PDA

View Full Version : Stock Blackjack 29 Motor- Is It Really a 6S motor?

Monger
08-16-2014, 08:58 AM
I've been running this boat on 6S. Temps can reach over 130 degrees after just 2 min. runs. I've tried a different Prop, Neg angle on strut, lifted strut, redirected cooling line to enter motor first, and recently changed ESC to a Swordfish 220 Pro. I'm usins 2-3S 5000mah batts. Is the motor just not able to handle 6s? Any suggestions on a different motor.
I would appreciate any help with this matter.

Monger

champion221elite
08-16-2014, 11:02 AM
I had nothing but problems with my original 1800 kv motor that came with my BJ29. A timed run of 3 minutes often produced a motor that was over 150 degrees using the stock prop and ESC. I upgraded the connectors to 5.5 mm bullets and began de-soldering them due to the heat. I ended up getting a Miss Geico 1500 kv motor and it helped, but I was still getting really hot wires and connectors.

I ended up getting a Leopard 3674 motor rated at 1400 kv and my problems disappeared entirely. My motor now comes back about 130 max and that's with 80+ degree lake water. I'm swinging bigger props to offset the lower kv and I'm no longer melting wire insulation or de-soldering connectors. So much happier now.

In short, NO... the supplied 1800 kv motor is not a 6s motor IMHO. As an aside, neither is the factory 80 amp esc... especially if you want to turn a bigger prop on 6s. Be prepared to release the magic smoke if you push that esc any harder than it's stock configuration. There's just not enough head room to accommodate much spike in amp draw. Been there, done that. Released the magic smoke in the process.

Chrissharp
08-16-2014, 02:15 PM
The stock motor on 4s or 5s has been a fun reliable motor for dialing in the boat or for the kids and for this reason my stock motor and esc are being transplanted into a bling rocket 26. I have a geico that has the 3674 1400kv same as champion that is a fast 50 mph reliable boat on 6s. I also have the castle 1515 in my blackjack. Both seem to be just that little bit extra to make running more fun than with the stock powerplant. I have pushed the castle on 6s just to see how it would respond and honestly above 50 the hull got so flighty it was not worth the trouble. Both motors in my book are an excellent add to this boat.