PDA

View Full Version : BJ29 flex shaft removal

lomdel
08-30-2014, 06:18 AM
What is the best/easiest way to remove the stock BJ29 flex shaft for maintenance? Is it slotted inside the strut? Should I remove the whole strut every time? Video tutorial somewhere?

3-UP
08-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Just loosen the coupler on the motor (two 10MM wrenches) and the flex shaft slides right out :)

lomdel
09-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Thanx, 3-UP. I knew it should just slide out, but mine was stuck and I didn't want to force it. It seems the strut bushing was seized and held the cable so it couldn't slide out. Managed to force it out eventually. Now time for a new bushing and cable...

tlandauer
09-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Thanx, 3-UP. I knew it should just slide out, but mine was stuck and I didn't want to force it. It seems the strut bushing was seized and held the cable so it couldn't slide out. Managed to force it out eventually. Now time for a new bushing and cable...

You should definitely change your collet, I find it hard to imagine the bushing would have seized the stub shaft, the cable is in the tuffing tube and unless it has started to unwind.
The Octura collet is so much better than the stock one, only thing you need to know is that there might be a clearance issue with the stock motor mount, I used a Dremel to grind away some material right under the collet on the motor mount.
There are two versions for the Octura, I am using the "short"version.