PDA

View Full Version : *** New SeaKing 180 V3 Testing... Could use set up advice

msundsd5
07-16-2014, 10:08 PM
OKAY OKAY OKAY , what we have all been waiting for...... Testing of the New SeaKing 180esc V3. I grabbed a BlackJack 29 for testing purposes to see how this baby does.

Set up: BlackJack29, Tacon 4074 2200KV Motor, New SeaKing 180esc V3, M545 Prop, 4s set up 65C 5000mah ( Batteries were 80% Charged )

If you have suggestion on improving this particular boat in the water please share, however, realize this boat was just sitting on the shelf, I grabbed the new esc's for testing and went to the lake so don't be so hard on me fellas .... LOL...... Also need some prop advice, do you think I should go up based on what you see?

Painting the Picture: I made 8 full throttle passes, top speed 54mph, about 85 degrees here and humid, I had to hold the phone with my chin so the 1st several passes were shot with the camera facing the ground.... LOL..... however I was able to get a few passes on camera and at the end of the video I show the temps of all the electronics, you be the judge and let me know what you think!

Just posted..... she's live........ I look forward to touching base with your contact and exchanging info. I appreciate you reaching out...... stay in touch!

http://youtu.be/P8S0xHbjJX8 ( NEW CLEANER VIDEO THAN THE FIRST )

kfxguy
07-16-2014, 10:21 PM
The esc is hotter than I like my esc to be. When the lvc kicked in, what did it do? Just die or slow down.

msundsd5
07-16-2014, 10:59 PM
When LVC cut in it brought it to like 50% power....... it was smooth too. Unlike the old SeaKing and Turnigy 180's I didn't have to cut the function off to run the esc so that is an improvement in itself. I'm sure if I put some focus on the set up I could run the esc cooler. Remember, this boat was sitting around with just a motor and receiver in it, I just through a prop on it and the esc for testing.

kfxguy
07-16-2014, 11:40 PM
I think an x642 prop would work better. Lower your temps and likely go just as fast. That's what I've found on low power, low voltage setups anyway. I picked up 1 mph going from a x642 to a m645 at the expense of other things. (Temps, battery times, extra load, boat handling funny) my geico went faster with an x642 vs this m645 also....but my rivercat picked up. More power. Bigger boat.

msundsd5
07-17-2014, 12:00 AM
I have a X642 detonged, so I think I will try that next time out this weekend...... Looking to try an X447, M445, X646, and a X448

Spartanator
07-17-2014, 12:38 AM
Good to know since I have not opened mine yet... Does it look like there can be another cooling inlet/outlet added?

kfxguy
07-17-2014, 01:03 AM
I have a X642 detonged, so I think I will try that next time out this weekend...... Looking to try an X447, M445, X646, and a X448

Evidently you haven't been acquainted with prop walk yet. Let me know how those bigger props work out for you lol. That hull prefers a smaller prop. You'll likely burn the esc up with that high kv motor and the bigger props. High kv, low voltage and huge prop on a small hull doesn't usually mix well.

urbs00007
07-17-2014, 04:29 AM
what speed controller did you run in the boat previously? did it run 130 degrees?

tlandauer
07-17-2014, 06:10 AM
The esc is hotter than I like my esc to be. When the lvc kicked in, what did it do? Just die or slow down.
My MG had a Leopard 4082/2200kv with a x642, SK 180V2, temp never went beyond 113F, GPS´s at 53.3mph. Thunder Tiger 5000mah 65c 2x2s ( I have not started to run 4s2p at that time yet) I have been using m545 in lure of m445 on many other applications, the temp is not that different from a M445.
How many minutes until LVC kicked in?

iridebikes247
07-17-2014, 08:49 AM
its waterproofed so it probably has that same stuff covering in the swordfish escs have. really stupid imo, and definitely leads to heat build up. Been meaning to pull the silicone off and do temp testing with and without it.

I imagine this esc will be great once the bugs are worked out just hopefully we don't have to make modifications to a newer much more expensive esc, for it to perform like the old. Pretty cool you did this video for us though, i know i've been wondering about this thing lol

rickwess
07-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Looks like you almost wiped out a duck at the 14 second mark. I'm trying to figure out if you saw it when you backed off the throttle a little but decided to gun it away.

msundsd5
07-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the post fellas: :sinking-guy: :thumbsdown:

@kfxguy ............ Actually with this same boat ( had a different paint job ) I ran 59 MPH 6 months ago with an X448 prop on 6s so the larger prop has had no negative impacts thus far, I changed it because it's summer and its warmer but the large prop set up was awesome in the Fall and Winter. As far as heat, the highest temp I had with the larger props were 145 degrees on the esc and the motor was about 130 with batteries in the 115 - 125 range after about 7-8 high speed passes, never blew one of them up. The set up is really for drag racing , making about 6-9 passes.

@urbs00007 ..........Previously I ran Seaking 180V2 and Turnigy 180 in this boat and the temps ran just about the same give or take a couple degrees, with this boat and on some of my others , they are set up to make 8-9 passes over a 4 -7 minute timeframe because we drag race them in different classes with the guys I run with.

@ tlandauer ......... Your set up looks similar, I'm going to see what the X642 does this weekend and let you know. In regards to the low voltage cutoff, I ran a good 4 minutes starting with a battery that was only 80% charged making circles and full speed passes before it came in. I was really excited about it cause one of my main concerns was that I would have to cut it off like the older versions because they would kick in super early, but I didn't have to, ran it stock out the box and got all that run time on the set up with a boat right off the shelf so I would say it was a successful test. I really like the fact it has LED's to blink RED when low voltage cutoff kicks in so you know EXACTLY what has happened and it also has a LED blink ( I believe green, would have to read again ) for THERMAL shutdown to protect from burning up the esc so I'm liking what I see so far from the new version!

@iridebikes247 ........... Yes sir, this video was for the OSE Fam eager to see the esc in action, so I just grabbed a hull that was sitting around, through that bad boy in there and headed to the lake. I know many have been asking and just wanted to give the people what they wanted, that's how we all learn and "get into the know" together. Good Stuff!

@rickwess ....... What had happen wassssssssss when I originally road that way I didn't see a duck there, then when I started getting into the throttle I noticed it and let off the throttle coasting until I was clear to get back on it with out putting the poor duck in danger. Definitely don't want PETA thinking I'm trying to harm the ducks, I LOVE DUCKS!!!!

This is some good dialogue........ I'm going to play with it a little more this weekend, might put it in another boat and see what it does, change some props, etc. I'll let you all know how it goes. In the meantime , keep sharing your knowledge and thoughts...... Seaking 180 V3 might be on to something special!!!

olwarbirds
07-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Tks for info...sure hope Hobbywing does a higher Voltage soon...we need something to replace the black hole the loss of castle marine esc's has created. Looking forward to more ..... DJ

Livewire121
07-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Tks for info...sure hope Hobbywing does a higher Voltage soon...we need something to replace the black hole the loss of castle marine esc's has created. Looking forward to more ..... DJ

Those ecs's are already available such as MGM Compro, Modellbau-Regler, YGE, and Etti to name a few. IMO castle esc's weren't that great to begin with, I've seen two blow up on the bench, die from getting wet, and die due to vibration. The last one died while trying to retrieve the logged data.
:flashfire:

ray schrauwen
07-17-2014, 10:11 PM
They do, it's just a 130/180 amp esc. The V3 has a higher Burst rate, 720Amps.

olwarbirds
07-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Burst rates 720 on 120 over 1000 on 180...they dont offer a HV or higher continous amp, talking about Hobbywing who makes the seaking 120/180, they do not make the seaking 130 HV which has issues....MGM 600$ and up... Etti :flashfire: ... SF hit and miss ... have not tried YGM or modellbau yet ...I have seen others have probs with castles normally due to misuse or lack of capbank. Guess I been lucky. It would be nice to have one good lineup using same programmer for all our needs. I really like the logging feature....DJ

ray schrauwen
07-18-2014, 10:50 AM
I agree...

Burst rates 720 on 120 over 1000 on 180...they dont offer a HV or higher continous amp, talking about Hobbywing who makes the seaking 120/180, they do not make the seaking 130 HV which has issues....MGM 600$ and up... Etti :flashfire: ... SF hit and miss ... have not tried YGM or modellbau yet ...I have seen others have probs with castles normally due to misuse or lack of capbank. Guess I been lucky. It would be nice to have one good lineup using same programmer for all our needs. I really like the logging feature....DJ

kfxguy
07-18-2014, 11:48 AM
we should all email hobby wing and make a request for a 240 plus amp version of the seaking 180. maybe they will listen...maybe they wont.

shartinspartin
07-18-2014, 01:57 PM
we should all email hobby wing and make a request for a 240 plus amp version of the seaking 180. maybe they will listen...maybe they wont.

Thats not a bad idea

kfxguy
07-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Thats not a bad idea

I just sent hobbywing this email because I'm being serious

"I'd like to request a much needed product. Your seaking 180 esc's have been highly successful in the boating hobby. It has a very good reputation for holding up much better than most other esc's. What my request is for you to offer an even higher, heavy duty esc based off of the SeaKing 180. Maybe somewhere in the 240-250 amp range with a high burst capacity. This would fill a much needed gap in the fast electric boating market. I can assure you that if it turned out as good as the sea king 180 and wasn't extremely high priced ($200-$250 price point seems fair) it would sell like hot cakes. Thanks for your time and hopefully consideration!

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Rocstar
07-18-2014, 02:29 PM
I just sent hobbywing this email because I'm being serious

"I'd like to request a much needed product. Your seaking 180 esc's have been highly successful in the boating hobby. It has a very good reputation for holding up much better than most other esc's. What my request is for you to offer an even higher, heavy duty esc based off of the SeaKing 180. Maybe somewhere in the 240-250 amp range with a high burst capacity. This would fill a much needed gap in the fast electric boating market. I can assure you that if it turned out as good as the sea king 180 and wasn't extremely high priced ($200-$250 price point seems fair) it would sell like hot cakes. Thanks for your time and hopefully consideration!

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Hopefully, "Hot Cakes" doesn't get lost in translation.....:tongue_smilie:

kfxguy
07-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Hopefully, "Hot Cakes" doesn't get lost in translation.....:tongue_smilie:

LMAO its funny you say that because i had considered they may not have a clue what that means hahaha

ron1950
07-18-2014, 02:37 PM

they will just slap a 240 sticker on a 180 and charge more lol

kfxguy
07-18-2014, 02:55 PM
they will just slap a 240 sticker on a 180 and charge more lol

and then they will have lots of unhappy customers trying to push it! lol

Spartanator
07-18-2014, 03:13 PM

That's what I told my "Contact" over at HobbyWing North America but nothing happened...

kfxguy
07-18-2014, 03:16 PM
That's what I told my "Contact" over at HobbyWing North America but nothing happened...

maybe if everyone who reads this sends an email to sales@hobbywing.com and says something similar

Spartanator
07-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Here is some pics for now:
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w542/tkeytkey/RC/Seaking%20180V3/IMG_0440_zps084d34d0.jpg
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w542/tkeytkey/RC/Seaking%20180V3/IMG_0442_zps84ac0dd3.jpg
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w542/tkeytkey/RC/Seaking%20180V3/IMG_0441_zpse6118cd6.jpg

tlandauer
07-18-2014, 06:29 PM
What is the bulge in the power lines? Cap pack or spark eliminator?
Now that I can see the cap side, my hope for adding an extra pair of water nipples is dashed. I had hoped to add another pair on either end of the extra heat sink openings and then loop one more round of silicone tube to increase water flow.
May I ask what does the three pins do? It´s obvious but my brain is shutting down...

kfxguy
07-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Now that I can see the cap side, my hope for adding an extra pair of water nipples is dashed. I had hoped to add another pair on either end of the extra heat sink openings and then loop one more round of silicone tube to increase water flow.
May I ask what does the three pins do? It´s obvious but my brain is shutting down...

The pins are for connecting a Male to male (ummm) cable to it for programming

tlandauer
07-18-2014, 06:46 PM
the pins are for connecting a male to male (ummm) cable to it for programming
thank you sir!
On second thought, how can a male to male pin mate??? Am I missing something? Yes, I know what I am missing, but just electrically speaking... uh, you know what I mean...

ray schrauwen
07-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Actually a Lesbian connector is required... Yeah, I said it.

ray schrauwen
07-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Yes the bulge is a bank of caps (2). You can tell by the insulation that is removed from the main wires, I see a divett under the shrink wrap where they did the soldering. I still need better glasses...

Might just be one big cap...

tlandauer
07-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Now you are talking! :lol: I don´t care about their orientation so long as there are females involved, :w00t: understood.... :thumbup1:

Yes the bulge is a bank of caps (2). You can tell by the insulation that is removed from the main wires, I see a divett under the shrink wrap where they did the soldering. I still need better glasses...
Might just be one big cap...

Again, thank you for the enlightenment!

Spartanator
07-18-2014, 07:58 PM

Now that's a good one! lol

yes it has a total of 4 caps (I think)... Also came with an extra wire to setup for series! I wonder if this works with the program card, at least after you get the funky connector... Now for an ESC with 1,080 Burst it is surprising that there are 4 caps and one water flow... A Castle Cap pack will be on mine along with a BEC. I have a program card but still need the funky cable. I am getting ready to out on the real boat to go look at Kemah Fireworks in a few hours... What a pain to get out there with a bunch of wackos! If it was somewhat daylight I could bring some toy boats! lol

Back to the ESC, here are come wires from a US seller: EBAY (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-10PCS-10cm-Quadcopter-Servo-Extension-Lead-Futaba-JR-Male-to-Male-Wire-Cable-/201125085964?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed3fd430c)

As soon as I get some $ I will send my stuff to kfxgfuy so I can get my Rivercat in the water! Very excited!!!! Somehow I decided to have an entire boat built around a ESC... lol

msundsd5
07-18-2014, 08:25 PM
The great thing about the SeaKing 180 V3 is that you program it with the programming pins on the outside of it. This is great for those of us who use balloons or other waterproofing methods for our receivers that are a pain to put on and take off, this programming options allows for you to never have to mess with the receiver once placed and settled in the boat. It works well too, I bought a 6 inch long male to male plug , plugged one side in the program box and the other side to the ESC and Wallaaaaaa, easy as 1 , 2, 3. I know this esc has a great reputation to live up to and is young in it's existence but I must say fellas, for the money, what I see is exciting and it seems to perform just as well if not better then the last one. It's smaller more compact too so it doesn't take up as much space in your boat. They seemed to put a lot of thought into this new version and I appreciate that! Only time will tell if it can stand up to the punishment and rigger of the boating world but it definitely is earning it's respect. Here's a picture of how it looks when programming.

kfxguy
07-18-2014, 08:33 PM
thank you sir!
On second thought, how can a male to male pin mate??? Am I missing something? Yes, I know what I am missing, but just electrically speaking... uh, you know what I mean...

Whoops. The plugs are actually female to female. Better.

Spartanator
07-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Whoops. The plugs are actually female to female. Better.

Much better.

Spartanator
07-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Well I emailed on the hopes of a stronger ESC....
EDIT:
Ok, folks! I have passed this thread (along with another) to the North American Hobbywing team. If you would like to get an ESC this is where I get mine, my guy on that team does seem to like the idea of 240amp-ish ESC.

http://www.falconsekido.com/collections/seaking-v3-esc-for-boat

Peter A
07-20-2014, 06:08 PM
One question, will it be possible to remove the heatsink and replace it with a better (custom?) one? Or is it all sealed together? I take it that the old 180 program card works fine on these.

kfxguy
07-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Well I emailed on the hopes of a stronger ESC....
EDIT:
Ok, folks! I have passed this thread (along with another) to the North American Hobbywing team. If you would like to get an ESC this is where I get mine, my guy on that team does seem to like the idea of 240amp-ish ESC.

http://www.falconsekido.com/collections/seaking-v3-esc-for-boat

That would be great if they did. If they made a 240 as good as the 180, they would dominate sales in the marine esc market. Add a data logging version....omg

kfxguy
07-20-2014, 06:21 PM
One question, will it be possible to remove the heatsink and replace it with a better (custom?) one? Or is it all sealed together? I take it that the old 180 program card works fine on these.

The guy in the post above you is sending me his esc and I'll look at it a see if a custom higher capacity cooling block can be made. From what he tell me by looking at it, it seems possible. I just finished a very nice one for one of my v2 seaking 180's

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/20140719_225621.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/20140719_225621.jpg.html)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/20140719_232001.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/20140719_232001.jpg.html)

Here's the link to the thread if you wanna check it out more. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?47648-my-ultimate-seaking-180-cooling-block/page2

msundsd5
07-21-2014, 12:07 AM
New SeaKing 180V3 Testing Video Coming in the next couple days!!!

Spartanator
07-21-2014, 08:41 PM
New SeaKing 180V3 Testing Video Coming in the next couple days!!!

And I am steadily waiting for it! Thanks you for taking the time to film/post them. Hopefully we can do what we talked about with it!

shartinspartin
07-21-2014, 08:55 PM
now is this version really waterproof? Or is it version 2 waterproof, which isnt waterproof really??
Will this esc work completely submerged?

Spartanator
07-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Not sure yet. Haven't had a chance to dunk mine! lol. About another 2 weeks and I may get to use mine. It will be in kfxguy's hands for a little bit.

msundsd5
07-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Well, Drag racing mine was submerged when another racer got out of his line a little and crashed into the boat in the video used for testing, took on water. Threw it in another boat less than a day later... Performed Flawlessly!!! Here's the new video link..... I changed the link at the top of the thread to reflect this one as well as the old video has been deleted!

http://youtu.be/P8S0xHbjJX8 ( NEW CLEANER VIDEO THAN THE FIRST )

twissted
08-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Kinntecracing has them but OSE is out, must be doing well in sells!

twissted
08-22-2014, 04:56 PM
I have a V2 that needs to be replaced. Will it work with the V2 I have on my bout currently?

electric
08-23-2014, 09:13 AM
thank you sir!

That "bulge" you commented on are additional inline capacitors. I have one of these, can't wait to try it out. I kinda Love/hate this new concept they have of a separate male connector on the esc itself to do your programing. The thing I love of course is it is separate than the connector to your receiver, the thing I do not like is you need s female/female plug to use the programmer now with the esc. Not a big deal, but just "different". I had to butcher some old wires to make a female to female adapter in the shop last week to program it.

IRON-PAWW
08-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Bring on the 240v version. It is much needed in the current expensive or issue-filled market. I'll buy 10!

twissted
08-24-2014, 12:48 PM
http://www.fliermodel.com/en/products.asp?bigclass=81

urbs00007
08-28-2014, 05:24 AM
http://www.fliermodel.com/en/products.asp?bigclass=81 unless these esc's have been upgraded and tested over the last 3 years, you might as well throw your hard-earned cash out your car window.

jkr
08-28-2014, 06:36 PM
A different option and not a copy or rebranded.

http://www.graupner.de/en/products/fe157a63-1203-43c8-866d-64197ac67366/7263/product.aspx

LV 250A

tjcast
08-29-2014, 12:53 AM
FYI for those of you that have "dead" ECSs laying around just cut off the receiver lead from 2 of them and solder the wires together and use that for your programing box lead. Ran one of these in my P-Limited Pursuit that had a v2 in it before and saw no difference between the two. Configuration as far as cooling is concerned and the size is smaller on v3.Looking forward to seeing if there is any difference in performance in race conditions.

I would like to see them incorporate data logging on these, just saying...

jkr
08-29-2014, 05:40 PM
Nope.
They don't have plans to make a bigger esc neither data log.
But who knows what the future wil bring......

twissted
08-29-2014, 06:35 PM
So that will run 2 motors for about $225.00 USD. I wonder how they hold up to big power that 79c-140c lipos will dump?

Rumdog
08-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Lipos aren't dumping power. The loaded motor is drawing power from them.

Luck as a Constant
08-29-2014, 07:02 PM
he doesn't understand that yet rum. not sure he ever will....

twissted
08-29-2014, 07:50 PM
OHMS law? Or the fact that the motor draws power from the battery using a speed control? Please help me here! Your so smart. If the motor draws motor than what the esc can handle then it won't let the lipos dump what the demands of the motor are capable of kind of like eating soft ice cream through a straw.

Rumdog
08-29-2014, 08:25 PM
So, you agree that your previous question made no sense, right?

rearwheelin
08-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Yeah just think of how a air compressor works . The bigger tanks don't require the compressor to run as hard and the tool stays running more effectively . So basically the lipo being the tank, compressors being the esc and the tool being the motor. If the tool uses more air that what the tank has compressed than your compressor works overtime..... Dam straight big tank is good for the tool ! :stupid:

twissted
08-30-2014, 12:29 AM
It was said with out much thought. I should have worded it better. My bad.