PDA

View Full Version : Scale graphics

T.S.Davis
12-06-2014, 09:33 AM
So who is doing graphics for scales these days?

Going to need Oberto graphics for an 8255.

photohoward1
12-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Terry. An 1/8th scale? I have had one in my basement for years. Where you going to rave it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T.S.Davis
12-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Sorry. No Howard. 10th scale. It's for Ty. Christmas present.

He's been bugging me to build one for nearly a year now. Ordered a frame kit from ML. Trying to get a canopy from a very skilled racer from the left coast. I'll need graphics eventually.

Plan is to teach Tyler how to actually build a boat. Maybe he'll be a little kinder to it while racing.

ezhitz
12-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Terry you can try this link I don't know if he still doing any. http://www.thunderboatgraphics.com/

photohoward1
12-06-2014, 12:24 PM
You can check in with monojeff too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimClark
12-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Jeff should be able to help. Are you doing the 82 or 84? Same hull a little different paint and the 84 has a wing

T.S.Davis
12-06-2014, 01:11 PM
No wing. PIA to get it just right. Still haven't heard back from my canopy source. Might have to make one. At least it's an easy one.

T.S.Davis
12-06-2014, 01:12 PM
I sent an email to Mike because I know he already has the files. Not sure if he's still doing boat graphics.

JimClark
12-06-2014, 01:16 PM
I think he is still doing Graphics just kind of hard to get a hold of. Mitch Dillard in Classic Thunder should be able to provide a cowl.
http://www.hydroscalecreations.com/Canopies/Canopies.htm

ezhitz
12-06-2014, 02:46 PM
There is a thread on IW about mikes graphics so I think he is still doing some I don't know if maybe only 1/8. I did try back in the summer to get some 1/10 Hallmark Homes but had no luck could
of been to much hassle sending them to Canada I understand that.

RayR
12-06-2014, 03:50 PM
Terry,

contact Wes at westleyscustom.com, he has what you need.

all the best,

ray

T.S.Davis
12-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Found Wes. Apparently I have to call there.

http://www.wesleyscustom.com/

rayzerdesigns
12-07-2014, 12:19 AM
mike McKnight in cali has done numerous boats..he did my bud and peters and may..as well as chucks oberto

Ken_NJ
12-07-2014, 12:28 AM
I'm using Callie Graphics for my deepvee. She is making decals and vinyl masks for me and we have been going back and forth in email getting the artwork just right to my liking. She is very accommodating. Everything she is doing is custom work which I should be getting next week. When she gave me the price for what I'm getting, couldn't believe it. Going to probably send her extra for what I put her through. Check out her Photos page.

http://www.callie-graphics.com/

olwarbirds
12-07-2014, 12:43 AM
I've been using Callie graphics for scale and custom planes for around 6-7yrs. She is great to deal with and will work with you till its perfect....

monojeff
12-07-2014, 06:47 AM
I have all the graphics for this boat.
This is local 1/10 scale 8255 Brian buass hull and cowl.
Shoot me a PM if you want to talk more details

cybercrxt
12-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Jeff that looks nice. Terry maybe Jeff can get you a cowl from Brian since you are having trouble getting ahold of him. Mitch Dillard does indeed make a lot of 1/10th scale cowls too!

RayR
12-07-2014, 08:30 AM
When I checked about 6 months ago, Mitch did not have an 8255 cowl.

don ferrette
12-07-2014, 09:36 AM
When I checked about 6 months ago, Mitch did not have an 8255 cowl.
Ray like that Winston Select in your avatar. I've always liked that version and came close to building one a couple times. :smile:

don ferrette
12-07-2014, 09:40 AM
No wing. PIA to get it just right. Still haven't heard back from my canopy source. Might have to make one. At least it's an easy one.Hey T, wings aren't that bad the key is to set the rear horizontal to zero. Once you've set the hull up on the set up board use an airplane wing incidence meter to set zero angle of attack. If your not familiar with what that is I'll send or post a pic. I've built many winged scales and set right they work great. :cool:

olwarbirds
12-07-2014, 10:08 AM
That looks good Jeff...

monojeff
12-07-2014, 03:41 PM
When I talked to Mitch I thought he did have a plug for the 8255 cowling his are vaccum formed.
Brian's are epoxy fiberglass cowls. I have one on my dominos also.

I'll see if I can contact Brian for you.

JimClark
12-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Fortunately that one would be probably the easiest one to have to make

T.S.Davis
12-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Ice done 4 boats with wings. Just another "thing" to make.

I made a Notre dame from scratch. This wouldn't be super hard to make if I had to. Glass over foam.

Coug90
12-09-2014, 03:42 AM
If you're still looking for a cowling for the 8255 hull in 1:10 scale, I have them. If you or anyone else is looking for 1:10 scale parts, visit my site at hydroscalecreations.com (www.hydroscalecreations.com) The selection is growing all the time. Just shoot me an email with what you're looking for. It sometimes helps to send a photo of the real boat just to be certain you are looking for the right parts but have the year wrong. Boats changed so much from year to year and some even within the same year. I want to make sure you get what you really want and love to see photos of the finished projects. Let me know if I can help.

T.S.Davis
12-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Mitch, I'll shoot you an email in a bit. I didn't see the 138 on your list.

T.S.Davis
12-09-2014, 08:50 AM
As long as I'm all scaly here......what about exhaust, drivers, maybe a steering wheel? Are those things that most fabricate themselves? I have skills but if someone has done the work already........

ezhitz
12-09-2014, 05:18 PM
I found Mitch was great to deal with when I needed my cowl he even made a cowl for my son for his Miss Supertest that he didn't have and made it up for him. Terry try classic hydro for the motor
http://www.classichydros.com/ as for driver look for 1/10 action figure you just cut their legs off. I think one of the best sites for 1/10 is http://www.classicthunder.us/

Coug90
12-10-2014, 01:50 AM
Hey, how did that Supertest III project turn out anyway? I never got any photos. Hope it went well. Supertest is one of my favorites. We have a guy in our club who has a really nice model of the Supertest III. His wife is from Canada and she is very partial to it. He says she doesn't want him to race it because she's afraid he'll wreck it. I have been using one of those vintage Evel Knievel stunt cycle figures for my open cockpit driver. You can find them often for sale on eBay sometimes with their original driving suits and helmets. I replace the helmets with my own, but they have a good look and adjustable arms and hands that can actually grip the steering wheel. I just cut them off at the hip. It's easy enough to fashion a life jacket out of some felt or they used to have these novelty golf balls that came with orange life jackets that fit just perfectly. Haven't seen those around for a while though.

T.S.Davis
12-10-2014, 08:31 AM
No offense to all you scale heads but.............scale is expensive. Holy crap. Adds up fast.

Coug90
12-11-2014, 01:49 AM
No offense to all you scale heads but.............scale is expensive. Holy crap. Adds up fast.

I've never run any other type of boats. Are the other classes so different in cost? The other boats I've seen just don't appeal to me like the scale ones do. To me it's not all about speed. They just look soooooo cooool!! I'm hooked. I saw a little 2s rigger that had to be going 60 mph and I could only see the roostertail. It does absolutely nothing for me. The real boats have been a part of my life since I was a kid. Part of it's the history and I love it.

T.S.Davis
12-11-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm in for $250+ already so far and I still have to buy skin, build it, and put real honest to goodness paint on it.

I can buy a Whip20 for $150 with a glass cowl. I can paint the cowl with a rattle can and leave the rest epoxy coated wood. No scale driver. No twice pipes. Hardware is about the same. Same power........sorta. Prop will require some imagination I think.

You just can't do justice to a scale (I think) and dabble. Your either going to do it right or don't do it.

Sounding kinda whiny here. Don't mean too. I've blown a lot more time and dough on toys that get a lot less run time.

I am looking forward to trying to find the speed in this. With a Whip or a PT I have a pretty good idea how to get there. This will be an adventure. I do have some ideas on that but little experience. Especially with them not turning right. ......................some you will see the homonym immediately. haha Sorry, couldn't resist.

T.S.Davis
12-11-2014, 09:32 AM
I saw a little 2s rigger that had to be going 60 mph and I could only see the roostertail.

Well that I get. Snore. I know it's fast and all but it just......doesn't.............inspire. Maybe that's the wrong word.

I still like the offshore classes. So much driving going on. It's really fun when you get familiar enough with the guys you race with that you trust them to respect the lane and absolutely thieve it from you when you leave the gate open a hair.

rdcracer
01-02-2015, 03:06 PM
I've never run any other type of boats. Are the other classes so different in cost? The other boats I've seen just don't appeal to me like the scale ones do. To me it's not all about speed. They just look soooooo cooool!! I'm hooked. I saw a little 2s rigger that had to be going 60 mph and I could only see the roostertail. It does absolutely nothing for me. The real boats have been a part of my life since I was a kid. Part of it's the history and I love it.

I gotta say I just ordered my first. I have several other types and 2 guys showed up at our club with a couple of shovel noses and I had to have one. I have been building scale planes for a long time and love the whole scale thing. It is a real challenge to get it looking just right. The big difference is a 9 month build turning into a pile of sticks with one mistake. I think I like boats:rockon2:

Coug90
01-02-2015, 03:58 PM
I gotta say I just ordered my first. I have several other types and 2 guys showed up at our club with a couple of shovel noses and I had to have one. I have been building scale planes for a long time and love the whole scale thing. It is a real challenge to get it looking just right. The big difference is a 9 month build turning into a pile of sticks with one mistake. I think I like boats:rockon2:

Once I saw the scale boats pull up on plane by themselves, I was hooked on the electrics. I was already hooked on the hydros. No toss starting or turning to the right for me man! Go fast, turn left!

T.S.Davis
01-02-2015, 04:09 PM
That toss thing only happens in nitro around here.