PDA

View Full Version : Moving "sold" items out of for sale thread

jj2003
12-21-2014, 10:58 AM
I don't know if it's feasible or if it makes sense, but is it possible to move items that have been " sold " out of the " Items for sale " thread to maybe a " Sold items " thread to clear up the thread? I find many times especially if trying to sell something, I find my post from a day or two ago 3 pages later due to someone either posting banter or something unrelated to a sale/sold item, which knocks down a " current "for sale thread a number of notches, in which most people won't go beyond page 2 or 3 to see items still for sale. Also, there are times when an item has been sold and then there are questions posted like " Is this still available " a year later, which again moves an old thread up the board, and then someone else thinks its still for sale and again asks the same question. I know not everyone will let the mods know it's sold, so maybe an ability to close a thread from the "Op " like on RCGroups? I realize that we are able to "bump" the item every 7 days, but if there were items already sold moved to another thread, we wouldn't have to bump as much and they could still be viewed in the sold section if someone were looking for something similar or for reference. As an example, I was looking for copper plates for Lehner motors to change from " Wye " to " Delta " and had to search the thread for a few days to find it. A fellow member had made them but had sold the motors with the plates. Eventually I did find it but it took some time. Does this make sense to anyone besides me and could it be done?

Diegoboy
12-21-2014, 12:59 PM
I would love to have this happen, but we've talked about having the thread marked as SOLD by the OP, but you know there's lazy people that just won't do it when sold, or just simply don't care. On the other hand, to have MOD's police this it requires a dedicated MOD or two to keep up and verify what's sold and what hasn't.

We're doing it right now in the Christmas thread, but the size of that one and the limited contributions to that make it much more manageable. I will continue tpo work on finding a solution to clean up the swap shop.

Thanks!!

Luck as a Constant
12-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Well, it goes back to funding, and getting people to sign up for memberships. Imagine 20 people sign up. That's $500. I know it's not much, but it's 500 more than the forum generates now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luck as a Constant
12-21-2014, 01:04 PM
A good way to get people signing up is to allow advertising. That generates revenue rite there. Then, members who donate, don't get the advertisements

Diegoboy
12-21-2014, 01:13 PM
I don't think Steven is going to spam his own site with ad banners, only to charge members to have an ad free forum when they've been getting exactly that from day one.

Luck as a Constant
12-21-2014, 01:29 PM
yeah i can understand that. Regardless, i would donate to get some extra features not offered to reg members.

Diegoboy
12-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Oh, okay! My paypal is...

Just kidding. Hahaha

What exactly would you like to have? I will see what I can do to get it for everyone.

Luck as a Constant
12-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Well, perhaps larger avatar pics, more storage for messages, access to special OSE giveaways... Just some ideas.

JimClark
12-21-2014, 02:56 PM
One of the photography forums I go to has a 25..00 per year fee to use the for sale forum

Doug Smock
12-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Guys,
The for sale forum requires more of our time than all of the other areas of the forum combined. It is the forums largest source of headaches and hurt feelings.
It is what it is because the users make it that way. 9 times out of 10 because the rules aren't followed.

We try real hard to keep the "banter" in check (deleted). We get beat up on it from time to time but history dictates it's a necessary evil.

I have closed many threads that have had traffic after the deal is done.
Danny perhaps we should mark sold & close all of the threads as soon as we see "items received". Even then, as hard as we try we are going to miss some.

As stated getting the seller to mark the first post "sold" himself would help a lot.

A little effort on the memberships part to not post "wish I", "if I", "nice whatever", "man I was too late", "nice snag'', "great deal", " I had one of those" :blah: with no intentions to purchase would sure free up time for other things. Like marking threads sold and closing them.:wink:

I said all of that to say this.
I'm committed to do whatever I can to help Danny so that we can all continue to enjoy the OSE forum experience.:thumbup1:

D.

tlandauer
12-21-2014, 03:45 PM
One of the photography forums I go to has a 25..00 per year fee to use the for sale forum
I think it's a good idea. If you plan on selling something, you pay a fee. That way sellers would observe the rules better and the funds generated can benefit the Forum which benefits every one. A win-win situation.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Spartanator
02-26-2015, 10:08 PM
From now on anything I sell I will ask the buyer to post when they receive it. From then I would either PM a mod to request a closed thread or re-locate it. The OSE Swap Shop Fee is not a bad idea at all... It could go to a special Paypal where the mods can get some extra money out of it to use for themselves or upgrade forum features. I would gladly pay it!

Afterthought: Some would go behind doors so not sure how effective it would be... Maybe Lock the whole Swap Shop down for a week to see how much everyone misses it.... lol