PDA

View Full Version : PB Blackjack 29 motor question

Crashbox
10-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Man, there is a lot said about the stock setup for this boat on this forum! Great info. Sum it up for me.
I broke the stock 1800KV motor. (Broke off a water nipple) Horizon sent me a new 1500KV unit as a replacement.
Can anyone give me a recommendation on whether to keep and run the 1500KV or get them to send me a new 1800KV motor. It seems as though the 1500KV is a better choice for the stock 80A ESC on 6S and a stock prop.
Sport and fun running only.

>>> CB

BHChieftain
11-11-2014, 09:30 AM
I personally like the 1500kv motor better, even on 4S. You'll get more torque / acceleration out of the turns. I run my blackjack (1800kv) against my son's geico (1500) same prop and he still beats me... I start to pull him in the straights but by the time we get to the corner he's got me...

If you are doing a lot of sport boating with lots of turns, you'll appreciate the torque. If you are running long straight a ways, then the 1800 motor would be a bit faster.

And if you do want to run 6S the 1500 is just right (advise you upgrade the ESC to 180A and not use the stock 80A ESC on 6s...)

Chief

royalcasa
11-11-2014, 11:58 AM
I have been running my BJ for about 6 months. no problems so far. I have a pic of the BJ on the new build thread. if you are interested.my son has the miss Geico.

JackBlack26
11-17-2014, 07:32 PM
You can just pop the sleeve off the 1500 and put it on the 1800.

Crashbox
11-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the advice Chief, I've been running the 1500KV on 6S with the stock prop. No temp issues at all and she does pull strong as blazes out of the turns! Followed your setup guide you sent me for this boat with great success. The thing still has a bit of bounce accelerating up but seems to calm right down from 3/4 to full speed. I don't know how fast we are but I have a pile of fun with this boat!

>>> CB

Crashbox
11-19-2014, 10:02 PM
I'm going swap in the 1800KV stocker one of these days just for the comparo. It started snowing here about three days ago and the pond froze over so I'm SOL till spring. What really irks me is that I can't seem to find a water nipple to repair the stock jacket. Seems a waste.

>>> CB

Fluid
11-19-2014, 10:31 PM
The stock jacket will slide off, can be replaced with a jacket from Kintec.

Dortiz68
05-21-2015, 10:14 AM
I have a followup question on this motor. I have the 1800kv and when I turn the prorp by hand it turns in steps and not very smooth. I'm new to RC Boats but I've been racing off-road and on-road cars for several years. I've never felt an electric motor like this. Most motors I've had rotate very smoothly but this motor feels like it is simulating a piston cycle or something. Is this normal?

Also, I read above that someone mentioned the stock ESC can't handle 6S. Is that a true concern?

Thanks for your feedback,
Daniel

ray schrauwen
05-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Yes it is normal. The motor has 6 poles and the magnets are very strong. Many car motors are 2 pole or 4 pole and typically much lower power rating since cars don't require nearly as much power to run as a boat and car motors that are not as hard to turn usually have better/finer low speed control that boats don't really need.

The stock esc would be at its highest stress point running 6S and an upgrade would insure reliability.

Dortiz68
05-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Yes it is normal. The motor has 6 poles and the magnets are very strong. Many car motors are 2 pole or 4 pole and typically much lower power rating since cars don't require nearly as much power to run as a boat and car motors that are not as hard to turn usually have better/finer low speed control that boats don't really need.

The stock esc would be at its highest stress point running 6S and an upgrade would insure reliability.

Thanks for the great feedback. I feel much better about the motor. I was getting ready to open it up and check the bearings to see if there was something going on in there, but your explanation makes perfect sense.

I'm actually doing a 1st build right now. Everything just arrived this week except the motor the only frame of reference I have are car motors and my son's PB Impulse 26 which came with a brushed motor but I upgraded it to a Seaking 60A ESC and Hobbywing 2848 brushless motor (which has a smooth turn). Looking forward to the build but it'll be a learning experience. Would like to ultimately build a large scale boat similar to your profile picture.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm on a learning search so all information is helpful.

Daniel