PDA

View Full Version : You Man Made Global warming freaks can bash this around

sjslhill
09-04-2008, 04:47 PM
CLIMATE CHANGE – The real causes

Professor Geoffrey G Duffy
DEng, PhD, BSc, ASTC Dip., FRS NZ, FIChemE, CEng

http://nzclimatescience.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=339&Itemid=1

So what are the key players in ‘Climate Change’? The major driver is the sun. Warming depends on the sun. Cooling is due to the lack of sun’s energy. Radiant energy enters the earth’s atmosphere. Air (on a dry basis) consists mainly of nitrogen 78.08% and oxygen 20.94%. Of the 0.98% remaining, 95% of that (ie 0.934%), or almost all is the inert gas argon. Carbon dioxide CO2 is a trace. It is less than 400ppm (parts per million) or 0.04% of all the atmosphere (on a dry basis). Surprisingly, less than a fifth of that is man-made CO2 (0.008% of the total), and that is only since the beginning of the industrial era and the rapid increase in world population.

Mich. Maniac
09-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I think the cause is from all the fiberglass risin used to produce RC boat hulls. On the other hand global warming is good for us since it will melt the glaciers and flood our lakes! I say bring it on!

Dr. Jet
09-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Have you noticed how the discussion topic has evolved from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change"? I wonder why? I just heard a news article stating that we are now looking at "Global Cooling".

This entire hoax is a vehicle to tax us and burden us with excessive new regulations aimed at solving a "problem" whose existence can not be proven.

As I have stated before, the planet warms and cools all the time. How arrogant can we humans be to think we have any influence on the weather? Spend thousands of hours a few miles above the surface of the earth as I have, and you can see how little impact man has on the planet. The most visible impact humans have is growing large quantities of plants. Some call it farming.

AndyKunz
09-10-2008, 08:54 AM
We were looking at Global Cooling when I was a kid in the 70's! Guess it's the new fad again. Now we'll all have to buy SUV's again to warm the planet back up :)

Andy

NorthernBoater
09-14-2008, 12:58 PM
If you look at this graph the increase in CO2 concides very well with when an ice age should happen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Carbon_Dioxide_400kyr.png

azjc
09-14-2008, 02:17 PM
we do go through climate cycles, we has a mini ice age about 400 yrs ago. A lot depends on the polar ice, the more ice we have the more solar energy gets reflected back into space and the less we have the more heat gets absorbed by the earth. In the past usually some sort of natural occurance such as a meteor hitting the earth and causing dust to relase in the atmosphere to block out the sun to start to cause cooling and over a course of millions of years causing an ice age. Another thing to remember is the lenght of time modern man has been on the earth, if the earths 3.5 billion yrs was a 24 Hr day we would be the last second of that day....

Quicksilver
09-14-2008, 10:36 PM
A lot of these threads get a rise out of me, but then every side must try to prove their point. You guys can argue to the end of time trying to prove to me Christ is the messiah, but I'm not going to budge and neither will many of you on environmental concerns. We each do our part right or wrong. I drive a little import but it goes like stink, so I justify to myself, well it still gets better mpg than an SUV at any speed. So I speed, even though I know I shouldnt.

I think the point gets lost in the theories and debunking of these theories. Firstly theyre theories, no one knows what will happen, if you meet someone that does, please dont talk to them again.

Secondly we do only have one earth and whatever you believe you should still care. I cannot stand people who say they will actually try to trash the planet out of spite. It's just insane, well more specifically, idiotic.

As for my opinion, pollution is still pollution, whether or not the oceans rise, sink cities and whatever nonsense. Instead of merely finding flaws in theories, look for what are facts. I would love to write up a nice "essay" here, but really who really cares. I run an electric boat after all..........that requires electricity which is most likely made using coal.........In conclusion I said nothing. :banana:

Bill-SOCAL
09-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Might I remind everyone that gravity is "just a theory" as well.

So don't get too hung up on the nomenclature that science uses.

The term "Global Climate Change" is taking over "Global Warming" because those in the field determined that climate change is really what the effect is all about and is far more descriptive. Also, using warming means anytime it is 1 degree cooler someplace somebody is going to say "See, there you go, what a bunch of morons. It's COLDER here today. Warming my a$$".

And it is incorrect to think man is causing global warming or climate change. It is certainly a natural cycle. But there is a fairly large body of evidence that indicates that man's actions are making the natural cycle worse than it might have been. Sort of like pumping a lake that is going down due to a drought. The lake would likely dry up eventually, but the pumping makes it happen faster. Then trying to defend the pumping by saying it is a natural cycle so why worry??

To me the real question is can we do anything about it, or should we be more concerned with trying to figure out how to live with it.

None of this is as much fun as saying Al Gore invented Global Warming because he wants to take your SUV away from you because he hates conservatives, but then again I can't really believe anyone with better than a 3rd grade education actually thinks that either.

Simon.O.
09-15-2008, 03:00 AM
Secondly we do only have one earth and whatever you believe you should still care. I cannot stand people who say they will actually try to trash the planet out of spite. It's just insane, well more specifically, idiotic.

As for my opinion, pollution is still pollution, whether or not the oceans rise, sink cities and whatever nonsense. Instead of merely finding flaws in theories, look for what are facts. .

I am with you there.
As far as climate change, global whatever goes I do not give a sh!t, as I beleive that a lot of it is published by interested parties and Governments will do what they choose. Go the conspiricy.

I fully agree with Quicksilver on pollution. THIS is something we all can help with.
I do what I can to recycle etc and minimise energy usage.
Some of the drive is for my wallet and some is for the environment.
Now litter. That is one of the things that will make me type so much @#$$%^the Censor General ould have a seizure.
Do what you can in your home to make a little difference,
..........and let the Govt take your cash to fix the rest.:laugh:

tylerm
09-15-2008, 04:11 AM
..........and let the Govt take your cash to fix the rest.:laugh:

Certainly what Helen Clark and the honourable Dr Cullen like doing..........
Tyler.

AndyKunz
09-15-2008, 08:02 AM
I think the point gets lost in the theories and debunking of these theories. Firstly theyre theories, no one knows what will happen, if you meet someone that does, please dont talk to them again.

I run an electric boat after all..........that requires electricity which is most likely made using coal.........In conclusion I said nothing. :banana:

But at least you're honest about it. Algore can't even get that part right. His movie is nothing but Convenient Untruths.

Andy

Bill-SOCAL
09-15-2008, 09:12 AM
You really have to let the Gore thing go. Gore is the messenger, he is NOT the one who is doing the science. It seems that to many people the fact that Gore is associated with the idea means that it is untrue.

rockwerks
09-15-2008, 10:55 AM
You really have to let the Gore thing go. Gore is the messenger, he is NOT the one who is doing the science. It seems that to many people the fact that Gore is associated with the idea means that it is untrue.

after all he invented the internet, actually if you corner one of the guru's on Global warming and ask them about temp cycles on the earth in the past and how it equates to the cycle we are in now....they have no answers except for the fact that the earth is warming up.

Did you know the largest producer of methane gas and CO2 that escapes into our atmosphere comes from dairy and beef cow flatulence, about 100 times that of automobiles

Bill-SOCAL
09-15-2008, 11:21 AM
after all he invented the internet, actually if you corner one of the guru's on Global warming and ask them about temp cycles on the earth in the past and how it equates to the cycle we are in now....they have no answers except for the fact that the earth is warming up.

Really? James Hansen, perhaps the best known and an acknowledged leader in the field of global warming seems to have a good deal to say about it.

One example:
http://mises.org/Community/blogs/tokyotom/archive/2008/01/15/did-global-warming-stop-in-1998-jim-hansen-says-no.aspx

I am not aware of any serious researcher in this field who does not understand and acknowledge that there are natural cycles to global temperature. In fact, it is that undertanding that provides the basis for the concern.

And most methane produced by cows actually comes from burping not flatulence.

http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/magazine/15-06/st_cow

Methane has a half-life of about 7 years, and it breaks down to CO2.

http://mc-computing.com/qs/Global_Warming/Atmospheric_Composition.html

There are some who say that due to the bovine contribution of methane that more could be done to help global warming if we could just eat less meat.

The bad news is that again, the US consumes the majority of the world's meat production. And producing meat also requires considerable use of petroleum, so it gets us on two accounts!!

Good article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/weekinreview/27bittman.html

Ctonez
09-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Quicksilver pretty much summed up how I see most of the off-topic debates "discussed" in forums.
Same thing I feel when I have political "discussions" with my in-laws, who constantly argue their points with incorrect information. The best anyone can do is diligently pursue facts so that you can make informed decisions rather than ignorant ones. I wish more people would do that.
Realistically no one is going to sway anyone else to believe their position is right unless folks are more inclined have an open mind and allow room for their opinions to be changed. Personally I think our American egos don't really allow for much of that.

There, now I've also said nothing.:w00t:

rockwerks
09-15-2008, 01:02 PM
I met James Hansen at a symposium on global warming back in 2006 I believe at NAU

and he was not that sure then, I think the quote was "OUR BEST THEORY", no one is 100% sure of the effects. For every one you can find to support our involvement in global warming you can also find another who dismisses it

Quicksilver
09-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I kinda left this thread alone for a little while and am pleasantly surprised at what happened.

I rarely bring this up because it really has little consequence in internet debates, but I do have my BS in Biology/Ecology (and work in hotel management :confused2:). I feel a lot of extremist environmentalists really steal the stage when it comes to the climate debate. Some of the quacks in the field get the spotlight, simply because what they say raises so much debate and gives media outlets higher ratings. I take everything with a grain of salt.

I was watching the discovery channel last night and they had a show called "before the dinosaurs." They were showing giant newts having a ritualistic mating dance/fight. I'm sittin there saying to myself well this is interesting and then I said, wait this is crap! they just took normal present day newt behavior and scaled it up and gave it nifty CGI. Point being, they make crap just to make crap, because no one wants to hear boring theories, they want it all summed up in a nice package, easily consumed.

With climate change average people dont want to hear how the oceans rising 2 degrees will kill coral communities in the tropics, which will in turn decrease species richness and ultimately lead to a decline in larger game fish, by decreasing their food supply.

That's kind of a problem with science, unless you were taught the basics of how certain systems work, there is no way you can explain something to the general public. Like evolution; cant tell you guys how many times I've tried to explain it, but I had to take 3 courses just to get the basics and if you dont have that background, you'll go your whole life thinking "I didnt come from some monkey."

I guess this time I said something, but not really, to be completely honest I dont have a solid idea on what is happening, that's like summing up what is happening in anyone of our brains. The present data is constantly changing, we're constantly changing our chemistry, it comes down to variables and when talking about global variables in climate change, it's almost infinite. You can get an idea on how works, but you'll never really know because what you're trying to study is changing constantly. It's much easier to study whale populations than to try to fit whale populations, with CO2 emissions from power plants in China that multiply every year.

There, now I'm tired out. :laugh: