PDA

View Full Version : Swap shop

Luck as a Constant
08-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Man it's hard not to post in there when you see someone starting crap and arguing over details because they didn't get the deal.

I think going over the rules again is in order.
Anyone care to do so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlandauer
08-10-2014, 05:11 PM
I hear you, man, it's hard not to get involved.
There is one rule that I put before any rules and that is IF I SEE SOMETHING I REALLY WANT AND THE ASKING PROCE IS WITHIN MY BUDGET, I WILL TAKE IT FOR THE ASKING PRICE SO NO CONTROVERSY WILL ARISE AS A RESULT OF HAGGLING BETWEEN BUYERS AND FIANLLY WITH THE SELLER.
Some sellers specify " first to say 'I will take it' gets it"---this somewhat simplifies the matter, this kind of wordings forces potential buyers to think twice before throwing out a low ball counter offer.
Some sellers give the first responder a chance even receiving a " asking price " buyer down the line, but rarely is the case that the phrase " first to say I will take it gets it" was in the sales advertisement.
I WON'T BUY IF I CAN'T AFFORD IT.
LET'S FACE IT, WE ALL KNOW (within a reasonable amount of knowledge) WHAT IS REASONABLE/REALISTIC ASKING PRICE AND WHAT BORDERS REDICULOUS ASKING PRICE. IF IT IS THE LATTER, THEN WE ARE ALL PREPARED TO HAGGLE FROM THE GET-GO.
P.M.s are a no-no before the deals are done, this is clear but conscientious seller would specify in the ad.
I know this is not what you expect in response , but I thought I will just put in my $.02 worth of ideas and experience in this F/S Forum.
Finally, courtesy towards fellow toy boat buyers. :wink:

Luck as a Constant
08-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Ugh

Luck as a Constant
08-10-2014, 05:42 PM
it used to be, if someone showed interest they got first dibs. but of course people had to make that a pita, so then it turned into first person to say ill take it. but if someone says "ill take it" then asks a question.... well that apparently is being unclear... so then that turns into a debate.

Fluid
08-10-2014, 05:54 PM
:rules:

5. The first reply post that shows intent to buy pending more information in the thread (NOT via PM) is first in line to buy the item. ** BUT ** If the sellers item description indicates otherwise, the sellers rule takes precedence.

Luck as a Constant
08-10-2014, 05:57 PM
:rules:

5. The first reply post that shows intent to buy pending more information in the thread (NOT via PM) is first in line to buy the item. ** BUT ** If the sellers item description indicates otherwise, the sellers rule takes precedence.

Yeah I don't know why this is so hard for people to grasp....
I guess it's just because they didn't get the item and they get frustrated

tlandauer
08-10-2014, 06:18 PM
it used to be, if someone showed interest they got first dibs. but of course people had to make that a pita, so then it turned into first person to say ill take it. but if someone says "ill take it" then asks a question.... well that apparently is being unclear... so then that turns into a debate.
Good point, it is a pita, I should clarify my logic in my first response, because of the potential debate ( and that is a polite word), I had to commit before I ask questions---provided they are usually boats I think I must have. Also it helps when the seller is a respected racer and/or builder.
I resort to pull the trigger first then ask questions. Do I like this situation? NO.
On items I have less desire, then I do make counter offers.
But it is what it is.

tlandauer
08-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Ugh

I see why and where I am wrong in my response. What I say is "I will take it at your asking price" If I am the first responder, I forgot to say that.
And,
if I am not, I say" I will take it at your asking price " pending previous guy(s) response.
That is if the seller did not specify "first to say I will take it gets it..."
To the OP, I apologize for the mess, and I should not BS any further, lol...
Man, I should have shut up while I was ahead.:frusty:

Luck as a Constant
08-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Tim I don't think you said anything wrong "shrug"

Luck as a Constant
08-10-2014, 08:12 PM
I think people are just confused about the rules because I see so many unhappy potential buyers who feel they didnt get a fair shot at stuff is all

robinator63
08-10-2014, 09:31 PM
This was a first for me. What is to keep a potential buyer from just editing his post to say "I'll take it" after he realizes you are buying but just came in behind him? The swap shop is cut throat. Not much dignity there.

Doby
08-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Lets see...tons of good sale threads with no issues...very few with issues....

Lets make a problem where none exists...:confused1::glare:

robinator63
08-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Never had issues with the swap shop.. You are right Doby. I apologize for not folding.

Karma...........

obrien
08-10-2014, 10:30 PM
It amazes me how ridiculous this site has become when it comes to buying/selling toy boats. I realize there must be a lot of immature people on here for the mods to creat these rules. I never had any issues before the new list of rules. If I missed an item it was not a big deal. I would find it else where Once I was informed of the new rules I decided not to even deal with the buy/sale forum.

tlandauer
08-11-2014, 01:04 AM
Tim I don't think you said anything wrong "shrug"

Thx, perhaps not.
But,
the message that was conveyed was wrong or at the least misleading. Unless I am the first to respond, I always say give the guy(s) before me time to respond. One time it took the guy a day or two and I had to ask the seller to wait, in the end he raised his counter offer and I didn't get it, but we all made friends in the end.
I guess this is what I have been trying to say all along.

tlandauer
08-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Lets see...tons of good sale threads with no issues...very few with issues.........

I agree, and there is still plenty dignity and maturity here, it is not all child's play, but it is the problematic threads that catch our attention. People are free to choose not to use this F/S Forum, for those of us who continue to use and benefit from this section, it is clear to me personally at least that there can be times for disappointments and frustration.

Luck as a Constant
08-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Lets see...tons of good sale threads with no issues...very few with issues....

Lets make a problem where none exists...:confused1::glare:

Let's condescend to forum members a bit more... That'll help.
I'm not trying to cause problems. Thanks for chiming in.

Doby
08-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Let's condescend to forum members a bit more... That'll help.
I'm not trying to cause problems. Thanks for chiming in.

Practice what you preach.

Luck as a Constant
08-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Practice what you preach.

You too buddy.
Have a good one!

T.S.Davis
08-11-2014, 01:36 PM
As long as we're on the subject..............why do some get so upset if someone endorses a sale item? ugh Guy lists a Thomas build or something and I'm familiar with the boat and I share that information................ and then the mods get a brain hemorrhage from the complaints. I don't understand people.

If I'm interested in purchasing something and somebody knows something about it I would want to hear it. From talking with the mods it sounds like the sale forum is the greatest PITA on the site.

Getting the hottest deal on a used piece of toy boat equipment should not be the very definition of happiness for any of us. Sheesh, grown men with toys. Perspective fellas.

obrien
08-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Couldn't agree more

Doug Smock
08-11-2014, 04:02 PM
From talking with the mods it sounds like the sale forum is the greatest PITA on the site.

Getting the hottest deal on a used piece of toy boat equipment should not be the very definition of happiness for any of us. Sheesh, grown men with toys. Perspective fellas.

Yes sir, and well said.
It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if the administrator pulled the plug on the for sale forum. It is the #1 source of headaches here.
And the mods are always the bad guys!:tongue::smile:

domwilson
08-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Yes sir, and well said.
It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if the administrator pulled the plug on the for sale forum. It is the #1 source of headaches here.
And the mods are always the bad guys!:tongue::smile:

And we get complaints for some things that are not even rule violations.
The rules are in place to keep the swap shop "clean", consistent and on point. It's not fair to a seller if his item keeps getting bumped down the list because some guy posts with minimal info. or a thread where many are chit chatting.
Addressing the comments about for sale items. One reason I can think of is sellers will sometimes enlist their friends to give them an early bump.

Doug Smock
08-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Addressing the comments about for sale items. One reason I can think of is sellers will sometimes enlist their friends to give them an early bump.
We do realize that is not ALWAYS the case, but we have to be consistent or we hear about that too.:wink:

At the end of the day we are all grown men playing with toy boats!:thumbup1:

T.S.Davis
08-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Here in lies my frustration. It's the lack of faith in our fellow man.

I know you guys have received that complaint about me specifically. I'll tell you that I absolutely would not be bumping my buddies threads as favor them.

I've been the guy looking at a post trying to decide if a sale item is crap. "Oh.......I don't know.........it reads okay.......I just don't know". I was doing that on the red board before we were able to post pictures. I had no budget and little equipment. Every purchase was an investment piece. You had to really hunt to find anything out.

I wish someone would have stepped in and said "I know the boat. You won't be sorry".

domwilson
08-11-2014, 07:48 PM
I've seen Items in the swap shop turn into discussion threads. As new items are added, the new items are immediately bumped down to never be seen again.
Most people don't want to read thru a bunch of pages just to see if an item has been sold, as the last post is often not the post that says "Sold"

T.S.Davis
08-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Wouldn't that require multiple threads to be chattered on for them to be bumped into oblivion?

Being at the top of the for sale page won't sell an item.

tlandauer
08-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Perhaps a new Forum " Input on Items being sold", that way no threads would be bumped and anybody who knows the product is free to chime in , the possibility is endless. Another sour point for discussion for years to come, but it solves our present dilemma.

Luck as a Constant
08-11-2014, 10:30 PM
See... This is good. Some open discussion on feelings and ideas on how we can improve/ or get on the same page about swap shop. Hopefully it helps in some small way. I def don't think it's pointless discussion and doesn't appear to be causing problems just to talk freely about it.

Doug Smock
08-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Focus on fixing this and the rest will take care of itself.:wink:

Exactly. Even in this forum you've got to follow rules. I've never been much of a "let's follow the rules" kinda guy. I don't like being told how to act. I am who I am like it or not.
Where would we be if Jim Morrison had complied to Ed Sullivan's demand that he not sing his lyrics? I shudder at the thought. Rules are meant to be broken.

Steven Vaccaro
08-12-2014, 08:47 AM
the easy fix is to ditch the swap shop. Id love to because its the area that needs moderating the most, but that would hurt 98% of the guys selling and buying that are enjoying the area.

So I only have one thing to say, if you dont want to lose your place or miss a item, there are other sites like Ebay where this will not happen. On the flip side, those sites come with other restrictions and costs that people are not happy with. So I guess what Im saying is its impossible to make everyone happy.

Time to move on.

T.S.Davis
08-12-2014, 12:07 PM
haha Fun with math.

I'll bet that it's less than 25 guys that lose their minds if a conversation breaks out in the for sale forum. I would guess it's probably less. But still there are those "Oh no my item is second on the list. Ohhh....now it will never sell" guys out there.

25 guys are .18% of the members of this forum. So then the other 99.82% aren't really that concerned about it.

If your life depends on the for sale forum you may want to reconsider your priorities. A personal grip may be in order even.

Again......perspective guys. Grown men......toy boats........for the fun if it. Remember?

Doby
08-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Which brings me to my original comment on this thread...

Lets not make a problem where no really exists.