PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

Spot Me 2
08-18-2008, 11:31 AM
I ran my stock BJ for the first time this weekend. The first run was on Venom 5000 6 cell packs. After 1 full throttle blast, the boat would die if I gave it full throttle again. I could only give it 3/4 throttle or it would shut down.:confused2:

The second run I ran 2 4500 7 cell packs. Same problem. If I gave it more than 3/4 throttle it would shut down. If I released the throttle back to neutral, and started agian, It would work, but only at less than full throttle, or it would shut down again.:confused2: :confused2:

Whats the problem???????:help: The packs were peak charged on my triton. I got great run time, at part throttle, until the packs went dead. I need your help!!!! Thanks!

rockwerks
08-18-2008, 11:59 AM
sounds like your radio epas need to be adjusted or the esc is overheating

Spot Me 2
08-18-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm running the stock radio. The esc will over heat in 1 75ft run?

rockwerks
08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm running the stock radio. The esc will over heat in 1 75ft run?

maybe if the cooling system is not working. see if the lines are blocked

Jesse J
08-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Did you program your ESC? ESC is overheating due to partial throttle. Either program your ESC for your batteries and voltages and/or make sure your radio is tuned. Just because it is stock doesn't mean it is set right...

Spot Me 2
08-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Jesse, good point. I do have the programming card. I will program the esc and try again. I made some 9 cell 5000 packs, but I want to get it working correctly before I use them.

Spot Me 2
08-18-2008, 12:51 PM
maybe if the cooling system is not working. see if the lines are blocked

The cooling system is working fine. I don't think it's an overheating issue.

oldshovelhead
08-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Go over the instructions from the boat and the programming card.
Although the manuals that come from Proboat are limited, it does detail what's happening.
The low voltage cutoff is kicking in.
Be careful changing the low voltage cutoff to the lower setting though, it WILL cause your NiMH packs to get very hot.

rockwerks
08-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Go over the instructions from the boat and the programming card.
Although the manuals that come from Proboat are limited, it does detail what's happening.
The low voltage cutoff is kicking in.
Be careful changing the low voltage cutoff to the lower setting though, it WILL cause your NiMH packs to get very hot.

???? The low voltage cut off only needs to be used for Lipo type batteries, I have always just turned off the low voltage settings for nihm without any issue for the last 5 or 6 years

Jesse J
08-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I bet your nimh packs are getting hot because of unbalanced cells, draining them down is usually a good idea (unlike lipos). I agree, turn off LVC for nimhs.

oldshovelhead
08-18-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm referring to the voltage cutoff not the battery type.
http://www.proboatmodels.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB3311_Programming_Module.pdf

Since Spot Me 2 is running NiMH I presume the esc is programmed to NiMH cells. YOU CAN use either high or low cutoff.
The NiMH will get hot for various reasons - all of which are why I'm running a123 cells in my FASTech.

I dont read anything in the manual that indicates you cannot change the voltage cutoff irrespective of cell type.

Spot Me 2
08-22-2008, 06:15 PM
I ran it again after programming the ECS. All is well now!! These things fly!

The Madhatter
09-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey all my name is Mike. I'm new here, I just got a used BJ26 off of a friend of mine. Mine is doing the same thing Spots boat was doing. So in lieu of starting another thread I thought I might ask in here. Where can I get one of these programmers Y'all are talking about? Are they expensive and what is the part #? Please:help: b4 my brain and blood pressure go:flashfire: thank you

Rex R
09-22-2008, 03:00 AM
Mike:
ose has them in stock, http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-prb3311&cat=75 hth
rex

The Madhatter
09-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Ok I got my programmer ordered today, should have it thursday. Thanks for the quick reply Rex. One other question I have is: what settings do you all recomend for a newb like myself? The boat is 100% stock and for now I'll be running two 3000 mah nimh venom packs. I sure hope this fixes this thing cause its gettin awefull agrevating. thanks in advance y'all

Rex R
09-23-2008, 03:18 AM
I do not own a bj esc so I don't have any personal experience w/ programing it, however I did find this; http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=2716 hth
rex

Spot Me 2
09-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Madhatter. It could also be that one or both of your batts is bad. I have 2 matched 7 cell packs that work fine in anything else, but will not work in the blackjack or my fastech.

The Madhatter
09-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey Spot thanks for the heads up on the batts. I received my programmer from OSE in the mail yesterday so I'm gettin ready to haed to the pond in a bit. I'll makke sure to charge both sets of my batts and takke em with me.