PDA

View Full Version : hull construction

ozboater
05-20-2007, 11:39 PM
hello folks.. new member here, enjoying the forum... great resource... i love my supervee, but the hull construction is a little weak in my honest opinion... the port side of my hull had a small hairline crack in it when new... since the local hobby shop is over an hour away in sacramento i couldn t face a drive back to exchange it... first run the other side cracked, again nothin major but a pain for sure... the boat had a couple of little spills, but no major impacts...

anyway, to the point... i m contemplating cutting the thing in half, along the seam where the two halves of the hull are joined... i have alot of experience with fiberglass from my surfing days and i m sure i can improve the hull without adding much weight at all - plus it ll give me the opportunity to give the thing a nice paint job... does anyone know what type of resin is used in the construction ?? i ll probabally call aquacraft to check but i d be interested if anyone knows... seems as though there is maybe 2 layers of cloth on the sides and 3 on the deck... i ll have to check the weight of the cloth they used as well... possible 8oz, but it s been a long while since i ve done any glass work... should be a good winter project, i ll be sure to post some before / after piccies...

havin problem with my new MRC superbrain 977 charger as well... seems that it cuts out before reaching full capacity... one channel cuts out real early... seems i need to take up the case with MRC... the thing is only a week old... hopefully they can take care of me, tower hobbies didn t seem to keen to help... i ll definately be back in touch with them if i can t get any help from MRC...

worst part is that i ll be off the water while i wait for my charger woes to get sorted...

anyway, happy boating

ozboater - stoked new RC boat fan...

NorthernBoater
05-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Aquacraft may not tell you what the construction is but no harm in trying . I contacted them about the specs on the motor and they claimed they did not have that data.
Here is a link to there tech support
http://www.hobbico.com/techsupport/index.html

Jeff
05-21-2007, 07:43 AM
The hull is kinda jigsawed together. Then glassed on thee inside over the seams. The crack is common. On mine I put some carbon fiber on thee inside sides just too try and stop the flexing on the sides.

On thee outside of the seams they use some kind of white filler, it is inbetween body filler and glazing compound. Once you have a crack you will need to scape the loose edges of this filler.

The boat is painted then a clear coat over it. Sands off (clearcoat) pretty easy.
I would not recomend cutting the boat open as there is nothing wrong structurally with it. Just reinforce it abit and repaint.

Also reinforce the edges of the hatch where you would tape it. This is also thin and prone to cracking if you tape.

Jeff

ozboater
05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
thanks for the info gents... does anyone have an idea what type of de-bonder i can use to remove the ply that is fixed to the bottom of the hull ??? i d like to remove the front stops that hold the batteries in place...

cheers

yz120
05-23-2007, 04:37 PM
I Used Pliers And Wiggled Till They Popped Out.

Jeff
05-23-2007, 05:29 PM
YUP, that's the best method and no residue to deal with.

Jeff;)

ozboater
05-23-2007, 06:17 PM
i could probabally get one of them off the bottom that way... i have removed both of the vertical stops snapping them off with my fingers... since it looks like my hull was a friday afternoon job, one of the battery mounts has about 4 times the glue of the other... i d like to remove the flat pieces that are fixed to the bottom of the hull... i d think there may be too much adhesive to remove one of the bastids with pliers...

Steven Vaccaro
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Lots of the "cracks" out there people are complaining about are actually only the paint cracking. I have it on both on my personal sv's on the transom. Not that there are no cracks that go all the way through. Take a close look on the inside. Does if translate all the was into the hull?

ozboater
05-24-2007, 01:41 PM
looks to me as if the hull is 2 moulded pieces joined along a seam... the seam on mine is at the height of the cooling outlet on the port side... although mine isn t cracked totally through every layer of glass, one layer does appear to be cracked... infact it looks like someone overtightened the water outlet when it was installed and there is a solid 1/4" crack that originates there... that was the first side to go... the port side was cracked at the water outlet and a hairline crack that could possbily been paint was there when i pulled it from the box... maybe rough handling during shipping ??? i dunno... either way the thing still runs sick and i couldn t face the traffic and time to take it back... in hindsight i should have looked at it more closely in the shop... i definately reckon mine is a friday arvo / monday mornin job... the transom isn t even in straight... it s an 1/8" out..

great site btw steve... thanks.. any word when you ll have the CF48 props in stock ??

cheers

ozboater

ozboater
05-24-2007, 10:52 PM
anyone have any suggestions on some kind of debonder to remove the battery stops... kinda at a loss here...

any help is appreciated

Mich. Maniac
05-24-2007, 10:57 PM
dont guaruntee it but xylene are laquer thinner might soften adhesive. careful with both though. could soften glass/ shouldnt but might. You go ahead and try and let us know.LOL

Steven Vaccaro
05-24-2007, 11:05 PM
anyone have any suggestions on some kind of debonder to remove the battery stops... kinda at a loss here...

any help is appreciated

Easiest way is to rip them out. They are barely held in!

ozboater
05-25-2007, 12:41 AM
thanks mich. maniac... i ll doust the thing in thinner and light a match :)

steve... i wish mine were barely in there... i ve tried attacking them with pliers... no dice... one of them has so much adhesive it isn t funny... i might have to hit it with the dremmel but i can see an unfortunate slip taking out the bottom....

Jeepers
05-25-2007, 01:28 AM
OZ, try wiggling a little more with the pliers it my seem tight, but its not that bad, when I converted my Aquacraft Miss Vegas to electric, I pulled all the wood blocks out the same way, no damage to the hull, mine looked like it was built on a sunday, epoxy every where! I was told these hulls were built using poleyster resin, so if you slip with the dremel its easy to repair, SJFE uses devcon epoxy to add strength to his hulls, he says it works great, so repairs are simple.:cool:

ozboater
05-25-2007, 12:42 PM
thanks jeepers... awesome

Darin Jordan
05-25-2007, 12:47 PM

any help is appreciated

I just grabbed mine with a pair of pliers and gently rocked then back and forth... they just popped out, almost in their entirety... The epoxy they use on these things doesn't stick all that well, so you shouldn't have any trouble...

SJFE
05-25-2007, 05:11 PM
I took an old dull pair of wire cutters and just chopped and hacked of the ends off them. I left the rest. Precision work @ it finest:D