PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Sag?

MGORMAN
10-19-2014, 12:57 PM
Hello,

Have a Revolt 30 rebuild that cutting out on full throttle? voltage drop? timing?

M445 Prop
Turnigy 3974 2200KV
Seaking 180A V3
Turnigy 5S 5000mah 30c

Thanks!

Mike

kfxguy
10-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Try a smaller prop. That's a little big to be running on a 2200kv motor on 5s with such a low C rating on your battery. Combo is mis-matched.thos is how I would do it....

X442 prop to start. Then go to a x642. Both props detounged.
4s on that motor. 45 - 50c or higher batteries. 5s for speed runs. 4s for constant running.

Make-a-Wake
10-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Yeah, thats too much prop for 5s, that motor/prop combo is a common setup for 4s and a 2200kv motor. As kfxguy mentioned, a 442 seems to be a good fit for 5s..................or an x637. The 445 is just too much diamter for that 36mm to swing. A 4074 would be able to.

Luck as a Constant
10-19-2014, 03:01 PM
the turnigy aqua star motors aren't that great imo. its max voltage is 18.5 and you've maxed it out. not a good idea really. get rid of the motor and get a leopard 4074 2200 or even better a castle 1515 1y and you'll be good.
also as said above a better battery will help, but won't solve your issue. i disagree you need 45-50c minimum. some 40c packs will do.

before anything else i would lose that motor and get a castle or something similar.

oscarel
10-19-2014, 03:31 PM
X442 prop to start. Then go to a x642. Both props detounged.
4s on that motor. 45 - 50c or higher batteries. 5s for speed runs. 4s for constant running.

The x642 has more total pitch than the x445, so that wouldn't be a good idea either.

X445 1.4x1.77=2.478
X645 1.6x1.65=2.640"

What do you have the LVC set for on the esc? Not sure about the V3 but the older Seakings/Turnigy esc's were sensitive to voltage drops.

Peter A
10-19-2014, 05:20 PM
The Aquastar motor is, give or take, the same size as the leo 4074. Drop down to 4s and it will run the 445 ok, and as Trav said go for higher C rating batts. I ran the same motor in a rigger and it took a 45x1.6 cnc prop ok on 4s with turnigy blue 40c and 65c nanos, v2 t180. 5s is maxing it on that motor, well any 2200kv motor for anything other than saw runs really. Also check your esc timing and lvc.

Luck as a Constant
10-19-2014, 05:22 PM
I ran a 2200kv castle motor on 5s for sport running for like 3 years without issue. It's not just for saw runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keithbradley
10-19-2014, 05:28 PM
I ran a 2200kv castle motor on 5s for sport running for like 3 years without issue. It's not just for saw runs.

In a mono?

Luck as a Constant
10-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Nah. A cat. Would a mono make a huge difference?

keithbradley
10-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Nah. A cat. Would a mono make a huge difference?

Yeah it would be different. Not as much as a rigger vs. a mono, but it's definitely an advantage having a cat hull.

Luck as a Constant
10-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Yeah I hadn't considered that.
I retract my statements I guess."shrug"

kfxguy
10-19-2014, 07:02 PM
the turnigy aqua star motors aren't that great imo. its max voltage is 18.5 and you've maxed it out. not a good idea really. get rid of the motor and get a leopard 4074 2200 or even better a castle 1515 1y and you'll be good.
also as said above a better battery will help, but won't solve your issue. i disagree you need 45-50c minimum. some 40c packs will do.

before anything else i would lose that motor and get a castle or something similar.

"Some" 40c packs would do? Why would you even post this? If you going to post that then maybe you care to make a list of appropriate packs you could use at 40c? I'm trying to help they guy and you posting that will do nothing but confuse him. I prefer to use high c, quality packs. It's better to be safe, than sorry. You under do it on battery and you could have esc problems, battery puffing issues, batteries running hot because they are struggling to keep up, wires that are hot and many other issues. If you go a little higher on amperage on your batteries....what problems are you going to have? A problem of spending a few extra bucks for good stuff? Then he can use his better batteries in his next boat. Why half ass it? I understand that hyperion or a couple other "expensive" batteries work well but your going to direct a newb to buy an overpriced battery just to run 40c? Makes sense to me. Lol

Luck as a Constant
10-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Nice lecture.

keithbradley
10-19-2014, 07:09 PM
"Some" 40c packs would do? Why would you even post this? If you going to post that then maybe you care to make a list of appropriate packs you could use at 40c? I'm trying to help they guy and you posting that will do nothing but confuse him. I prefer to use high c, quality packs. It's better to be safe, than sorry. You under do it on battery and you could have esc problems, battery puffing issues, batteries running hot because they are struggling to keep up, wires that are hot and many other issues. If you go a little higher on amperage on your batteries....what problems are you going to have? A problem of spending a few extra bucks for good stuff? Then he can use his better batteries in his next boat. Why half ass it? I understand that hyperion or a couple other "expensive" batteries work well but your going to direct a newb to buy an overpriced battery just to run 40c? Makes sense to me. Lol

A few of us have tested the 35C Glacier brand packs from buddyrc with good results. In power output and voltage drop tests they actually out-performed a set of 65C packs that are quite popular in FE boats. Whether or not this is across the board with every pack they offer or not, I don't know, but from what I've heard from others they perform well in other sizes and C ratings also.

Luck as a Constant
10-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Travis, where was your list of appropriate batteries? Maybe he will go buy max amps since they're rated above anything else....
I wasn't trying to discredit you. I stated that I disagree, not that you're wrong or anything. No need to crawl down my throat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kfxguy
10-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Travis, where was your list of appropriate batteries? Maybe he will go buy max amps since they're rated above anything else....
I wasn't trying to discredit you. I stated that I disagree, not that you're wrong or anything. No need to crawl down my throat

Sorry bout that....I was having a relapse of that last thread about people pretty much calling me an idiot because I recommended 50c or more for boats......so apologies. ......but let me clarify a bit....

1) stay away from maxx amps. .....
2) stay away from turnigy Nano techs (I know some people are going to get upset at that and I Apologize in advance, I've just seen too many fires and failures to recommend them)

I'll list what "I" think are good sport batteries (I'm sure some will agree or disagree)

1) gens ace (good bang for the buck)
2) venom (not the most powerful, on the expensive side, but have a good warranty. ..they are the only batteries my kids HAVE puffed tho....but they run them down like nicads....so it's not their fault...lol)
3) of course my favorite is revolectrix. ..cheaply priced, very very powerful.
4) I've read good things about zippy, giant power and the non Nano tech turnigys.

I try to stay with names I know. May or may not be a good idea. Just don't buy maxx amps whatever you do! Lmao!

kfxguy
10-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Nice lecture.

I'm working on my lecture skills. I have a 15 year old kid and a 10 year old right behind him that's going to need lectures. Lmao...

kfxguy
10-19-2014, 08:05 PM
A few of us have tested the 35C Glacier brand packs from buddyrc with good results. In power output and voltage drop tests they actually out-performed a set of 65C packs that are quite popular in FE boats. Whether or not this is across the board with every pack they offer or not, I don't know, but from what I've heard from others they perform well in other sizes and C ratings also.

I agree there's stuff out there that perform higher than average or higher than their rating...but I'll limit my statement to the most common stuff we all know. I've never heard of glacier...lol. i dont want to start a battery debate...we all have different things we've used and they work. I just wouldn't go buy a set of cheap no name China 30c packs off ebay and throw them in a normal size boat and call it a day lol. Of course the lower C stuff works good in say something like a mini mono or geico 17 or blackjack 9....but we aren't talking mini boats..... :)

MGORMAN
10-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Everyone thanks for the great help!

Luck as a Constant
10-19-2014, 08:19 PM
No prob Travis. I appreciate your input always... :yesway:
Gorman I hope you get it all worked out man ...

kfxguy
10-19-2014, 08:24 PM
No prob Travis. I appreciate your input always... :yesway:
Gorman I hope you get it all worked out man ...

I feel bad for jumping all over you. My bad!

Luck as a Constant
10-19-2014, 08:27 PM
No worries man. I apologize if I came off like I was throwing you under a bus or something. I know we have a little disagreement about batteries, and c rating. but from now on I'll try to be more specific with my answers in regards to them without looking like I'm discrediting you -) Not my intentions at all. Certainly you are a knowledgeable guy.
Rock on man \m/

Bryan73
10-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Just a thought to bear in mind. Discharge rate does not dictate quality and also, discharge rate without knowing the capacity is meaningless.
50c discharge on a 3000mAh battery and 50c discharge rate on a 6000mAh battery are completely different.
I do agree it's better to be safe than sorry, but there will always be a threshold at which you are just wasting resources.

Make-a-Wake
10-19-2014, 09:22 PM
What do you have the LVC set for on the esc? Not sure about the V3 but the older Seakings/Turnigy esc's were sensitive to voltage drops.

I think you may have nailed it. I experienced similar problems a few years back. I turned off the LVC and it ran fine. I believe I then set it at 2.8v and watched my time.

kfxguy
10-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Just a thought to bear in mind. Discharge rate does not dictate quality and also, discharge rate without knowing the capacity is meaningless.
50c discharge on a 3000mAh battery and 50c discharge rate on a 6000mAh battery are completely different.
I do agree it's better to be safe than sorry, but there will always be a threshold at which you are just wasting resources.

Agreed

Brushless55
10-19-2014, 11:29 PM

I'm needing to try those out
I have some 25C GensAce packs and really like those in my P Spec OPC and LSH

pescador
10-22-2014, 01:15 PM
No one has mentioned checking the caps. If it cuts out for a bit then restarts might be good to check them for bulging or leaking. Just a thought I had it happen to mine.

Brian