PDA

View Full Version : FE VS-1 Prop Depth and angle

mitchesx
08-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Everyone -

I bought an FE VS-1 last winter and tried running it this week. I had to put the outboard back on when I got it and don't know if I have the depth and angle right. When I ran it, I didn't make half throttle and ten feet from the dock, and over it went. Not sure if it was too quick of an acceleration, or just wrong angles. The prop is an M445 on an OS leg, and a 2030 AQ motor and stock 60 amp ESC. What is everyone that owns one of these set to?

Luck as a Constant
08-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Try a smaller prop. X440

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siberianhusky
08-12-2014, 09:35 PM
First runs on mine with a K&B lower, same motor & x442 prop de tongued, I used the setup info exactly as stated in the manual, download it from AQ if you don't have the paper one, there is a ton of good info about setting up a tunnel. Gave me a good baseline to begin the tuning process. Each one is going to be a little different depending on how you build it and how you drive it. I haven't run mine this year but when I do it is with other boats on the water so my setup may be different than somebody running solo or maybe one other boat. I set mine up kind of conservatively, gotta keep the prop side down and finish the run to think of beating my buddies!

Chilli
08-12-2014, 10:50 PM
I agree with Mark. Each boat is different. Use the directions for basic set up if you have them. Then just play with the strut height and angle (one at a time) until she turns well with no hooking and keeps from blowing over in the straights. I run a 42x55 and I wouldn't want to go any faster with that hull. The boat was designed for stock 21 nitro motors. They are fast with a limited set up but can blow over easily in the wind and chop. You do have to go very easy on the throttle when starting out or she will pop wheelies or flip over on her back. If you blow over allot, have a few spare sets of gears for your servos. My son would strip a set of Hitec 645MG gears once or twice a year from blowing over or flipping during a race. I have since gone to the 945Mg and that has been a great servo. She has stripped a plastic servo arm once and that's it. Much easier to replace than a set of gears!!

mitchesx
08-12-2014, 11:11 PM
Chili - I think that's exactly what I did, too much throttle too soon. The person I bought the boat from ran it with this setup and config before I did, so I would assume it is a good one for the hull. I checked the angle tonight and set it to level. I'm gonna try the prop again and try a little easier trigger finger. I used to run an x437 or 438\3 on the Dumas tunnels I ran with nitro K&B and OS motors. Too small for f/e?

Doby
08-12-2014, 11:32 PM
I run a Hyperperformance lower unit on mine with a x447 2 blade.

siberianhusky
08-13-2014, 06:38 AM
http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/manuals/index.html

here is a link to all the manuals for download.

dasboata
08-13-2014, 08:46 AM
If it is blowing over you can try changing props different rake angle and tips or lower the strut this will help to put the bow in good luck

Chilli
08-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Chili - I used to run an x437 or 438\3 on the Dumas tunnels I ran with nitro K&B and OS motors. Too small for f/e?

You could get those props to work but you'll be missing out on a bunch of speed. People have been trying for a while to get that boat from blowing over in the wind and chop. It just wasn't designed for the speeds it's seeing in FE form. Odds are if you set it up to keep it pinned down in the straights, it's going to turn like crap. A little weight on the CG can help. It's still a great boat. Just a little sensitive to blow overs if conditions aren't favorable. My son has been racing his for years and has won his fare share of races with it.