PDA

View Full Version : *Does* the Seaking 180V3 need extra cooling?

IRON-PAWW
11-20-2014, 09:36 PM
Hey guys.

Just looking at getting a Seaking 180V3 to put in my 36in Ariane after the BBQ I had with it. So the 180 only has the one cooling line going through it right? Does it really need fittings added to the other holes in the heatsink and water run through those as well. Will be running 6S. Can anyone point me to some water fittings that would work well with it. Could I tap the existing holes then screw in additional water fittings? Or - is this really not required.....

Chris Nason
11-20-2014, 10:48 PM
I have one but only have three runs on it with 4s stays pretty cool pushing a 1515 2200kv and x645 prop to add cooling you would have to try and move the cap's as they block the two other holes in the heat. Sink

IRON-PAWW
11-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Gotcha :thumbup1:. What about 90 degree fittings? Would those fit?

Chris Nason
11-20-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't think you will get anything in the holes without moving the caps if I was at home I would take a pic and will when I get home if nobody else can but I don't know if it really needs the extra cooling I ran it pretty hard and it only got up to around 87deg but that also only 4s

HangTheMan
11-20-2014, 11:13 PM
The cap completely blocks the second water cooling hole so you won't be able to get to the hole. I run mine on 6s and 4s and it has remained pretty cool. See picture below

Chris Nason
11-20-2014, 11:17 PM
124221 here this best I can do for ya right now

Chris Nason
11-20-2014, 11:20 PM
The cap completely blocks the second water cooling hole so you won't be able to get to the hole. I run mine on 6s and 4s and it has remained pretty cool. See picture below

Ah beat me to it was fighting with my phone to post pic

IRON-PAWW
11-21-2014, 12:42 AM
I see what you guys mean about the caps blocking the other holes. I have plenty of v2's which can get hottish but this seems like a different heatsink design altogether. Thanks for the low down guys! They're sealed a lot better than the v2's right? You guys do any extra waterproofing on these?

Chris Nason
11-21-2014, 01:16 AM
I ran it as it came it looks pretty water tight to me

msundsd5
11-21-2014, 10:26 AM
I have run many V3's and have not had any issue, most of my set ups are on 6s as well, I have beat them pretty good at times in the Summer and they come back cool as the other side of the pillow.

TheShaddix
11-21-2014, 04:22 PM
I added extra brass tubing directly on top of the heatsinks. I wrapped sand paper around one of the tubes and widened the channels so the tubing has more contact with the heatsink and is half way sunk into the channels. A lot of high end esc's have a similar cooling system with just brass tubes so I figure it would help. And it did. It used to get really hot where I couldn't touch it at all for over a second (a lot of half throttle running), but now it just gets really warm instead, but never too hot, so I know there is a difference, just not sure how beneficial it is in other applications. I find the cooling on the v3 very mediocre so anything will be better than just one tube going through it. I'll post some pics later.

kendt
11-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Has anyone pulled the heatsink off one of these for a peek. If i understand they switched from metal to copper bars between the fets and the heatsink, providing better heat transfer thus needing less waterflow.