PDA

View Full Version : ebay boat?

kwiktsi
09-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, I was told to check here about this since I was told it's the same boat tested by Steven (though this one is a 32"?) . I am looking at this boat- http://cgi.ebay.com/32-deep-vee-ARTR-with-motor-and-ESC-racing-spec_W0QQitemZ300247740654QQihZ020QQcategoryZ19167 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 . The seller claims it is 6S capable, but that sounds high with a 2700kv motor. Is this the boat you guys are talking about? If so, will that motor really survive on 6s? If not, I can get the boat from him without motor for about $40 less (basically $299 with free shipping) and just toss a 11-12xl in it or something. If the motor in it is decent and will work with 6s, I'll just get it with it. Any opinions? The boat seems like an awesome deal for the price though. Thanks.
Joe

dostacos
09-04-2008, 10:07 PM
I am not the guy to ask, BUT I can talk about the vendor, I have ordered from him and I just received a 26" hull 2 colors $60 shipped and it arrived VERY fast. It is a light lamination and it looks to have a nice even thickness.

I have also bought some of his hardware it is also nice quality

Dan

kwiktsi
09-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the info. The boat and hardware do seem to be very nice quality for the price. Just a bit leery of the motor. For $40, if it works I'll take it, but that $40 is more than halfway to a Feigao XL if it doesn't work...

Rex R
09-05-2008, 02:33 AM
that kv sounds kinda high for 4s...don't think I would want to be near by if someone tried it on 6s(we wont even mention how will that plastic prop would hold up to 40k + rpm)

ED66677
09-05-2008, 05:05 AM
all these RTR boats are quite good, the hull handles very well, hardware is correct, but the motor is just not good at all, I have an example in mind where the motor/ESC just fried at the begining of maiden run! not even a 32" but a 26" one! Forget 6S if not running a cheap but good Feigao 12XL or a NEU!

kwiktsi
09-05-2008, 07:55 AM
all these RTR boats are quite good, the hull handles very well, hardware is correct, but the motor is just not good at all, I have an example in mind where the motor/ESC just fried at the begining of maiden run! not even a 32" but a 26" one! Forget 6S if not running a cheap but good Feigao 12XL or a NEU!

I'm thinking that it may be a nice boat to run as 3s2p instead of 6s. Should be a decent running hull and give good run time with 2p 5400's. Not going to be as fast as my other electrics, but should run for a long time and be a fun boat for the lake when we are out on our boat, which is all I want it for. It gets too rough there for my smaller, faster FE boats and the blackjack 55 is too big to bring every time.

If the motor nukes, I'll go with like a 7xl-8xl on 3s2p for some fun running.

ED66677
09-05-2008, 08:49 AM
nope!
I have a 8XL on the 29" version under 3S and that's not enough bro, I already upgraded to 4S and not tested yet but hopefully tomorrow if the weather permits!

I refer to this thread : (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=4159)
26”-32" / 6 cell LiPo or 18 cell NiMh /1800-1100Kv /40mm - 52mm Diam. / Low or High / Disc. / 120-180-240 amp
30"- 36" / 8 cell LiPo or 24 cell NiMh / 1350-800Kv /45mm – 55mm Diam. / High Voltage / N/A / 180-240 amp

So the 32" will require a much lower KV motor than you think and more volts, if you choose to go for 3S instead of 6S you will more or less need to pull twice as much amp in order to have the same power, you will then have to have BIG Lipo's allowing very high amp draw (lot more than standard 20 or 25C or have two set in parallel) and an ESC that can do it...$$$

kwiktsi
09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
nope!
I have a 8XL on the 29" version under 3S and that's not enough bro, I already upgraded to 4S and not tested yet but hopefully tomorrow if the weather permits!

I refer to this thread : (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=4159)

So the 32" will require a much lower KV motor than you think and more volts, if you choose to go for 3S instead of 6S you will more or less need to pull twice as much amp in order to have the same power, you will then have to have BIG Lipo's allowing very high amp draw (lot more than standard 20 or 25C or have two set in parallel) and an ESC that can do it...$$$

Hmm, I was thinking a 7-8xl would power it to upper 20's, low 30's maybe on 3S but give good run time. If not, no biggie. I can run them 6s with a 11-12xl, I just thought the runtime and slower speed would be a nice trade off for play running in the rough water. I'll have to experiment with it a bit. Thanks!
Joe

ED66677
09-05-2008, 10:01 AM
again I refer to some more expert than I am regarding the choice, follow this and I'm sure you'll be more than happy, get 2 pair of 3S instead of 1!

kwiktsi
09-08-2008, 06:17 PM
again I refer to some more expert than I am regarding the choice, follow this and I'm sure you'll be more than happy, get 2 pair of 3S instead of 1!

Thanks for the reply. I am on a budget and cannot get another set of packs right now. What it is if I have 2 3S 5400 20c packs and I am trying to make it work with what I have. I'll see, we just had our baby Friday, so this may all get put on the back burner for now.
Joe

edit- does anyone know the amp draw of an 11 or 12xl on 6S with "average" prop? If it is over 108, these packs will do no good anyway :).

ED66677
09-09-2008, 01:29 AM
go for 3S then! that's what I was running before I jumped to 4S, I had 2x3S 2600mAh in parallel and that was already fun!

kwiktsi
09-09-2008, 04:49 PM
go for 3S then! that's what I was running before I jumped to 4S, I had 2x3S 2600mAh in parallel and that was already fun!

That's what I was thinking, 3S2P on the dinky motor that comes with it should give *ok* speed and very good run time for bashing at the lake. I should add, I do have other FE boats that are much faster- my BK cat runs right at 50mph on 4S, my H&M Streamer runs ~43mph on 4S, MHZ Micro Iceberg is too fast for it's own good on 6cell nimh and my H&M Hydro is around 57 or so on 4S (never GPSed it).

They are just too fast, light and small for the rough water at the big lake we take our boat to, so I wanted something a bit bigger and heavier to play in the rough stuff with without putting a ton of money into it. Speed isn't a huge concern since I can't even get my streamer past 1/4-1/3 throttle at that lake without flipping it. The boat doesn't have to be faster than ~25-30 for it to be fun there. If this boat does not perform well enough on 3S, with this motor, than I can worry about changing things later- maybe something like 8XL with a trans and 5S or so then

I also have my Blackjack 55 that I bought to run up there, which is a blast in the rough water, but too big to bring every time!

pettt
09-09-2008, 08:40 PM
I purchased the 32" cat from same vender. Nice hull for the money. Not at the same level of quality as my h m drifter s but pretty nice. Running a 9xl on 4s and it runs well. I like the way the hull turns in the corners. Better than I was expecting. Only one trip too the pond so far. Try again sunday if the wife lets me go....

electric
09-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I have this boat as well. Ran it with the motor it came with and a 40 mm prop. It melted the the solder joints and came out of the water HOT with a 4s set up. I now have an 8xl with two 2s batteries for a 14.4 volt set up and clocked 37.8mph a few weekends ago with a m442 prop. It turns Great. I think I should be able to get it into the 40's with a bit more work.

kwiktsi
09-09-2008, 09:48 PM
I have this boat as well. Ran it with the motor it came with and a 40 mm prop. It melted the the solder joints and came out of the water HOT with a 4s set up. I now have an 8xl with two 2s batteries for a 14.4 volt set up and clocked 37.8mph a few weekends ago with a m442 prop. It turns Great. I think I should be able to get it into the 40's with a bit more work.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking maybe 3S would work on that motor. Awfully small motor for the 6S they claim it can run. Not going to be very fast, but it will work for the time being. I'll up it to a different setup when the time comes. I want runtime more than speed out of this one right now.