PDA

View Full Version : Broken servo

larryrose11
09-15-2014, 07:18 AM
All,
On the maiden run of my Cheetah, I broke a new servo.
It was the Hitec Low Profile bb Servo. It has one ball bearing on the output shaft. One internal metal gear, but output gear is nylon. It sounded like it was just spinning, like it lost its index.

So, a couple of questions:
1. what is a good, tough low profile servo to buy?
2. on RC Cars, they have these things called Servo Savers, basically a shock absorber for your servo connection to the steering horn. Do they work for boats?

I should add, the the search function for forum is not working. That is usually my first stop.

Fluid
09-15-2014, 08:01 AM
Servo savers don't work well on boats and really aren't needed anyway. I normally use standard-size servos, the only low profile I've used is the HiTec 8775MG, a digital servo and not cheap (but then, cheap servos break). Can't you use a standard size servo and lay it down on its side? Almost all my builds have the servo on its side.

larryrose11
09-15-2014, 08:52 AM
I would like to use the servo mout I made for this build, so im constrained on servo size
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=117934&d=1405216895

Using the Servo Data base, i used advanced seach, I found there candidates:

servo data base search results (http://www.servodatabase.com/servos?make=ace-rc,airtronics,align,all-e-rc,arced,associated-electronics,batan,bcm,blue-arrow,blue-bird,caster-racing,cirrus,corona,cys,draganfly,duratrax,dymond ,dynam,dys,e-flite,e-power,e-sky,electrifly,em,emax,eurgle,exi,expert,feetech,f lyermate,fma-direct,futaba,gp-sales,gaui,gening,graupner,gs-racing,gws,heli-max,henge,hextronik,hitec,hobbico,hobby-electronics,hobbyking,hpi-racing,hurricane-flight-systems,hyper-technology,hyperion,ino-lab,integy,interflite,jamara,joinmax,jr,kamdax,kds ,ko-propo,kyosho,logic,losi,maytech,megatech,mks,model craft,mpi,multiplex,outrage,parallax,pingzheng,pon tech,power-hd,protech,raiden,rc-tek,reely,ripmax,robbe,sabre,sanwa,saturn,scanner-rc,skyholic,spektrum,springrc,tactic,team-orion,toki,tonegawa-seiko,tower-hobbies,towerpro,traxxas,trinity,turborix,turnigy, venom,vigor,viverrine,volz,walkera,waypoint,wes-technik,world-models,xcore,xiangyu,xq-power,xtm-racing,zebra&gears=Metal,Titanium&torque48=gt-61&speed48=lt-0.2&width=lt-0.91&height=lt-1.18&sort=torque-desc)

there are some brands I have never head of:
Cirrus?
Scanner RC? (Hobbyking junk?)
Power HD?
FeeTech?
Blue Bird?
Xcore?

Or should I just stick to known stuff, like Spektrum S6070

olwarbirds
09-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Larry, I would try a Savox w/p digital mg servo 208oz torque at 6v... Bill Brandt sells them for $45 shipped he goes by Allrc here on the forum... excellent seller and great guy to deal with...Ive been using Savox servos in RC cars for several yrs, sell them at Hobbyshop I work for...been using them in boats now for awhile, good cust serv too.. DJ

jcald2000
09-16-2014, 07:15 AM
I will second the Savox, best servo I have ever used!

kevinpratt823
09-16-2014, 12:12 PM
In my experience, Savox support to a dealer/store is good, but they did not support me as a customer very well at all, and I own over 15 of their servos. Though I will not be buying any again, I will say their waterproof servo in my sprintcat seems great. Fwiw if you send that hitec in they will likely fox it for free and have it right back out to you in short time, they have excellent support.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2