PDA

View Full Version : Swordfish timing troubles

kfxguy
12-13-2014, 09:43 AM
So I searched and searched...I found lots of swordfish issues but none exactly like mine. Here's the details

Esc: swordfish 240 pro plus2
Motor: neu 1521 1860kv D wind
6s cells
transmitter: spektrum dx4s mr3000 marine recriver
Esc is brand new only about 3 months old, never run yet. Motor is installed in boat, no flex hooked up. I've been using the program box to change settings. I have been changing settings through the receiver plug, not the short extra plug (unsure of its purpose).

Problem:
1) esc does not respond quickly, motor continues to run for a second when throttle is chopped. It reaches top rpm slowly. (I don't hold it, but just long enough to hear rpm's come up)
2) timing set to low. Pwm set to 8k, 12k, 16 no difference. Change Timing to 0, 2 or 4 and it is still sluggish and makes a screeching sound at top rpm. Very scary sounding.
3) the initial startup of the motor is abrupt. There is no smoothness to it at all until it's already turning, then I can pull the trigger in and out and the transitions are smooth but delayed.
4) timing set to auto: if I set it to auto it's much more responsive, not sluggish and pretty close to normal.
5) I've tried soft, normal and hard start. Same thing.

I have done no updates. This is the latest version of this model. Any ideas?

flraptor07
12-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Wow Travis That sounds strange are you using the same cell count for programing that you're going to run with? sometimes I'll power up with a 2s just to program is the reason I'm asking.

kfxguy
12-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Wow Travis That sounds strange are you using the same cell count for programing that you're going to run with? sometimes I'll power up with a 2s just to program is the reason I'm asking.

I put it on auto. Using 6s to program, using bec to power the program card.

785boats
12-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Travis.
If you are using the programming box then the short lead on the ESC is the one you should be plugging into it. And also a receiver pack into the other port in the box.
The main batteries also need to be connected to the ESC when programming it too.
What setting do you have the 'Startup' set to? I leave mine on Standard. Setting it to soft can sometimes cause the delay that you describe. At least it did on one that I had.
Also after all the programming is done & the programming box is disconnected, it is essential that you calibrate the throttle range with the transmitter as per the instructions for the ESC. Has that been done?
Cheers.
Paul.

kfxguy
12-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Travis.
If you are using the programming box then the short lead on the ESC is the one you should be plugging into it. And also a receiver pack into the other port in the box.
The main batteries also need to be connected to the ESC when programming it too.
What setting do you have the 'Startup' set to? I leave mine on Standard. Setting it to soft can sometimes cause the delay that you describe. At least it did on one that I had.
Also after all the programming is done & the programming box is disconnected, it is essential that you calibrate the throttle range with the transmitter as per the instructions for the ESC. Has that been done?
Cheers.
Paul.

Now that you say that...I could not get the throttle range calibrated. The motor would just run about half throttle at first. I Kept trying to do it but it was like it was in transmitter programming mode and I could not get it out. Then it just started working. Maybe this is the root of my problem...I had forgot about that. I guess I'll try it again but the instructions I have are not great (thats putting it lightly lol).

flraptor07
12-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Travis.
Cheers.
Paul.

Bingo! Paul's exactly right!

flraptor07
12-13-2014, 03:54 PM
This manual has all the info. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/downloads/hifei/Hifei-soft-V4.02/Swordfish%20ESC%20manuals.pdf

flraptor07
12-13-2014, 03:58 PM
And here's the program box destructions! https://astecmodels.co.uk/pdfs/hifei/Program%20Box%20manuals.pdf

kfxguy
12-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks fellas! I still cannot get it to program the throttle. It appears part of my problem is the motor. The 1524 rotor was rubbing and the balance epoxy flung out. Put the spare rotor I had in and it seems much better. Gotta get the throttle set tho

kfxguy
12-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Finally got the throttle. Whew. I guess I wasn't counting the weird beeps at first. I'll see if I can run it tomorrow. Thx!

flraptor07
12-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Finally got the throttle. Whew. I guess I wasn't counting the weird beeps at first. I'll see if I can run it tomorrow. Thx!

Yeah when you start you hold it WFO flip the switch on then when it starts the count beeps let it go to neutral and if you have a futaba radio you have to reverse the throttle. Cool glad you got it! I finally get to run my new GP400 hydro tomorrow!!:banana:

keithbradley
12-13-2014, 07:36 PM
You butthead. I can't believe that you didn't calibrate the throttle, but make no mention of that...I think most of us just assumed that you had. :Shame_on_You: :lol:
A lot of people get confused with the throttle calibration on the SF ESCs. With other ESCs like MGM, you hold full throttle position until the three beeps are completely finished. With Swordfish you release the throttle BEFORE they are finished. You're not the first to do this; plenty of people have had the same issues.

There are a couple updates on KBB you should use. I'm not going to link the forum but they're easy enough to find.

Also, run a test on 2s. spin the motor up to full throttle (I say use 2s to keep RPMs lower). Then, upload the data log to check if you're getting full throttle. Doing this might same you an afternoon of scratching your head.

kfxguy
12-13-2014, 07:45 PM
You butthead. I can't believe that you didn't calibrate the throttle, but make no mention of that...I think most of us just assumed that you had. :Shame_on_You: :lol:
A lot of people get confused with the throttle calibration on the SF ESCs. With other ESCs like MGM, you hold full throttle position until the three beeps are completely finished. With Swordfish you release the throttle BEFORE they are finished. You're not the first to do this; plenty of people have had the same issues.

There are a couple updates on KBB you should use. I'm not going to link the forum but they're easy enough to find.

Also, run a test on 2s. spin the motor up to full throttle (I say use 2s to keep RPMs lower). Then, upload the data log to check if you're getting full throttle. Doing this might same you an afternoon of scratching your head.
Yep, I feel like a butthead! Lol. I'll readily admit I don't know everything! I thought the throttle was calibrated because it didn't Rev up like it was at first. I don't think that was my whole problem tho. The 1524 rotor was rubbing the stator....even had metal in it. It sounded like something was rubbing. I think the shaft may be bent. It's done this since I had it made. I may send it back and see if they will check it and make me another. I'm tired of jacking with this motor so I threw a new rotor in it I had. It still does the abrupt start thing but I'll see how it does in the water. I may attempt to check the firmware and update it even tho I read the latest one had the timing where you can adjust it in 2 degree increments. I also smoked my mamba monster test esc when I was trying to test this motor. ...had it at wot for a sec and one of the wires disconnected. ...yep, let the smoke out. O well. Lol