PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber

NorthernBoater
04-05-2007, 12:06 AM
There have been some photos on here where people have had carbon fiber in the bottom of the boats. I understand that it makes the boat stronger but I was wondering if there were any other uses for it. What purpose does this serve and where can it be bought.

SJFE
04-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I use it for everything. The only down side is the toxic propertys of the dust, smoke and the cost.

Fluid
04-05-2007, 09:16 PM
While some believe that carbon fiber makes a boat "stronger", what it really does is stiffen the surface it is laminated to. Carbon fiber is brittle and pure carbon hulls are not very durable if they hit a solid object. They are usually made with either glass and/or Kevlar cloth to add resistance to breakage. Still, carbon/Kevlar boats are known to become "a bag of boat parts" when hitting solid objects....the carbon fractures into small pieces and the Kevlar keeps it all together.

I use 4" carbon fiber tape as a stiffener in many boats, although carbon fiber kite booms offer more stiffness for less weight. Carbon fiber does add a certain high-tech flavor that many guys like. I purchase mine at http://www.acp-composites.com/

SJFE
04-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Oh you have no idea how much I will enjoy that link:D Thank you:)

Stealth Assassin
04-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Oh you have no idea how much I will enjoy that link:D Thank you:)

I have been posting that link everywhere I go for about a year now. Matterof fact I posted It here In the thread about foam. They are a killer company and sell retail!!! A+

Steven Vaccaro
08-17-2007, 07:25 AM
I have been posting that link everywhere I go for about a year now. Matterof fact I posted It here In the thread about foam. They are a killer company and sell retail!!! A+

Seems like I need to add that link, to the links page.

Jay which material thickness do you recommend?

steveo
08-17-2007, 06:49 PM
i have not tried yet but dragonplate,com has some very nice stuff, but do not doubt what wood can do and cheap, of course it all depends your using it for

Team A-Hull
09-23-2007, 03:16 AM
That carbon fiber tape, is that the same carbon fiber I see on new boat hulls? The adhesive on that tape bonds well? What about some of the woven carbon
fiberglass reinforcements? I just want something with a clean instalation and a clean look!

Thanks