PDA

View Full Version : Programming the Seaking 35a ESC modified AQ Minimono? Safemode issues and heat/smoke

Sobie2
09-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Ok so after a year+ I finally got my heavily modified Minimono on the water. I have upgraded the driveshaft to an Octura .098 driveshaft and have 2 props to choose from (I had 3 but on my first test the bullet nut fell off and I lost my Octura X432), I have installed a Tacon 3900kv Innrunner, the Seaking 35A esc, and am using an Electrify 1800mah 30C 3S battery. I have an Octura X632 and a Y531 and a the stock prop (if I drill it out). I live in Alaska and there is one small hobby shop and parts are not readily available always.

The issue: during my first few runs since the modifications, after the first blast of the trigger the ESC seems to go into the 50% power safe mode. If I don't mash the throttle I can get the ESC to maintain the power. At 50% power the boat now runs like the stock version at full power. After I figured out that mashing the throttle kicks it into safe mode I ran it for a while and brought it to shore and there was some smoke in the hull (not alot just a little). Motor ESC and Battery were warm but not hot. The wires seemed like they were the hottest (I am using the stock motor plugs and using Deans batter connectors). The cool water and cooling tube system seems to be working great! This was also after trying the X632 the most aggressive prop I have. But my first test of the boat I was running the X432 (now lost) and it too kicked the boat into safe mode.

The purple plastic Y531 will be what I put on next, but I need to look into motor timing (the 2 page pdf manual says the default setting is 15 deg). Upon startup the Seaking verifies that yes a 3S batter is hooked up (3 beeps).

Should I go up or down with the timing? If anything?
Am I correct that the X632 is too much prop? Suggestion on what to order? Is the prop size causing too much draw and thus heat?
Shoud I turn off the Safemode? The manual says that running LiPos you really should leave it on?

Thanks,
Sobie2

Andris Golts
09-22-2014, 12:25 AM
I had exactly the same issue with my 35 amp Seaking esc running 3s 1300mah lipo 2700kv motor in my hydromite went back to hobbyshop they exchanged and reprogramed 2 more of the 35 amp seakings and the other 2 esc's did exactly the same thing soon as i hit the throttle the 50 % power safe mode kicked in again. I returned the esc got my money back bought a Castle 54 amp Thunderbird esc the only disatvantage with this esc is you will need a stick type transmitter.Regards Andris Golts.

Sobie2
09-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks Andris! The only bad thing is I live in AK and I bought the ESC online, so returning the ESC won't work (bought over a year ago).

I will try to reprogram the ESC to eliminate the Low Voltage Cutoff Threshold, unless advised against it. Then be prepared to buy a new ESC.

Sobie2

Kaotic
09-22-2014, 03:23 PM
What wind is that motor? I have the same ESC in my son's Barbwire, and I have the LVC set for 3.0 and we just run it for 3 1/2 minutes then bring it in. We've done this several times to know how long to run it for, because everytime we take it out we check the lipo with a lipo checker to confirm that it stays above 30% capacity. We also always check the temps to be safe.