PDA

View Full Version : Lucas oil water cooling

S_pisco7084
08-26-2014, 09:59 PM
My lucas oil catamaran only has about 8 runs on it and the water jacket holds no water, it leaks right out and floods the whole compartment. I'm looking at the aquacraft silicone water jacket but it seems that it's about half the length of the stock one. Will that provide enough cooling ?? I usually only run it for the 6 mins my batteries last and then I'm done for at least 30mins... I'm also open to other (cheap) suggestions.. Thanks in advance

longballlumber
08-27-2014, 08:00 AM
This can be fixed without buying another water jacket.

1. pull the silicon water line off of the rudder (water inlet)
2. fill your mouth with water
3. blow water through the system until it comes out the outlet line in the read
4. while still blowing water plug the outlet to create pressure.
5. now really blow hard and look to see where the water is coming from.

Usually you will find the water is coming out of the fittings. I typically CAREFULLY unscrew the fittings and replace them using just a small amount of RVT to seal them up.

Let us know how it goes.

Later,
Mike

S_pisco7084
08-27-2014, 05:53 PM
The water is coming between the motor and jacket so I assume the O ring is bad. I kinda don't want to use something to seal it but if that's what everyone is doing I'm in. I liked the silicone piece because it seems it's self contained.

longballlumber
08-27-2014, 06:53 PM
You can try and "shift" the water jacket a little with out taking it completely off. That may help re-seat the o-ring in the groove on the water cooler

Later
Mike

S_pisco7084
08-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Thank you sir. I'll give that a try

skater368
09-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Call aquacraft and have them send you a new water jacket and seals

Tug Driver
11-24-2014, 08:44 PM
My motley crew has a leopard cooling jacket on it that was used to replace the stock one. I took it off when I got the boat just to see what happened inside and i had to put a thin film of great back on it to the motor. In my profession (mariner) we use grease on o-rings for hatch covers all the time.

fusion_m8
11-25-2014, 03:48 AM
Use silicon based grease, petroleum based products will eat through the o-rings over time.

BHChieftain
11-25-2014, 09:27 AM
I like the stock jackets vs. the silicone ones as you get direct water contact with the motor can. Stick with the stock one and fix/replace the o ring seal.

Note, sometimes the water jacket nipples get loose which can cause leaks-- make sure those are tight too.

Chief