range, 4-pole if you can find one and run it on 3s.

Regarding ESC's, check the motor specs... if (for example) it pulls... say 40~45-amps at peak efficiency, double that for overhead - IE: 90A Seaking.

Regarding the 1500Kv motor, it will run 6s - BUT - that's 33,300 rpm's - from what I've read, 30k is the upper limit. 5s will yield 27,750 rpm's - nice improvement over the 1800 on 4s and you won't be running the motor at it's limit, food for thought...

I haven't had an issue with any of them rolling. I had a 1512 castle in my v3 and it didn't roll. I've even used up to 52mm carbon props. I'm running a octura m645 on mine right now along with sometimes a 40mm 1.4 pitch cnc prop. This motor I have now is probably close to the 1512. Now my son's v3 acted a little funny on 4s with a big prop so he added some lead stick on weights to it on the right side rear and it fixed it. No idea why the right side, but it did straighten it out. Soon as I can get back to a pond I'll try it on 4s.

okieman98
01-02-2015, 02:16 AM
ok after looking at hk like u said going to have to replace them both. but just a thought if i could but this bl setup in a new hull maybe a different size to make it haul butt. so not just wast the guts, even if i had to sell it don't even know what to ask for them, ran the boat 4 times,

RCBoaterGuy
01-02-2015, 10:54 PM
About props....
Thanks for your help, it just looked so wrong compared with all the other props I have, specially the CNC props. It's Octura x642 for my IM31.

You mentioned a 40mm CNC prop... I have x438, x440, x442, x443 CNC props... any of those a good choice for this boat??

Mine was also rolling to the left (facing the back), that's why your puttin weights on the right. Reason?? The motor is rotating counterclockwise. Didn't have any probs with motor timing set to 7.5deg - the rolling issue started when I bumped the timing up to 11.25deg. Seaking 90A speedo, version 2.

I took my HW PB with me to the lake, timing change done at dockside. And it was the only change made. So obviously that's what caused the rolling issue. Sheer screw broke right after that, ended my day, didn't have spares, do now.

Check post #11 - I posted a free ' n' easy upgrade for the prop shaft & bushing - with a pic.

The shaft spins so much more smoother after that mod. Try it, you'll like it, trust me.

I haven't had an issue with any of them rolling. I had a 1512 castle in my v3 and it didn't roll. I've even used up to 52mm carbon props. I'm running a octura m645 on mine right now along with sometimes a 40mm 1.4 pitch cnc prop. This motor I have now is probably close to the 1512. Now my son's v3 acted a little funny on 4s with a big prop so he added some lead stick on weights to it on the right side rear and it fixed it. No idea why the right side, but it did straighten it out. Soon as I can get back to a pond I'll try it on 4s.

kfxguy
01-02-2015, 11:40 PM
There's nothing wrong with that prop. I don't do mine like that but I had one done by ose that looked just like that and it performed pretty well.

Yes weight was added to the right because it was picking the right side up and pulling one way.

RCBoaterGuy
01-03-2015, 01:16 AM
How did you like your SW26 with the CNC x440??

I'm sure the CC motors your using have plenty of torque, would certainly explain why the right side is picking up.

I deliberately went a milder motor in the hope's of striking a balance between speed & handling, got lucky I guess.

Saw your posts & pix of the new green one in another thread (can't find it now) you were gettin 29.7mph in basically stock trim. Maybe slow by your standards?? But I'd be happy with 30mph, if I could get it there, specially having seen the results of a simple timing change.

I'm gettin one of those TP motors from Doug for my IM31. That boat was designed to go fast, so that's where I'll invest my dime & time for a speed demon. Accept the SW26 for what it is, single batt fun boat.

There's nothing wrong with that prop. I don't do mine like that but I had one done by ose that looked just like that and it performed pretty well.

Yes weight was added to the right because it was picking the right side up and pulling one way.

kfxguy
01-03-2015, 01:59 AM
Thanks for your help, it just looked so wrong compared with all the other props I have, specially the CNC props. It's Octura x642 for my IM31.

So how did you like your SW26 with the CNC x440??

I'm sure the CC motors your using have plenty of torque, would certainly explain why the right side is picking up.

I deliberately went a milder motor in the hope's of striking a balance between speed & handling, got lucky I guess.

Saw your posts & pix of the new green one in another thread (can't find it now) you were gettin 29.7mph in basically stock trim. Maybe slow by your standards?? But I'd be happy with 30mph, if I could get it there, specially having seen the results of a simple timing change.

I'm gettin one of those TP motors from Doug for my IM31. That boat was designed to go fast, so that's where I'll invest my dime & time for a speed demon. Accept the SW26 for what it is, single batt fun boat.

I never tried the 440 cnc prop on my original shockwave or the new one. On the original I ran only carbon props. It liked a 48mm if i remember correctly. I ran a castle 1512 in it, which was downright unruly and uncontrollable on 4s. Did pretty decent on 3s.

The new boat I've run a cnc 443 and an m645 with the castle 1415. I like the 1415 much better, the boat is drivable and pretty fast on 3s. It does not roll or prop walk. It actually drives like it did stock. I did add some two part foam to the front because it had a little sheet of Styrofoam for floatation. ..which I doubt will float it should it fill with water. This new hull is stiffer. ..noticeably...and a little heavier. I did sharpen the rudder and the cnc prop for the next run. Should easily pass 40 on 3s and 50 on 4s....if it can handle it. I'll get some video of it.

In stock trim it do do right at 30 but the shaft was binding and then seized. I think it may have gone a little faster had that not happened. I still have the motor and esc that came in it....haven't decided what I'm doing with it just yet. Only has one run on them before i put the other stuff in.

okieman98
01-03-2015, 02:22 AM
thanks everyone yall have informed me on alot of info, i just may never be happy with this boat, because me need for speed and racing my son. so don't know it i want to spend any more money on it, if i sell it have know idea what it is worth, i like cats very much and want a hydro worst case i will turn it into a rescue boat. got to think on this some

kfxguy
01-03-2015, 11:06 AM
thanks everyone yall have informed me on alot of info, i just may never be happy with this boat, because me need for speed and racing my son. so don't know it i want to spend any more money on it, if i sell it have know idea what it is worth, i like cats very much and want a hydro worst case i will turn it into a rescue boat. got to think on this some

What size cat are you wanting? What's your speed goal?

okieman98
01-04-2015, 01:01 AM
30 inch are so is the size i like, been looking at the small bolt and the Genesis Offshore, and a few drag hulls. 50 mph are so:rockon2: also the new sea fire

kfxguy
01-04-2015, 11:49 PM
30 inch are so is the size i like, been looking at the small bolt and the Genesis Offshore, and a few drag hulls. 50 mph are so:rockon2: also the new sea fire

50mph? Cake. I did that with my shockwave 26 today.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/20150104_160828.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/20150104_160828.jpg.html)

If you want a car around 30" then here's some choices:
Mean machine (29.5")
Rivercat/apparition (32")
Cheetah (34")
Aeromarine sprint cat 40 (36")
Daytona/genesis (37")

These are the common ones I know about. I'm sure there are more.

RCBoaterGuy
01-04-2015, 11:58 PM
Kintec's got some m642 CNC props, bit smaller than your runnin - worth a try??

Also have CNC x444 & x445 - you seem to like the bigger props, think the 445 is also worth a try??

Less than $50 for both... Gettin ready to do an order, so ship $$ not an issue.

...In stock trim it do do right at 30 but the shaft was binding and then seized....
Try that prop shaft polishing mod I showed in post #11, I could really feel the diff just assembling by hand before lube - I use the Grim Racer grease.

Gettin a TP motor from Doug for my IM31 - decided to try the PB-1800 in my SW26 with Turnigy 120A marine ESC - just finished addin CC 5.5's for the esc<->motor & EC5 split tops for the batt.

Waiten for mixing cups so I can finish filling the front with foam, then final assy.

I never tried the 440 cnc prop on my original shockwave or the new one. On the original I ran only carbon props. It liked a 48mm if i remember correctly. I ran a castle 1512 in it, which was downright unruly and uncontrollable on 4s. Did pretty decent on 3s.

The new boat I've run a cnc 443 and an m645 with the castle 1415. I like the 1415 much better, the boat is drivable and pretty fast on 3s. It does not roll or prop walk. It actually drives like it did stock. I did add some two part foam to the front because it had a little sheet of Styrofoam for floatation. ..which I doubt will float it should it fill with water. This new hull is stiffer. ..noticeably...and a little heavier. I did sharpen the rudder and the cnc prop for the next run. Should easily pass 40 on 3s and 50 on 4s....if it can handle it. I'll get some video of it.

In stock trim it do do right at 30 but the shaft was binding and then seized. I think it may have gone a little faster had that not happened. I still have the motor and esc that came in it....haven't decided what I'm doing with it just yet. Only has one run on them before i put the other stuff in.

okieman98
01-05-2015, 07:14 PM
this is how mine is set up most like a lot of yalls 126378

okieman98
01-05-2015, 07:30 PM
guys i still new at this so i ask some dumb questions but u have a new 22kv motor if i change it out and run the same esc on 3s will i gain anything are burn something up

kfxguy
01-05-2015, 09:34 PM
guys i still new at this so i ask some dumb questions but u have a new 22kv motor if i change it out and run the same esc on 3s will i gain anything are burn something up

Probably smoke the esc

RCBoaterGuy
01-06-2015, 02:21 AM
Stock ESC's are barely adequate. That applies to most RTR's, not just the SW26's.

Case in point... the new green SW26's... went to Dynamite RC's website & got the manual for the motor in those boats, second line down it states "Max Current 100A". But the stock ESC is only rated at 30A:confused2:

Surf through this forum and look at the mods guys do to their RTR boats... Revolt 30, Motley Crew, Lucas Oil, Impulse 31's (v1 & v2), list goes on. One of the first changes is to replace the stock ESC with a Seaking / Turnigy 120A or 180A unit. There's a reason for that... :wink:

New motor = new ESC - if you want trouble free performance.

okieman98
01-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Stock ESC's are barely adequate. That applies to most RTR's, not just the SW26's.

Case in point... the new green SW26's... went to Dynamite RC's website & got the manual for the motor in those boats, second line down it states "Max Current 100A". But the stock ESC is only rated at 30A:confused2:

Surf through this forum and look at the mods guys do to their RTR boats... Revolt 30, Motley Crew, Lucas Oil, Impulse 31's (v1 & v2), list goes on. One of the first changes is to replace the stock ESC with a Seaking / Turnigy 120A or 180A unit. There's a reason for that... :wink:

New motor = new ESC - if you want trouble free performance.

Motor seen above pulls 27A @ peak efficiency - now look @ the ESC - no hiccups & both ran stone cold. I ordered the 120 from china so waiting the 22kv I already have is going to be to much an 3 s right

okieman98
01-07-2015, 01:17 AM
well just rereading everything trying to soak it all in, i am old and a little slow lol, but u guys are teaching me alot of stuff very quickly. i also have a motley crew which i really like. i have a very low budget and only can order once a month . so i am always trying to look a little ahead. since i am gutting the sw26 and putting new esc and motor in it. that leaves me with some good parts left to use in a new hull. what would be a good choice for these left overs, a rigger , hydro plane are buy something like the tfl small bolt and swap the stuff out . thanks to all of u

okieman98
01-07-2015, 01:27 AM
Set mine quite a bit different than that... see attached - pix taken just before maiden run. Was easily doing the same speeds as kfxguy's green machine in stock trim - 28~30mph on glass water.

ESC has been replaced with Turnigy 120A I recommended in earlier post - last night installed Castle 5.5's for motor<->esc & EC5 split tops for the batt. Got some clear RTV from the maintenance guy @ my apts earlier today to fill in the open area where the motor wires / water pipes come out. It was stone cold, have to wait overnight to get to room temp. Will take before / after pix tomorrow.

Motor is going to PB-1800Kv (gray can & cooler) from IM-31 attached to hull with IM31 motor mount & connected with Octura 5mm->.150" short coupler.

Prop was stock plastic - now optional stainless S&B'ed. Going to experiment with other size's on third run. Second run will be test new setup.

Prop shaft + bushing polished per instructions above.

Water lines are Prather... http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=LARGEWATER

Servo = Traxxas 2075 high speed, high torque, ball bearing. Hold down strap = home made from K&S stainless stock. Rudder pushrod was IM31 cut down - now home made, HOR racing 120mm dual threaded 2mm rod with blue DuBro ends.

Receiver = Tactic TR-624 water proofed with this stuff... http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape - see attached pix - balloons are bad, attract condensation, condensation is bad.

External antenna's create drag, drag slows down your boat. Antenna hole plugged with epoxy.

Hull - mixing cups arrived today, now can finish filling the front with foam to make it stiffer - will take updated pix when complete.

Summary, a boat that goes fast & handles good is the product of attention to the details, not the one with the biggest, baddest most powerful motor. Doesn't matter if it's a plastic RTR or a Revolt 30 / IM31 / Lucus Oil / UL-1, etc etc.

Hope that helps...

did u open up the receiver to treat it. just trying to understand what i see in the photos

RCBoaterGuy
01-07-2015, 04:09 AM
Yes - the 624's have 4 tabs, 2 on each side - see attached - I drew a line to the top 2. Use small jewelers screwdriver - start at one corner & work my way around. Reason for the 6-chan rx's is cuz they have short external antenna, lot cheaper too - get'em for as little as $10 shipped. -- 324's have internal antenna only, I've had too many issues with them on water, work great on land though.

Clean the circuit board with denatured alcohol to remove any solder flux residue that might be on it from touch-up work done at the factory. Then clean with Ajax dish soap & hot water, blow dry.

Harness was made with wires from servo's / ESC's that went bad. Cover the 2 outside pins & every other in the middle, wrap a layer of electric tape around them to keep the coating off. Hook a paperclip through the top to hang it up.

Do three layers... first is lite, let cure for 4~6hrs. 2nd coat little thicker, cure overnight. 3rd coat is thickest, then cure for a couple days.

After re-assembling, put Testors Window Maker glue on the tabs to keep water out. Cover the top 4 sets of pins with a layer of electric tape, glue it down. Look @ 2nd pic in post #25, double click it'll go full screen, take a look @ the Rx, you can see the ports that have been covered.

First one I did is in the Tower Hobbies boat referenced in post #11. Like I said in the post, boat rolled over, took on a lot of water. Drained it out, put the boat back in the water & kept on goin.

2nd is in the SW26; it too got wet on the maiden run, again no issues - motor cooler was leaking a bit that's how the water got in.

did u open up the receiver to treat it. just trying to understand what i see in the photos

RCBoaterGuy
01-07-2015, 04:40 AM
I'm 60... is that old:laugh:

Get one check a month, VA pension. So like you I only so much $$ to go round.

Recommendation... put your SW26 left overs in your parts box for now and concentrate on fixing up your MC first... It too will benefit from an ESC upgrade to one of those Turnigy 120A units.
And these driveline parts... http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-cable-mcrew -- http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=OSE-80990 -- http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfhe5mm15S

If you don't have a metal prop, then you should consider getting one. Don't know enough about that boat to make recommendations. Here's the section for the MC's... http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/forumdisplay.php?64-AquaCraft-Lucas-Oil-amp-Motley-Crew-Brushless-Q-amp-A -- I'm sure you'll find plenty of info on prop size's & the all important strut setup recommendations.

Regards,

well just rereading everything trying to soak it all in, i am old and a little slow lol, but u guys are teaching me alot of stuff very quickly. i also have a motley crew which i really like. i have a very low budget and only can order once a month . so i am always trying to look a little ahead. since i am gutting the sw26 and putting new esc and motor in it. that leaves me with some good parts left to use in a new hull. what would be a good choice for these left overs, a rigger , hydro plane are buy something like the tfl small bolt and swap the stuff out . thanks to all of u

okieman98
01-07-2015, 03:33 PM
understand now thanks, i will give it a try

okieman98
01-07-2015, 03:40 PM
I'm 60... is that old:laugh:

Get one check a month, VA pension. So like you I only so much $$ to go round.

Recommendation... put your SW26 left overs in your parts box for now and concentrate on fixing up your MC first... It too will benefit from an ESC upgrade to one of
those Turnigy 120A units.
And these driveline parts... http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-cable-mcrew -- http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=OSE-80990 -- http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfhe5mm15S

If you don't have a metal prop, then you should consider getting one. Don't know enough about that boat to make recommendations. Here's the section for the MC's... http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/forumdisplay.php?64-AquaCraft-Lucas-Oil-amp-Motley-Crew-Brushless-Q-amp-A -- I'm sure you'll find plenty of info on prop size's & the all important strut setup recommendations.

Regards,
those are on the order list for next month thanks

okieman98
01-07-2015, 06:56 PM
those are on the order list for next month thanks

50 here and i know about one check a month for sure,( navy)

RCBoaterGuy
01-08-2015, 07:11 PM
22Kv might be too much, hard to say. I've been fiddling with boats off / on for the past 3 somethin years. If there's one thing I've learned it's: there's a crap load of factors that affect how fast a boat goes & how well it handle's.

They can be very temperamental & frustrating - but when you get it right & the boats performing good, it's very satisfying - makes for a fun afternoon @ the lake.

Timing... start your setup at zero degree's timing & run it for awhile see how she does. If she runs good, then bump it to 3.75-deg & see what happens, more timing = more power = more speed - to a point, as I discovered.

Program boxes make dockside changes much easier. HK sells this one... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7187__Turnigy_Speed_Controller_Programming_Card. html - stay on it for a few minutes & a "One time only offer!" box pops up with $5.69 price - click the files tab->face plate 2 - it's for boats. The HobbyWing boxes also work fine with the Turnigy's.

I ordered the 120 from china so waiting the 22kv I already have is going to be to much an 3 s right

okieman98
01-10-2015, 01:43 AM
looks good thanks for the photos of everything helps a lot , since i am waiting for the esc, and putting some money in it i might as well doll it up a bit. going to tear it down in the next few days. remove all the stickers and repaint it. i found a couple of nicks. i need to buff down and find some kind of body fill to use on this abs. have not had time to open up the receiver as yet. my last kid is a senior this year and plays ball. and been at bb games, but had a proud dad moment tonight she got home coming queen. anyway back to the boat. still debating on motor size , got to order one of the program cards.

RCBoaterGuy
01-10-2015, 03:25 AM
Glad to help - good hear your kid made you a proud dad, no amount of $$ in the world can buy that:wink:

Regarding motors, suggestion... hold off for now. My boat is almost ready to go, need to finish adding expanding foam up front & a little in the canopy in case it blows off. All other upgrades are complete.

Once that's done, then can reassemble & take her for a test run. The 1800 PB motor is a lot more potent than the one I used for the maiden (6-pole marine vs 2-pole car). It may prove to be too much, it may not, only time will tell. Please remember, we're talking a thin plastic hull, it can only handle so much power.

Once I see how the boat performs with the 1800, then I'll be in a far better position to offer sound advice based on real world experience. IF, the 1800 works good... fine, you can look for one in the swap shop. If not, then we can go to plan B.

Meantime let me ask you about your battery inventory... how many 2s, 3s, 7-cell (8.4v) humps & so on. Hang with me, I have a good reason for asking:wink:

looks good thanks for the photos of everything helps a lot , since i am waiting for the esc, and putting some money in it i might as well doll it up a bit. going to tear it down in the next few days. remove all the stickers and repaint it. i found a couple of nicks. i need to buff down and find some kind of body fill to use on this abs. have not had time to open up the receiver as yet. my last kid is a senior this year and plays ball. and been at bb games, but had a proud dad moment tonight she got home coming queen. anyway back to the boat. still debating on motor size , got to order one of the program cards.

okieman98
01-10-2015, 01:17 PM
right now i have 4
Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 2S 35~70C Lipo Pack
2 3s 40c 5000 mah flight max

ok, will do on the motor,

okieman98
01-11-2015, 06:24 PM
well don't know what to do now, i sat down today today to tear her down and found some damage . guess one of the kids did something only had the boat in the water 3 times.126600126601

dont know if i need to find a new hull are just patch it and run it and don't fret on paint and stuff

kfxguy
01-11-2015, 07:11 PM
O dang! What now? Time for a new one? Beware that the flex is going to lock up in it without mods....

RCBoaterGuy
01-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Your in luck!! :banana:

I have a spare hull, brand new never been in the water :w00t:

Bought the SW26v3 brushed version July 2013 (brand new) with the intent of converting it to brushless using the Proboat 1500Kv motor & 45amp ESC from MG29v1, but never finished - one of these days I'll list the motor, ESC + program card in the swap shop.

After doing the pre-maiden run clean up, during re-assembly I noticed the motor & mount assembly moved up'n'down a bit more than I was comfortable with (*because the plastic in that area kinda thin*), thought to myself, the 1500Kv motors are torquey so that might cause probs. Started out to reinforce the hull with fiberglass, but never finished. **That was one of the factors that played into my decision to go with a 2-pole motor, to reduce stress in that area.

After seeing how well the boat pictured in post #25 ran, I put the brushed one back in the original box with manual(s), decal sheets, stand, etc & put it in the closet where it sits to this day.

So far I've sanded the sides of the hull (interior only) with course sandpaper so the fiberglass resin will stick (finishing epoxy can also be used). And laid fiberglass tape in the motor area, it's tacked down with CA glue. This is the stuff I used... http://www.cstsales.com/glass_tape.html

Like I told kfxguy in post #14, want to focus my efforts on my IM31 & have the SW26 for a fun boat.

Regards,

well don't know what to do now, i sat down today today to tear her down and found some damage . guess one of the kids did something only had the boat in the water 3 times.126600126601

dont know if i need to find a new hull are just patch it and run it and don't fret on paint and stuff

okieman98
01-21-2015, 12:58 AM
up date, ordered replacement hull, and still waiting for the esc to come in,

Tamelesstgr
02-06-2015, 08:54 AM
What cooling jacket is used on the Tacon 2858-380XL-14T Brushless Motor??

okieman98
02-06-2015, 05:04 PM
ok got hull and esc in. got to really decide what size motor i have to get. thanks rcboaterguy for the replacement.will start a tear down this weekend , hopeful this flu is on its way out now

RCBoaterGuy
02-08-2015, 12:08 AM
I used this one... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19444__Water_Cooling_Jacket_for_36_Size_Motor.ht ml - for the maiden run. Once I got it positioned right, it kept the motor nice & cool on full throttle runs, which is how I ran it mostly. Power was supplied by a Sky LiPo 4000mAh 3S 40C battery. Ran stock plastic prop on maiden; had Chris (www.dasboata.com) apply his magic to the optional SS prop for the next testing session.

I am very happy with how well the boat ran**, but wanted to make some improvements. During re-assembly I could not get that cooler positioned correctly so it kept leaking during pressure testing - it's because of the longer can.

Don't if you noticed but that's a 60mm long can. Hard to get the cooler positioned so the O-rings will seal up on the front part of the motor & the last fin. So got one of these coolers... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15110__Water_Cooling_Jacket_Silicone_Suit_HobbyK ing_Vanquish_1075mm_Boat.html - lot bulkier, but no leaks.

Originally got that Tacon motor for another project, but it proved to be a bit too much power** Didn't want to hassle with a new motor mount in that boat, needed the extra can length so I could put a aluminum cooling coil on the back side.

**Reason the motor proved to be too much for the original boat & made the SW26v3 haul butt is because it's really a 2044Kv motor (+ the extra torque from the 60mm can) - measured with one of these... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10335__Hobby_King_K1_RPM_KV_meter_for_BL_motors. html?strSearch=rpm%20m on 3S Battery. Just got that meter today, and just tested the motor before NHRA qualifying started on the deuce.

The blue aluminum cooler works fine on the shorter Tacon (and HobbyWing) motors like this one... http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m272-2848-2100kv-18t.html and these... http://www.hobbypartz.com/3330kv-rc-brushless-car-motor.html

One of the improvements I made was to replace the stock SW26 motor mount with a IM31 mount (PRB4260), the holes for the hull mounting screws are 4mm rather than 3mm, gives some extra wiggle room to get better motor shaft / flex shaft alignment for smoother driveline operation. Also polish your prop shaft & bushing - see post #11.

I also covered hull reinforcement in that post, I'm in the process of doing that upgrade now, almost finished. Really stiffens the front of the boat, just feels a lot more solid. Have a feeling that's going to help tame the nose bouncing you see in a lot of the vids of these boats. Won't have to run the trim tabs so tight, allowing the boat to run looser for better speeds on smooth water.

Ok, this post is long enough, any more questions - feel free to ask.

What cooling jacket is used on the Tacon 2858-380XL-14T Brushless Motor??

Tamelesstgr
02-09-2015, 08:47 AM
My gosh, thank you for all the great information and links! :thumbup1:

RCBoaterGuy
02-10-2015, 03:46 AM
Your welcome!!

The blue motor above on 2S = 22,200 rpm's same as the Tacon on 3S - for sale if your interested. Have too many motor's & radio's, couple spare ESC's too, trying to clear out the excess.

Have a pair of 2.4GHz surface radios with Rx's available also.

Will be posting updates of recent upgrades soon. Need to finish adding expanding foam to the front end, then can re-assemble.

My gosh, thank you for all the great information and links! :thumbup1:

okieman98
02-20-2015, 12:04 AM
ok i ordering this servo need a mount from hk if they have them could not figure out what to order, also need a servo arm for the linkage that will fit this servo
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28971__H_King_High_Torque_Waterproof_Analog_Serv o_40g_4_5kg_cm_0_13s_60.html

tlandauer
02-20-2015, 12:20 AM
ok i ordering this servo need a mount from hk if they have them could not figure out what to order, also need a servo arm for the linkage that will fit this servo
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28971__H_King_High_Torque_Waterproof_Analog_Serv o_40g_4_5kg_cm_0_13s_60.html
I don't know much about HK servo, but I would prefer a metal shaft rather than a nylon one, they have so many, are there any other that can fit your bill but with a metal shaft?

okieman98
02-20-2015, 03:19 PM
i dont know about servos this was one someone said would work and it was pretty cheap so i just went with it. have not ordered as yet so i am open to suggestion and mounts and arms

tlandauer
02-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Well, I usually prefer to have metal gears inside and a metal shaft . Also look for "BB" notation. It means the critical turning points are supported with bearings instead of a bushing.
Are you looking for a "standard" size servo? Lots of them, just go to their site and scroll everyone, they are all much less expensive than Futabas and Airtronics or Hitec for that matter. I think it is worthwhile to spend one or two dollars more to get the best you can. As for water proofing, the ones which are really built that way use gaskets between the casing and rubber "O" rings to seal the shaft. I am sure the wires are also sealed with some kind of grommet. So the next best thing is to open the case and spray Corrosion X if you aren't sure the servo is 100% water proof.
As for the mount, I don't know the boat, can't advise you, pictures would help, but I imagine it depends whether the servo is standing up on laying on its side.

RCBoaterGuy
02-20-2015, 08:30 PM
Jeff,
Your making this project farrrrrrrrrrrr more difficult than it needs to be:crying:

Get a traxxas 2075 servo - Waterproof, Digital, High Speed, High Torque, Ball Bearing - they fit & work perfect.

You can get them from eBay or the forums for $20 - I got one for Miss G from this forum, $20 delivered.

I included the factory stock servo pushrod with the hull, it's in the plastic baggie with the manual. Look in the main box, there's 2 boxes that the boat was suspended in, look under flap of the longer one, I put that baggie in there.

Don't remember if I included the servo horn (aka servo arm) or not, but the one that is attached to the Dynamite servo that came with your boat, the one that got damaged, it fits the traxxas servo's just fine.

I also included both of the plastic servo hold downs, since I made my own stainless steel copy. I screwed them into place in the hull. Yes, they too fit the traxxas servo just fine.

Did you manage to get the motor in place??

Ok, motor mount showed up from China today, time to epoxy it into place, got the hull ready couple days ago - rescue boat.

Almost done with Mini-V too, found lots of great info on this forum, got me unstuck off of stupid.

okieman98
02-21-2015, 12:57 AM
ok will look it up just about finished sanding the hull and paint already in. just need to finish the deck and will be ready to go. thanks

okieman98
02-21-2015, 01:31 AM
Jeff,
Your making this project farrrrrrrrrrrr more difficult than it needs to be:crying:

Get a traxxas 2075 servo - Digital, High Speed, High Torque, Ball Bearing - they fit & work perfect - See attached pix... far better than Hobby Krap servo's.

You can get them from eBay or the forums for $20 - I got one for Miss G from this forum, $20 delivered.

I included the factory stock servo pushrod with the hull (last picture with this post), it's in the plastic baggie with the manual. Look in the main box, there's 2 boxes that the boat was suspended in, look under flap of the longer one, I put that baggie in there.

Don't remember if I included the servo horn or not, but the one that is attached to the Dynamite servo that came with your boat, the one that got damaged, it fits the traxxas servo's just fine.

I also included both of the plastic servo hold downs, since I made my own stainless steel copy. I screwed them into place in the hull. Yes, they too fit the traxxas servo just fine.

Did you manage to get the motor in place??

Ok, motor mount showed up from China today, time to epoxy it into place, got the hull ready couple days ago.

Almost done with Mini-V too, found lots of great info on this forum, got me un-stuck off of stupid.

i am actually doing 4 boats now at a the same time the one i got from you, building a rescue boat and going to try to repair the other damaged hull for the kids to use, also have the 3o inch mono scratch build to so jumping back in forth in between part orders . but with my limited knowledge of decent parts like the servo i have to careful what i order sometimes. i ordered the one u said a few ago from ebay thanks

RCBoaterGuy
02-21-2015, 02:11 AM
Don't feel alone...

You know bout the planes, found all the parts for the P-38 back east & did an order yesterday - 3ea of everything + a canopy for the disco'ed heli.

Started a PB Mini-V project just shy of 2-years ago, got so far then stuck on stupid. She's bin sittin on a closet shelf begging for attention ever since.

Found a bunch of awesome threads on this forum related to that boat, in one they were talking about using the Octura prop shaft I tried giving away at Xmas. Glad nobody took it, that got me started. In under 7-days she went from closet queen to being ready for her maiden, just finished bout 1/2hr ago, going for 1st run tomorrow.

And like you, gettin busy with the rescue boat... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYLH5**&P=SM - got fed up with the Captain Kangaroo Micky Mouse motor mount & yanked it out. Got one of these... http://www.tobsd.com/ViewDetails.aspx?ProductID=288 - very very nice, glad I picked that one. Hull's prepped, just need to epoxy it in.

Still working on my SW, poured more foam in yesterday, but screwed up & put it all on one side instead little each side, now need more foam to finish.

Miss G gets attention when I can fit her in.

Hey FYI on the SW's rudder pushrod... http://www.horizonhobby.com/rudder-pushrod%3Aim31-prb4265 - cut off the excess threads on both side's so the swivel links screw down to the smooth part & it fits perfect. That's what's in those pix I posted earlier.

Take Care

i am actually doing 4 boats now at a the same time the one i got from you, building a rescue boat and going to try to repair the other damaged hull for the kids to use, also have the 3o inch mono scratch build to so jumping back in forth in between part orders . but with my limited knowledge of decent parts like the servo i have to careful what i order sometimes. i ordered the one u said a few ago from ebay thanks

okieman98
02-21-2015, 05:21 PM
ok thanks i will order one of the push rods, still need to find the arm that will fit that servo getting a hk order ready because i need a tx, getting one of those gt3 that will do 10 models over all it will save me some money. i notice u had some for sale pm me the price

okieman98
02-21-2015, 10:05 PM
i painted the hatch today. looked good still need to clear it pic does not make it look as good as it is

RCBoaterGuy
02-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Dang...
Is that the one I sent you??

What kinda paint did you use?? -- That thing looks sharp!! -- Great paint job!!

i painted the hatch today. looked good still need to clear it pic does not make it look as good as it is

okieman98
02-22-2015, 10:36 PM
Yes that is the hatch from that boat, used epoxy from the local paint supply think it was kirker

okieman98
02-23-2015, 10:50 PM
it has 4 coats, wish i would have wet sanded it once more time, but i am happy with it. ready to do the hull but ice and snow storm has moved in so cant get out side i guess i will raid my buddy's shop to Finnish lol

Tamelesstgr
02-23-2015, 11:12 PM
I need to come up with a paint scheme for our Shockwave 26. Was wondering if the normal lexsn body spray cans would be flexible enough for the coating.

okieman98
02-24-2015, 01:54 AM
t don't know that one but u can get a primer for plastic that work well and you can cover with a lot of different types of paint. wally world here stocks it and works good used and sanded before, oh also pre heated paint in hot water to get it to flash and flow better

okieman98
02-25-2015, 09:43 PM
well painted hull base coat today will clear tomorrow, will post before and after when i get it cleared and dry to move around

okieman98
02-26-2015, 04:19 PM
ok here u go finished it today, so starting on the second one, tearing it down to repair some damage. here is what it looked like before and now

okieman98
02-26-2015, 08:49 PM
I need to come up with a paint scheme for our Shockwave 26. Was wondering if the normal lexsn body spray cans would be flexible enough for the coating.

this is how we do atv fenders they flex alot so i looked this up for you, this has a step by step how to do it. it will also work for plastic abs boats. i am told.
http://www.urethanesupply.com/atvpainting.php i used the same method on my hull i just did, but i got paint from auto paint supply shop in spray cans. and took rcboaterguy suggestions . and preheated paint it did do very well and layer out good.

okieman98
02-26-2015, 09:03 PM
i am still thinking on the second hull i have, and going with different color maybe red are yellow not sure yet have time still to decide. still need to order in motors for them and one more esc. waiting on some parts now for the painted one.

okieman98
03-03-2015, 07:51 PM
ok here is a pic of the hull i repaired . just could not chunk it. so the color is apple red my cheap cam does not do it justice, it is like a mirror.learned a lot and really enjoying the builds and communication i have had and the knowledge that had guided me along the way.128662

Tamelesstgr
03-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Nice job, I am really looking forward to my rebuild/repower. Custom paint is on my list.

okieman98
03-09-2015, 02:17 AM
Nice job, I am really looking forward to my rebuild/repower. Custom paint is on my list.

this is really my first build and have really enjoyed it. it helps me pass time and i enjoy the sport. since i have got into the boats my helis have been doing alot of setting. but i still get the bug to fly. cant wait to Finnish and do some testing. i am still waiting for some parts to come in from overseas and me and my wife fly out to fla in the am sat morning, (cruz time) since we started packing, i have found our video cam so i can tape some runs. with all the upgrades. still looking on how to find are make some good decals. but i did luck out and found a guy that does custom wraps for cars, he is only 20 miles away, i talked to him about boats and he said he can do it without any trouble . so when i do the next one i going to let him do the custom work on it and wrap the post. be gone 10 days so when i get back parts should be in and i can start back in.

okieman98
03-23-2015, 12:04 AM
well got back into town and parts are in so have to pick them usps tomorrow. after painting the red one i did not like it so started sanding it down to do a color change. fix to assemble one so i can start testing getting warm days now. got to a inventory and make sure i have everything i need.

Tamelesstgr
03-23-2015, 08:54 AM
I've got some parts on order finally. Assortment of props to try, epoxy, foam flotation, temp gun, and planning my paint layout as well.

okieman98
03-23-2015, 09:09 PM
post up some pics

okieman98
03-23-2015, 09:32 PM
ok i got these for the shock wave, but i need water cooling jackets http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17717__XK3665_B_2100KV_Brushless_Inrunner.html

was looking at these will they fit this can. 540 Water Jacket Beautifully machined aluminum water jacket. Threaded hose fittings that wont come loose. Fits most 540 size motors. 36mm ID x 44mm long. Spare o-rings included. $13ea

Tamelesstgr
03-25-2015, 10:25 AM

New items and the bare hull. Just need to finish my bathroom remodel and I can get started on prep work of the hull. Really like the color combination of this former Titan hull I found on the web, I believe it was a member here?

okieman98
03-25-2015, 02:03 PM
yah the red and white looks good.would look good on your hull to

Tamelesstgr
04-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Been working on getting ready to reinforce the motor mount area with fiberglass and epoxy. Started thinking I'd like to add some cowl feature to the back hatch. Hacked up one of my son's old toy cars to give a scale looking feature to the Shockwave (Who we are now calling "Project Slingshot")

okieman98
04-01-2015, 06:05 PM
looking good, i started sanding again on the red one about 1/2 done, did not like the color after it cured. i am fix en to do the same thing, the reinforcing the bottom.post up photos when u get started.

Tamelesstgr
04-23-2015, 10:03 AM
Any updates on your shockwave? I've finished epoxying mine, need to start sanding, still toying with paint scheme ideas, but it's warming up in Chicago and my house projects are winding down.

Tamelesstgr
04-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Hey Bruce, I did finally complete the epoxy application on the problem areas. Feels rock solid now, it's not the purdiest, but I'm learning. I'll add some new pics to my build thread I started. I want to take a shot at fabricating some trim tab / turn fins that are a little bigger.

Still thinking about the paint scheme. I want to do a water droplet effect I saw on YouTube on the top of the hull and hatch that was pretty neat. On the sides of the hull, maybe a little carbon fiber effect and then the logos.

I'm still half tempted to just put her back together and see what she runs before paint, 30-40 per the OSE calculators depending on prop selection 40-51mm. Should put me right where I want to be versus the Supervee 27 and BJ29 on 4S.

okieman98
05-23-2015, 11:17 PM
well got tied up with life stuff , weather, my youngest graduating from high school, all the Assembly's and banquets we had to go to. been awhile since i have got to work on the sw 26s but with the recent flooding and being stuck inside i got the inside fiber glassed i will but up some shots soon as it set up, also been building a rescue boat. boy when everyone said to reinforce the sides and hull i be leave it now, after the first one of the 2 dried it rock solid now thanks everyone for the knowledge and input

okieman98
05-23-2015, 11:51 PM
ok here are the photo of the glass work, still learning but i used z poxy instead of the fiberglass resin it cost a little more but it seems to come out better looking when i am done being i use to patching big hulls not this kinda stuff.

hope Bruce (rc boaterguy) approves he has given me much needed knowledge on these abs hulls and changed my outlook on them. once i finish all that i have i have a new abs hull in mind