PDA

View Full Version : What Lipos are you using?

HappyOne
09-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Brand?
Rating?
Results?

I have two 2S2P 10C 8000 mah True Rc packs on the way but I am curious to see what others are doing. I am running stock motor/esc but have upgraded to Fuller's hardware, with an x642.

Thanks.

azjc
09-09-2008, 09:55 PM
10c is a very low discharge rate but True RC underrrates thier packs, IMO Maxamps are the worst, I am partial to Flightpower but a good budget pack are the Zippy "R" packs it is speculation they use Enerland cells( they are made in Korea so it is possible)

You can't go wrong with any of the Enerland based packs

Flightpower/Trakpower
Thunderpower
Neu Energy
Polyquest

ax10ny
09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
im running max amps 4s 4000mah 20c in parrellel for 4s 8000 mah reserve. the only reason i went this route is so i didnt have to buy a bigger charger to charge 8k lipos my two chargers i have do a max of 4s 4000's so thats what i got. ive run them with the stock setup and a grim racer 36x55,and a 42x55 and saw mid to high 30's with 18 minutes of runtime. motor was 130 batts 96 and speed controller 120.

i now have it set up with a hydra 120, feagio 9xl with the same batts and a grim racer 42x66 lifter prop and see close to 47 but if i get on it too hard at 40 it will flip over backwards.
i now just got a 40x53 and its the perfect prop 42mph on average but its great out of the hole and is great on top. the batts have never hit 130 in anything including my brushless powered monster truck.

i always here max amps are the worst but i have 8 packs from them and all are great. not one problem with any. and i always get the 3yr 300 cycle warrenty just in case somthing does happen.

MaxxPain
09-09-2008, 10:07 PM
I run a bone stock BJ on Maxamps 8000 2S2P. They show 20C Constant(160 amps)
# 30C Sustained(240 amps)# 50C Burst(400 amps) for there rating.

azjc
09-09-2008, 10:28 PM
I run a bone stock BJ on Maxamps 8000 2S2P. They show 20C Constant(160 amps)
# 30C Sustained(240 amps)# 50C Burst(400 amps) for there rating.

Maxx Amps ratings need to be taking with a grain of salt....for what you are getting you could spend half the money and get a comparable product(True RC)..MaxAmps has done a great job promoting thier product a MaxAmps 3s 8000 was my first lipo pack and I had problems with the cells it would only take 2600 mah when being charged and Maxamps said there was nothing wrong with the pack so thier CS left a bad taste in my mouth...If you balance a MA pack while charging you will notice the balancer light up like a christmas tree

HappyOne
09-09-2008, 10:41 PM
10c is a very low discharge rate but True RC underrrates thier packs, IMO Maxamps are the worst, I am partial to Flightpower but a good budget pack are the Zippy "R" packs it is speculation they use Enerland cells( they are made in Korea so it is possible)

You can't go wrong with any of the Enerland based packs

Flightpower/Trakpower
Thunderpower
Neu Energy
Polyquest

I guess I don't understand the discharge rate part. The 10C packs I have coming can provide 80A continuous and 120A peak The esc in the boat is rated at 45A with 55A peak so I should have much more current available than the esc can use.

Maybe someone can straighten me out:help:

The higher S provides a higher voltage, right? That should provide more rpms to the motor. The Mah is how much electrical energy is stored in the battery, The C rating is how much current can be delivered from the battery and is directly related to the capacity (mah) of the battery....is that correct?

By using two identical batteries in the boat (the way it comes out of the box) is that about providing a higher voltage or more capacity/current?

azjc
09-09-2008, 11:52 PM
I guess I don't understand the discharge rate part. The 10C packs I have coming can provide 80A continuous and 120A peak The esc in the boat is rated at 45A with 55A peak so I should have much more current available than the esc can use.

Maybe someone can straighten me out:help:

The higher S provides a higher voltage, right? That should provide more rpms to the motor. The Mah is how much electrical energy is stored in the battery, The C rating is how much current can be delivered from the battery and is directly related to the capacity (mah) of the battery....is that correct?

By using two identical batteries in the boat (the way it comes out of the box) is that about providing a higher voltage or more capacity/current?

each "S" represents 3.7v and and you are correct as far as the voltage and amperage goes and if you have 2 batteries it depends on how you wire them...in series you increase the voltage and in parallel it increases the capacity

thrashmetal
09-10-2008, 12:00 AM
i prefer to spend the extra coin and buy good quality lipos that use enerland cells such as flightpower and trakpower. thunder power lipos are great as well and i even have a couple of apogee li-mn 3s packs that work great.

im not a big fan of maxx amps lipos either. i bought a couple before to run in my rc10 t4 and then i tried flightpowers after. no comparison. with the flightpower lipos i had way more punch on throttle and longer runtimes with the same capacity as the maxx amps.

Bill-SOCAL
09-10-2008, 12:08 AM
I use PolyRC 25C packs from RCLipos.com (http://www.RCLipos.com)

Fast service, free shipping, and great prices. Mention you are a boat guy before ordering. Pat likes us boaters!!

HappyOne
09-10-2008, 11:43 AM
each "S" represents 3.7v and and you are correct as far as the voltage and amperage goes and if you have 2 batteries it depends on how you wire them...in series you increase the voltage and in parallel it increases the capacity

Which is the stock configuration, series or parallel?

azjc
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
series...you have a 4s 8000 configuration

HappyOne
09-10-2008, 12:07 PM
OK. Thanks. So my lipo choices, running in series need to be 2 x 2s or maybe even 2 x 3S at the outside (since the stock esc is intended for 10v to 21v only)....

3S will give me more punch but I will also run the risk of heating the motor up too much and burning out the esc...right?

azjc
09-10-2008, 12:18 PM
if the ESC is only good to 21v, 6s would be too much ...6s is averages @ 22.2v...off the charger a lipo pack will have 4.2 vpc. and as it runs it will average 3.7 vpc..with the stock ESC I would stay with 4s