PDA

View Full Version : New blackjack 29 owner battery question

Cbspidey
08-12-2014, 08:04 AM
I just purchased a new blackjack 29 I'm not really understanding how the lipo batteries work the boat is rated for 6s out of the box can I run two 4s 5000mah 20c in paralell or should I change it over to series I plan on leaving it stock for now probably upgrade later after I get a few runs to get use to it

ray schrauwen
08-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Could you tell us more about your batts? Brand, weight? A pair of 4S 5000's might be a tad heavy depending on the type they are. They would also need to be wired in Parallel not series. Wired in series gives you 8S1P and will blow up your esc when you try to run it.
The boat esc is wired for series connected 2S packs to start, forget 6S for now since you are just starting out.

If you wanted to run just a single 4Spack it would be physically unblanced being installed in one sponson only and you would need a jumper wire for the stock connectors.

Again, running both your 4S packs with stock wiring gives you 8S so if you want to try them in parallel you need to rewire to esc connections first.

Cbspidey
08-12-2014, 11:32 AM
They are turnigy packs min capacity 5000mah configuration 4s1p/14.8v/4cell constant discharge 20c peak discharge(10sec)30c pack weight 536g pack size 148x49x33mm and I did plan on running two one in each sponson just wasn't sure if I should run one batt or put a parallel adapter in place if I run them in parallel it would just increase my runtime correct? I wouldn't harm the esc or the motor

ray schrauwen
08-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Yes it will increase yoour run time. It may increase motor load too because of the extra weight. You are adding at least an extra pound of weight than the suggested factory reccomendations. Check for heat after 2 minutes running.

ron1950
08-14-2014, 10:54 PM
I have a old geigo with a pb1800kv motor..i race it in the spec offshore and the spec circle races..if the water is rough I need the weight so I run 2 4s 5000 batts in parallel if not so rough I run 2 4s 4000 batteries

ray schrauwen
08-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks Ron, good to know. I've only run a pair of 3000's.

Cbspidey
08-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Ron was your geico wired from factory for series?cause I was thinking about redoing the wiring to just run in parallel so I don't have to make different adapters or should I just make adapters I ran the boat for the first time yesterday and I was pretty happy just didn't think it was that fast I actually ran two 2s batts I'm thinking about trying it in 6s do you think I could run a 4s and 2s or do you think I should just get two3s batteries

royalcasa
08-18-2014, 03:22 PM
I run my BJ on 2 3s 5000 50c venom I get about 11 minutes of run time no problems with heating she runs 50+
Mph.

JensL
08-20-2014, 04:45 PM
@royalcasa 11 minutes? wow..all stock and no connectorchanges? In serial I guess? I run my BJ on 4s. Two Venom 5800mAh 70c and they get up to 113 degrees if I run it +/- 7 min. Feel that's the limit since I'm "putting in" 4000mAh when I charge them again. Voltage is around 3,74 when I check them straight after the run. Is the runtime better on 6s since I don't dare to run my batteries as long as you? Have you checked the "stats" on your lipos after you're done? I'm quite new to boats so I'm not judging or anything. Just curious :thumbup1:

royalcasa
08-23-2014, 11:15 PM
I got the BJ and the batteries sometime in Feb. on the first 5 runs I ran the batteries down to about 3.8. I then began to run till they got to 3.35, I did get 11 minute runs total, but I would stop every 3 to 4 minutes and let every thing cool down (low voltage alarm in the boat) I have multiple boats, I rotate running the boats. I now run the batteries down to 3.8. we run the boats at least 2 times a week.
edit, I check my batteries every time I get done running and when I charge. I have a dual charger, my charger, my batteries and the boats are marked left and right, I alternate my charging and my running, I will charge them and run them on the left, next time I charge and run on the right side and so on. I know, you are probably saying what, my son does. I am just anal about things. but all my batteries are very close to the same voltage.

djviko44
11-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Hello guys!

I recently bought a BJ29 and need some lipos for it...

on proboat's website, they recommend a pair of 3s 80C 5000mAh batteries... but they are quite expensive, i'm checking out the ones that they sell on HK and was wondering what C rating should i get...

The one recommended on proboat's webcite is 80C but it does not say if it has a higher C rate (Burst)...

The ones im looking at are: Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000mAh 3S 60C Lipo Pack (this one has a 120C burst) would this batteries be safe for running my BJ29? or should i get a lower C rated lipos?

thanks a lot

fusion_m8
11-25-2014, 06:11 AM
Are you racing or just running it for fun? From my experience any battery pack from a reputable manufacturer that has at least 40-50c discharge is heaps. There's no need to go for the most expensive and most powerful batteries out there unless you can afford it. Don't worry about your ESC blowing up with high C rating batteries as long as its within the ESC's operating voltage range ie: don't go anything higher than 22.2v for the stock 80A ESC in your BJ29. Good ESCs can regulate and manage excess current pretty well by turning it to heat, that's why ESC cooling is of utmost importance when you're running your boat. Personally I am running Zippy Flightmax 7.4v 6000mah 50-60c packs and they are good enough for anything from casual play to club racing. Buy what you can realistically afford. HobbyKing is the best place to get your RC stuff if you know exactly what you want. Your local hobby store is the place to go if you need advice, product support and need to see and feel stuff when you purchase it. Pros and cons for online vs your local hobby shop.

DID YOU JUST PURCHASE THE BLACKJACK 29 V3????

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=PRB08011

Recommended packs are the Reaction 50c packs, where did you see the 80c packs from?

Hello guys!

I recently bought a BJ29 and need some lipos for it...

on proboat's website, they recommend a pair of 3s 80C 5000mAh batteries... but they are quite expensive, i'm checking out the ones that they sell on HK and was wondering what C rating should i get...

The one recommended on proboat's webcite is 80C but it does not say if it has a higher C rate (Burst)...

The ones im looking at are: Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000mAh 3S 60C Lipo Pack (this one has a 120C burst) would this batteries be safe for running my BJ29? or should i get a lower C rated lipos?

thanks a lot

djviko44
11-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Hello fusion, thanks a lot for the advice!

I bought the V2 (couldn't find the V3 just yet) if you go to proboatmodels.com and get into the BJ29, click the parts & upgrades link, there are two battery packs recommended (one is 2s and the other 3s -80C)

But you are right, im not racing at all, i live in mexico and dont know about any racing rc boat vlubs or anything so i guess i'll go for some cheaper 40-50C 2s or 3s...

The boat comes with EC3 connectors but i couldn't find any lipos that came with it except the expensive reaction ones, do you know if there are good conversion adaptors or should i go on and change the connectors and solder them with other type of connectors?

Thanks a lot

Victor

fusion_m8
11-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi Vic: solder new connectors, adding adapters adds unnecessary resistance in the electrical flow. The more adapters/plugs you use the more likely you are to melt something and cause a fire.

EC3 connectors are easy to find on ebay or similar and there are helpful YouTube videos on how to solder them on.

I cannot stress enough that changing out the standard EC3 connectors to EC5 or 5.5mm bullet connectors are a HUGE step in safety. I had the MissGeico29 with the standard EC3 plugs and they were beginning to melt the plastic housing only after the 5th or 6th run, and that was just on 4S running on less current. I would imagine running 6S on higher current would easily melt those EC3 connectors sooner, such as running on a warm day or during prolonged running.

Those EC3 connectors are the weakest link in the electrical chain.

djviko44
11-25-2014, 07:46 AM
Perfect, thanks a lot

Ill try to find those EC5 or bullet connectors and change my boats EC3s

I just bought my boat from ebay, dont have it with me yet so i still have time to find the best battery/connectors

Thanks a lot for the advice

djviko44
11-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Hi fusiĆ³n!

what would be your opinion? is it better EC5 or deans?

i have another boat (Aquacraft UL-1) and it comes with deans (i already have a pair of GrimRacer 2S 5000mAh 40C batteries with deans) so im probably gonna buy another couple of 2s batteries that i someday could use either on one or the other boat... (i believe my UL-1 with stock motor/esc won't take 3S)

so with that in mind i could have both my boats (and 4 batteries) all with DEANS... do you think is a good idea? or should i change everything to EC5?

fusion_m8
11-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Vic: Deans are not very good for high current applications. The weakness is not the plug itself but the solder joint between the wire and the plug. When it gets too hot the solder melts and disconnects. Leaving your boat stranded in the middle of the water. EC5 plugs can easily tolerate 2-3 times the current of Deans before failing. If you go EC5 the first time on everything I believe it will save you time and money in the long run. It did for me!

djviko44
11-25-2014, 11:20 AM
yeah, thanks fusion! I was Reading on HK that i should change to XT60...

I have a Traxxas EZ-PEAK PLUS charger... I already have the Deans to banana plug connector to charge my current batteries... so i'll try to find also EC5 to banana plug adapter in order to charge my batteries once changed to EC5

so you think EC5 is best, right? once again, thanks a lot for the advice!

fusion_m8
11-25-2014, 05:44 PM
yeah, thanks fusion! I was Reading on HK that i should change to XT60...

I have a Traxxas EZ-PEAK PLUS charger... I already have the Deans to banana plug connector to charge my current batteries... so i'll try to find also EC5 to banana plug adapter in order to charge my batteries once changed to EC5

so you think EC5 is best, right? once again, thanks a lot for the advice!

Genuine XT60 plugs are rated to 65a. EC5 are rated to 120a. Both are rated conservatively. However I think the choice is obvious for me.

djviko44
11-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks, it's clear now... I'll post some pics after i change everything to EC5...

fusion_m8
11-26-2014, 06:02 AM
Here is a great video regarding the weakness of using Deans plugs. Not so much the plug itself but the solder joint. Unless every factory Deans solder is PERFECT, the chances of desoldering the wire during repeated high current applications is very real.

That being said, in this video the Deans solder joint only failed at 300amps+ ...think about that for a moment... how many Li-Po's, ESC and brushless motors can tolerate 300amps+ CONTINUOUS???? The silicon insulation and plastic housings will all melt off first before the actual plug failure!

However we know EC5 plugs to have greater plug to plug surface area for electrical contact than Deans, thus the higher current rating of EC5 plugs compared to Deans and my preference of using EC5 connectors for my RC applications.

For the impatient: skip to 0:30 for the Deans test and 2:28 for the damage assessment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeTTw9i8WEc

ray schrauwen
11-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Here is a great video regarding the weakness of using Deans plugs. Not so much the plug itself but the solder joint. Unless every factory Deans solder is PERFECT, the chances of desoldering the wire during repeated high current applications is very real.

That being said, in this video the Deans solder joint only failed at 300amps+ ...think about that for a moment... how many Li-Po's, ESC and brushless motors can tolerate 300amps+ CONTINUOUS???? The silicon insulation and plastic housings will all melt off first before the actual plug failure!

However we know EC5 plugs to have greater plug to plug surface area for electrical contact than Deans, thus the higher current rating of EC5 plugs compared to Deans and my preference of using EC5 connectors for my RC applications.

For the impatient: skip to 0:30 for the Deans test and 2:28 for the damage assessment.

Deans solder joint lasted only 3 sec. under 300 amp load. That's a short run time.