PDA

View Full Version : Spektrum DX3R

Raydee
09-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Just curious if anyone has tried one in a boat yet? I have been using my Futaba 3PK with Spektrum module and the older SR3000 receivers in all my boats and cars for a long time and never once had a problem or so much as a glitch. I wanted to try some of Spektum's newer smaller receivers but with the module in my 3PK I can only use the SR3000 receiver so I decided to give the DX3R a try. The radio has the capability to use any of the Spektrum receivers so I went for it. I am just curious if anyone here has tried one so far and what they thought about the radio....and even more important if they noticed any problems.

Mich. Maniac
09-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Etown on here uses one in his boats and he has had great results. I wish I had the cash. Rx units are much more expensive than I realized and as long as you keep them dry they work flawlessly as far as I can tell. As far as I know he has had no problems with it and has actually let some of us use it in our boats when our Futaba FM systems are acting up.

icelert
09-08-2008, 03:08 AM
One of the big plusses the DX3R has is the steering knob can be switched over to either side of the pistol grip. Our club's left-handed drivers have found this a godsend. I have heard that the programming features are also more straightforward and easier than previous Spektrums.

Steven Vaccaro
09-08-2008, 11:52 AM
I have and love it. It also works with the older rx's. The main diff I see is water proofing. The new rx has no button to bind it. So its easier to coat with the dp270.

Flying Scotsman
09-08-2008, 12:30 PM
I have and love it. It also works with the older rx's. The main diff I see is water proofing. The new rx has no button to bind it. So its easier to coat with the dp270.

Steven, there have been discussions on the pro's and con's of 2.4ghz and competitor claims. You and many other people I trust are using this technology. I still love my Hitec CRX but after viewing the disaster that struck C SMOCK. I am wondering, I use a receiver to see if anyone is transmiiting on any of my frequencies, but what happened to Casey , frightens the hell out of me, as I do not wish to see a boat I spent a lot of time in building beinig destroyed by a twit

Douggie

Raydee
09-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Steven I am glad to hear you guys are having good luck with the Radio. I am kinda a if it isn't broke don't fix it guy. My 3PK and Spektrum module have worked perfectly over the last few years but I wanted to try a new radio and if this works like it should I will be happy.

Doby
09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Steven, there have been discussions on the pro's and con's of 2.4ghz and competitor claims. You and many other people I trust are using this technology. I still love my Hitec CRX but after viewing the disaster that struck C SMOCK. I am wondering, I use a receiver to see if anyone is transmiiting on any of my frequencies, but what happened to Casey , frightens the hell out of me, as I do not wish to see a boat I spent a lot of time in building beinig destroyed by a twit

Douggie

:iagree:

Thats why I love my Spektrum, 2 years on all sorts of setups and no glitches and no worries about "twits":cursing:

phase
09-08-2008, 09:43 PM
i got one.. i dont run it in my boat yet but i have been running it in my rc offroad trucks and it is by far the best radio i have ever had.. it is also super light(doesnt weigh anything).. its a great radio..

Eyekandyboats
09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
i will give you some feed back shortly on it Ray.

Mich. Maniac
09-08-2008, 10:07 PM
As Taylor stated once before and I see it now... plan on an easy switch-boat transition or plan an extra hudred bucks to each build. I personally dont like switching once I have stuff nailed down.

Heath M
09-10-2008, 04:57 AM
I have the 3xr and love it. BUT i did have all sorts of trouble using the sr3000 receivers with it. I have since switched to the newer sr3100 receivers and not had a single problem with it..

Heath

Raydee
09-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Heath, is it going into failsafe with the SR3000 receiver's? The SR3000 receivers are all I use with my 3PK.

kookie_guy
09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm running a DX3.0 with the SR3000 receiver and 0 issues. Had it out about a dozen times now and all is working perfect. Never an issue, super responsive. No problems with rolling boat and getting some water on the receiver either (not waterproofed at all). I'm VERY happy with the system.

Raydee
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
The 3.0 and the DX3r are two different radio's.

kookie_guy
09-10-2008, 12:42 PM
The 3.0 and the DX3r are two different radio's.

yes I know. I was just commenting that the dx3.0 is flawless as well, and considering it comes with 2 receivers, it's an easy choice.

Heath M
09-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Ray it was getting about 50ft away on the water then shutting down But when i did a land check i could get 3 times that away from it and it worked fine.. Spektrums answer was not to use it on water as the glare can interfere with the reception. Once i swapped out to the newer receivers i had no issues..

Heath

Flying Scotsman
09-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I just posted an invitation on RRR to users of the different technologies to advise of their findings. I have never seen in any marketing blurb any advantage that 2.4ghz has over FM, appart from no frequency clash issues, which is their claim to fame, but what about other issues, which have been docummented. Hitec, still does not offer this technology?
PS any flyboys out there to offer an oppinion, as they are the technology leaders.

Douggie

Raydee
09-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I have been using the Spektrum DX7 in my $2500 heli for a couple seasons now and have had no problems at all.

Flying Scotsman
09-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Ray, it is the water reflection issue that interests me and great to know of no issues with aircraft.

Douggie

Raydee
09-10-2008, 07:56 PM
I ran 4 packs with my DX3R today in my Whiplash and my older SR3000 receiver with the antenna INSIDE the hull and not a glitch. I ran the boat way to the far side of the pond and all the way across the pond and so far so good. I also tried it right at the waters edge and up on shore some with no difference.I never thought I would say it but the radio is so light I really noticed the difference. I still hate the timer but I will get over it.

Kfoss1
09-10-2008, 09:16 PM
How much antenna needs to be up in the tube? I have the Futaba 3PM-2.4G and the antennas are very short with this new stuff. If I put the receiver in the waterproof box of my SV, only 2" shows in the tube. Do I need to move the receiver to raise more antenna or will I be ok as is. Need advice before trying it.

AndyKunz
09-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I have been using the Spektrum DX7 in my $2500 heli for a couple seasons now and have had no problems at all.

One of the guys I flew with this weekend had his $20K jet (an Ultra Bandit) flying on Spektrum. The frequency board had ONE guy with a 72MHz radio. And there were probably 50 pilots there, well over 75% flew Spektrum. I sold one of my 72MHz modules (Hitec Spectra) last week and have the other for sale (with rx's), as well as several 3PDFs for surface stuff.

I ain't looking back!

Andy

Raydee
09-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Andy I was so scared that your post was going to be bad I was almost afraid to read it ;)

I remember back about 7 years ago when a company called Model Avionics was going to release the first ever 2.4ghz radio for air use. We waited and waited but it never happened. I remember thinking that it would be the single best thing to happen for RC flight in a lot of years. I am glad I switched also and until there is something that is way better on the market I am sold!

AndyKunz
09-10-2008, 10:17 PM
only 2" shows in the tube. Do I need to move the receiver to raise more antenna or will I be ok as is. Need advice before trying it.

Only the last 1.5" needs to be visible. That's all that's really "antenna" - the rest of shielded.

It always helps to have it as high as possible.

Andy

JimClark
09-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Is it true for the last 1.5in on the older spektrum recievers also?

Only the last 1.5" needs to be visible. That's all that's really "antenna" - the rest of shielded.

It always helps to have it as high as possible.

Andy

AndyKunz
09-10-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it is. The extra length is there to get the antenna up high.

Andy

Kfoss1
09-11-2008, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the replys guys, I`ll give it a try. To have any more than 2" up the tube, I would have to relocate the receiver out side the water box making it vunerable incase the hull takes on any water.

kookie_guy
09-11-2008, 08:09 AM
I keep the antenna in the hull. Boat is completely sealed. Checked with antenna sticking out and in the hull, and didn't really notice any chance in range. Zero glitching with both trials, on the SR3000 receiver.

Flying Scotsman
09-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Andy, flying is not what worries me, it is boat useage, water reflection and antenna problems. I love the thought of no frequency clashes, but there has been much debate on range issues, loss of power at the receiver and so on. The Futaba FAAST system seems to have most of these issues resolved, but, I am still leery of changing out my Hitec CRX Spectra, as it works. I have viewed the XPS site and they seem to have interesting 2.4ghz products http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/index.php

Douggie

AndyKunz
09-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Before you spend a penny on XPS, check out his reputation on RCGroups. Caveat emptor. We have a guy at the field in PA who can't give away his XPS system (he upgraded to Spektrum, too). I was looking at his stuff very carefully before I settled on Spektrum.

Andy

Flying Scotsman
09-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Before you spend a penny on XPS, check out his reputation on RCGroups. Caveat emptor. We have a guy at the field in PA who can't give away his XPS system (he upgraded to Spektrum, too). I was looking at his stuff very carefully before I settled on Spektrum.

Andy

Andy, thanks for the heads up. What were the problems?

Douggie

AndyKunz
09-11-2008, 04:04 PM
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868199

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801036 - uses trainer port, not a module (ie, external JUNK to carry when you operate it).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8754803 (this shows what kind of guy he is)

As for problems at the field, he experienced some of the same reliability issues as other guys. Plus the perpetual "on backorder" problem, unkept promise dates, etc. just don't make for a good reputation. (I'm not perfect either).

Andy

Raydee
09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Douggie, I have seen a problem with the Spektrum going into failsafe in a boat before. When the call was made to Spektrum they said that it is possible that the problem was from water reflection. He asks us to move higher up from the waters surface and that didn't help either. What it ended up being was the receiver voltage being too low. We ended up putting a new reciver pack in and the problem was gone forever. I have seen posts where Spektrum caused runaway boats and some that just didn't work at all. My guess is they either had a bad receiver/transmitter or did something way off base to cause the problem. I have run the Spektrum in Gas boats, electric boats, electric cars , nitro cars and Gas cars and have never had a bad experience to date. I hate to even write that for fear that I will speak to soon but I have nothing but confidence in Spektrum despite what others say. I am in no way saying that people have never had problems but I honestly wonder how many of them were user error??

Flying Scotsman
09-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Andy, thanks for the info. I guess another vendor is crossed off the list. I am a tech geek and the XPS claims interested me, but as you state buyer be aware.

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
09-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks Ray, As I trust your opinnion. Yes I am aware of the voltage RX problem and that is also true for FM systems

Thanks,

Douggie