PDA

View Full Version : Legg Lake 5-Day Super SAW Event Wed Nov 5th-Sun Nov 9th

RaceMechaniX
09-30-2014, 05:15 PM
The Amigos are hosting a 5-day SAW event at Legg Lake in South El Monte Wednesday November 5th through Sunday November 9th. We are anticipating an international gathering of a selection of the fastest radio control model boats. We encourage all to participate or just come out and watch some of the fastest model boats worldwide.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Legg+Lake,+California+91733/@34.0300719,-118.0602484,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x80c2d0fe6ea6c6b7:0x78657a5d140fe df

We ask all contestants to pre-register with Mark Grim so we can get a head count particularly for food. Kim Grim will be serving up her 5 star BBQ several of the days and it’s reason enough to come even if you don’t run.

The event is open to all NAMBA legal classes Nitro, Gas and Electric. NAMBA membership and proof of current standing is required so please bring your card. Single event coverage is available onsite.

7372 Natal Drive, Westminster, CA 92683
714-615-9974
mgrim@mindspring.com

Due to its size and expected high speeds we are adding several specific rules to the event.

1. All boats will go through a pre-tech to check for general rules compliance
a. Hull classification
b. NAMBA numbers, appropriate lettering per class specifics
c. Radio/electrical tidiness (i.e. solid connections, good mounting, no rats nests)
d. Mechanicals (pushrods, mounts, etc)
e. General battery tech for FE boats
2. At the beginning of each day we will define a running order for all the contestants.
a. The “on deck” and “in the back-up” will be called for each run.
b. The CD may amend per conditions as necessary.
c. A driver may pass on a run, but must wait till the next turn to run.
d. A driver may run multiple boats within the 5 minute window
e. A driver may relaunch within the 5 minute window
f. Drivers cannot switch spots in line.
g. It is suggested if you are helping a competitor and are a contestant you space yourself by several people in the running order.
3. Contestants will have 5 minutes from the time their name is called to launch and run their boat.
a. FE boats should be taped in advance
b. Some leniency will be granted to drivers where the previous driver has skipped a turn.
c. The CD has the right to amend as necessary.
4. Contestants must have a launcher/spotter. This may be different people, but a spotter is absolutely required for any pass. The host club will be happy to assist any contestant or appoint a local racer with sufficient knowledge of the lake.
5. No High Voltage cells will be allowed at any time
a. FE boats will be subject to a pre-tech before they tape up. Individual cell voltages cannot under any circumstance exceed 4.23V/cell. A simple cell checker will be used. If any cell is at 4.23V, a Fluke DVM will be used as a secondary check to confirm.
b. There will be random checks in the pits for excessive charging. Competitors must be willing to show the maximum voltage charge per cell in their charger to an inspector.
6. Safe Charging and lipo handling
a. Prewarming is allowed, but limited to 140F.
b. Prewarming must be performed in a safe manner no exceptions.
c. Charging in Lipo Bags or fireproof container is recommended.
d. Lipos when unconnected will have at minimum one lead covered by a cap or shield to prevent accidental shorting to the opposite lead.
7. FE Pre-tech:
a. Prior to a run a FE competitor will request a pre-tech before they tape up.
b. An inspector will walk to the contestants pit area when they will check cell voltages for compliance prior to a run.
c. The inspector will have a pre-filled card for that boat to verify it was checked prior to a run.
d. The card will be used again for the post tech.
8. Following a record run boat
a. A nitro or Gas boat will be tagged by the CD. The contestant can continue to run, but may not teardown the motor or remove from the boat unless in the presence of an inspector appointed by the CD.
b. An FE boat must be placed near the timing table and untapped in the presence of an approved inspector. The inspector will verify pack voltage and electrical connection per class rules. The tech card will be filled out and approved.
9. Priority runs towards the end of the event.
a. Starting Saturday afternoon we will initiate a priority list for running for those close to their respective records to take advantage of prime water.
b. Previous runs during the event will qualify a contestant for the “short list”
c. We will use a 5% rule for proximity; however the CD may alter as necessary.
We reserve the right to amend these rules so check back prior to the event.

Fluid
09-30-2014, 05:40 PM
I commend the Amigos and friends for their focus on the letter of the rules and on safety. I am so looking forward to this event!

Darin Jordan
09-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Nicely Done, Amigos!!

thomaslambo
10-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Great job Amigos/Tyler :thumbup1:

MarkF
10-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Nice write up Tyler. The only thing I can think of is fire extinguishers at every pit. Maybe we can supply these to people from out of town.

Mark

Doug Smock
10-01-2014, 12:22 PM
I commend the Amigos and friends for their focus on the letter of the rules and on safety.

:iagree:

Stuck this thread for you fellas.:wink:

properchopper
10-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Once we get the confirmed head count we need to confer to find out exactly what pit equipment needs to be supplied for the out of town entrants.

RaceMechaniX
10-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Nice write up Tyler. The only thing I can think of is fire extinguishers at every pit. Maybe we can supply these to people from out of town.

Mark

Yes, those are a basic NAMBA rule. I plan on the Amigos/SoCalFE helping out here. I know I have a couple extras.
TG

Grazacind
10-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Sounds great gents. I am not sure if Kris and Aaron are at this one I think they are. If so could someone make sure they get some video of the Aussie boys. Be nice to see them running and hopefully bring more people over in the future.

Cheers
Andrew

Kris Flynn
10-01-2014, 11:33 PM
This is CERTAINLY the one Andrew!!

Appreciate the help USA boy with extingushiers and tables :) and maybe a power supply...Do I need my own charger for my 4s stuff? or has someone got a hyperion charger i can borrow? Just trying to stay light and bring the important stuff :)

properchopper
10-02-2014, 12:14 AM
This is CERTAINLY the one Andrew!!

Appreciate the help USA boy with extingushiers and tables :) and maybe a power supply...Do I need my own charger for my 4s stuff? or has someone got a hyperion charger i can borrow? Just trying to stay light and bring the important stuff :)

I can cover you with Hyperion Charger(s)* & power supply. Should have plenty of gen power available.

* what connectors & polarities are on your batts so I'll have charging cables to match?

TheShaughnessy
10-02-2014, 12:52 AM
I know I offered to help with an EZ-up but the garage it was in caught fire and I'm not sure how long insurance will take. It smells like smoke so I guess it's a loss, looked ok to me but gotta play da rules

Kris Flynn
10-02-2014, 01:36 AM
I can cover you with Hyperion Charger(s)* & power supply. Should have plenty of gen power available.

* what connectors & polarities are on your batts so I'll have charging cables to match?

Champion!

Female 5.5 on my positive (red) on my batteries
Male 5.5 on my negative (black)

I can bring my leads though :)

madmikepags
10-04-2014, 06:42 PM
hmmmmm I have a 4s rigger that I got from a guy named brian............................

RaceMechaniX
10-06-2014, 09:31 PM
I suggest you throw it in a suitcase and take the family to LA and make it go fast. If it doesn't there is always Disneyland!

Darin Jordan
10-07-2014, 07:25 AM
I suggest you throw it in a suitcase and take the family to LA and make it go fast. If it doesn't there is always Disneyland!

"Ummmm.. John, I agree".... :thumbup1:

Mike... You'd have a BLAST!!

TheShaughnessy
10-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Mike I'd be happy to supply bubble gum on days you don't want to kick ass.

Darin Jordan
10-10-2014, 02:17 PM
I picked up this Voltage Checker from Horizon this week. Seems to work really well. Plugs into the voltage taps of some batteries directly (Align style taps), or through a universal adapter board, like shown in the video.

Provides "ALL" voltage, as well as each cell.

Retails for $9.99 at Horizon Hobby. Compact and seems to be very simple to use.

I'd consider this a great tool for the racers as well as officials.

I'll bring it to this SAW event for review.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/li-po-cell-voltage-checker-dyn4071
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/horizonhobby/DYN4071_a0?wid=1400&hei=778

http://youtu.be/V8DOpKrMy5Y

RaceMechaniX
10-10-2014, 02:33 PM
The only downside I see Darin is it only reads to 2 decimal places compared to the Hyperion checker and clones which go to three places for cell voltages.

TG

properchopper
10-10-2014, 02:47 PM
The only downside I see Darin is it only reads to 2 decimal places compared to the Hyperion checker and clones which go to three places for cell voltages.

TG

I have 2 Hyperions + 2 Clones (all go to 3 decimal points to the right ) + a Fluke 77.

TheShaughnessy
10-11-2014, 09:54 AM
At less then half the price of a Hyperion they do the trick. Also we( shop I was working at) had a hard time keeping the hyperions in stock. We got them from Empire and they seemed to be on BO often.

We brought some of the ones in like what Darin posted. I used one just about every day and never had an issue. First it reads total pack voltage, then scrolls threw the cells. Not much to report on it.

Ub Hauled
10-14-2014, 04:40 AM
I hope to make it out this time.... If I dont race, I have a pop up tent loaner.

Darin Jordan
10-14-2014, 09:00 AM

TG

Ummmm... if we need to start reading to 3... we might want to re-evaluate just how seriously we are taking this hobby... :doh:

RaceMechaniX
10-14-2014, 12:12 PM
I am going to pay special attention to you 1 cell guys! :bounce: Every millivolt counts and seeing the third decimal place is the difference between 4.239 and 4.230. Just trying to eliminate any possible doubts.
Is that second boat built yet Darin?

TG

Darin Jordan
10-14-2014, 01:41 PM
I am going to pay special attention to you 1 cell guys! :bounce: Every millivolt counts and seeing the third decimal place is the difference between 4.239 and 4.230. Just trying to eliminate any possible doubts.

Nice... I'll make sure and charge things up "REAL GOOD" just so you'll have something interesting to check! :thumbup1:

Is that second boat built yet Darin?

TG

I'm still trying to finish up the first one! Hoping to have the clear-coat on it tonight though...

properchopper
10-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Nice... I'll make sure and charge things up "REAL GOOD" just so you'll have something interesting to check! :thumbup1:

I'm still trying to finish up the first one! Hoping to have the clear-coat on it tonight though...

Best to use an anti-static mat when testing for three decimal places. I know that if I comb my beard too fast the second hand on my watch picks up speed..

Mike Caruso
10-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Darin,

Your boat design?

Mike

Darin Jordan
10-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Darin,

Your boat design?

Mike

Yes... based on many years of getting help from the best out there... started with a blank piece of paper and hopefully have come up with what I need to meet my goal.

Mike Caruso
10-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Great job coming right along.

Kris Flynn
10-15-2014, 07:12 PM

bring it on!!!!!

Darin Jordan
10-16-2014, 08:43 AM

bring it on!!!!!

I've got a tad more assembly and setup work to do, but I'll take that challenge! Wanna race to 80?? :hug1:

I'll spot you a 4 to 1 advantage on the number of cells... :tiphat:

Kris Flynn
10-16-2014, 09:54 PM
I will accept that challenge

Darin Jordan
10-26-2014, 09:17 PM
One week to go.... and a clear workbench? Can it be so?

properchopper
10-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Looks great, and record-worthy fer sure. C'Ya soon :Peace_Sign:

Darin Jordan
10-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Looks great, and record-worthy fer sure. C'Ya soon :Peace_Sign:

Tony... So... just so we're straight here... You ordered that GLASS water... not that Glass OF Water, right?? :sinking-guy:

properchopper
10-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Tony... So... just so we're straight here... You ordered that GLASS water... not that Glass OF Water, right?? :sinking-guy:

Expect plenty of record-water - maybe a little flatter than this :ohmy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkiTfVT1LaE

Darin Jordan
10-27-2014, 01:06 PM
Expect plenty of record-water - maybe a little flatter than this :ohmy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkiTfVT1LaE

Maybe I should throw in my 1-Meter Pro Boat Serenity Sailboat, just in case?? Is there a SAW class for that?? :Sinking:

properchopper
10-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Maybe I should throw in my 1-Meter Pro Boat Serenity Sailboat, just in case?? Is there a SAW class for that?? :Sinking:

Not yet, plus we need a calibrated one of these to make timing official for the Serenity Class :

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/monthly.html?year=2014&month=11&country=1

RaceMechaniX
10-28-2014, 08:30 PM
One week to go guys. Hopefully all have contacted Mark Grim or myself about coming.

Tyler

Darin Jordan
10-28-2014, 11:50 PM
One week to go guys. Hopefully all have contacted Mark Grim or myself about coming.

Tyler

Ummm.... did you get my text... or 20?? :wub:

RaceMechaniX
10-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Yes, but it was too late your time to reply. I have an interview to perform over the next several hours and will text you then.

The total head count I have right now is 19 people. Please let me know if I am missing anyone.

1. Tyler Garrard
2. Mark Grim
3. Tony Heller
4. Boyd Marshall
5. Brian Neal
6. Jim Johnson
7. O-Donnells
8. Don Maher
9. Darin Jordan
10. Mark F
11. Jay Turner
12. Wilmer Oixdean
13. Manuel Wenny
14. Marko
15. Andreas Lehner
16. Ralf Moser
17. Kris Flynn
18. Aaron Alberico
19. Brad Nichols
20. Florian Schönböck

Does anyone know Brad? I don't know what he needs for equipment.
TG

Kris Flynn
10-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Geeeze just put us at the bottom of the list...only been coming for 6 months

I have heard the name...but not sure who Brad is.

boats made it safe with me to Florida...just need to have some fun here then come back and get racing with all you serious guys who dont have fun ;-)

Darin Jordan
10-29-2014, 01:22 PM

Pfffft! :sinking-guy:

properchopper
10-29-2014, 02:24 PM

I have heard the name...but not sure who Brad is.

boats made it safe with me to Florida...just need to have some fun here then come back and get racing with all you serious guys who dont have fun ;-)

No worries, I got you covered. But you're right, we're too serious here in the land of fruits and nuts 122693

785boats
10-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Hey Kris.
On behalf of all your fellow Aussies, I wish both you & Aaron all the best. Give 'em heaps.:thumbup1:

Chrissharp
10-29-2014, 05:58 PM
I am interested in checking out this event what times do you run.

properchopper
10-29-2014, 06:02 PM
Sunup to Sundown - seems the best water is early or late. C'mon down :thumbup1:

Fluid
10-29-2014, 06:31 PM
I shipped my boat to the hotel this morning. Can't wait!

thomaslambo
10-29-2014, 08:32 PM
The total head count 19 people:

1. Tyler Garrard
2. Mark Grim
3. Tony Heller
4. Boyd Marshall
5. Brian Neal
6. Jim Johnson
7. O-Donnells
8. Don Maher
9. Darin Jordan
10. Mark F
11. Jay Turner
12. Wilmer Oixdean
13. Manuel Wenny
14. Marko
15. Andreas Lehner
16. Ralf Moser
17. Kris Flynn
18. Aaron Alberico
19. Brad Nichols
TG

Wow, can't wait to compete with some of the best on the planet....bring it on :flammes-09:

RaceMechaniX
10-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Added Florian Schönböck to the list.

TG

Darin Jordan
10-30-2014, 12:55 AM
Just in case 3 boats wasn't enough... I decided to do a quick build of a 4th.... N1-Cat is currently 37.xxx mph...

This is a 17" MHZ Micro Iceberg that I'm stuffing an N1 powe system in that formerly pushed my N1 Mono to the current 40.xxx MPH record.

If the water is smooth enough this could be fun...

All hinging on a package from OSE.COM containing the micro rudder assembly I need...

Darin Jordan
10-30-2014, 09:05 AM
All hinging on a package from OSE.COM containing the micro rudder assembly I need...

USPS Tracking:
"Your item arrived at the Post Office at 5:31 am on October 30, 2014 in RENTON, WA 98059. The Postal Service expects to deliver the item on Thursday, October 30, 2014. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later."

Looks like I have a project tonight... ;)

ManuelW
11-03-2014, 03:47 AM
already counting hours..... :bounce:

regards,
Manuel

Fluid
11-03-2014, 08:19 AM
already counting hours..... :bounce:Me too Manuel!!

Brewbud
11-03-2014, 04:56 PM
If work doesn't explode this week, I am planning on up for a day. Is Friday a good day if you only had one day to go? I wanted to come up on Saturday but that is my wife's Bday.

JimClark
11-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Great looking hull Kris hope you set some new records

properchopper
11-03-2014, 06:03 PM
If work doesn't explode this week, I am planning on up for a day. Is Friday a good day if you only had one day to go? I wanted to come up on Saturday but that is my wife's Bday.

Friday(known as "Bring Donuts to the Race Course" day) will be fine for a visit - Everyone should be there by then. Come say hello :thumbup1:

"....If work doesn't explode this week"

Say, you don't work for Orbital Sciences Corp, do you ?

Darin Jordan
11-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Been driving all day... sitting in Stockton having a bite right now. Probably going to take a nap and finish the last 6 hours of the drive early tomorrow!

RaceMechaniX
11-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Just a reminder guys in case you arrive early, you cannot set-up or practice in the SAW area. You are welcome to run in the oval area with your NAMBA membership of course.

thomaslambo
11-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone, FYI - please see the new thread started under "Upcoming Race Events" where we will be posting the results from each day of the event (new records set, notable fast passes and hopefully some great videos and pics):

Link: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?49229-Legg-Lake-5-Day-Super-SAW-Event-Wed-Nov-5th-Sun-Nov-9th&p=596977#post596977

Thanks,

Boyd