PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof servos

mtgoat
08-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Traxxas makes a line of waterproof servos. Why have none of the other manufacturers thought of this before?:confused1: Steve, is there any possibility of carrying these?

Eyekandyboats
08-18-2008, 08:34 AM
traxxas?
there are a couple water proof servos.
but mainly not main stream because servos are very eazy to water proof.
its a box .... just tool dip or cover it in epoxy.
simple and much better then traxxas servos. especially when you can use your own futaba or JR servo

ghostofpf1
08-18-2008, 01:08 PM
traxxas?
there are a couple water proof servos.
but mainly not main stream because servos are very eazy to water proof.
its a box .... just tool dip or cover it in epoxy.
simple and much better then traxxas servos. especially when you can use your own futaba or JR servo

I've used plasti-dip on servos before but if they get a good dunking the water can enter where the output gear exits the case.I've used grease there in the past with varying degrees of success ...

Ghost

JimClark
08-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Even easier just coat the electronics in corrosion x

Eyekandyboats
08-18-2008, 05:27 PM
if you have issues with water going into the grear box....
make it into a stuffing box. pack that thing with grease..

Dr. Jet
08-18-2008, 05:33 PM
I use the Hitec HS-77BB in all my larger boats (large for me is 4S) because they are waterproof, low profile, and have plenty of torque. For the small stuff I use cheap Chinese servos at less than $10 each. If they get damaged by water, it's not a big deal.

Steven Vaccaro
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
When Mr. Jet pointed me the the 77bb a while back I bought some and they are great. I have been selling them for a while

SweetAccord
09-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Yes I just got one of these analog servos.

They are so far the cheapest ($25.99), lightest 1.23oz (most are 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 oz). Standard size profile to fit standard servo locations (Dimensions: 44x23x25mm / 1.7x0.9x1.0"), very high torque 61.1 oz-in @4.8V, 76.3 oz-in @6.0V), ball bearing, high speed (Speed: .18sec/60° @4.8V .14sec/60° @6.0V, analog servo you can get with Universal Futaba J, Hitec S, JR and Airtronics Z Connector. Great light, powerful, waterproof servo to replace for the standard one that comes with the SuperVee.

The Hobbico CS-59 Servo Lo Profile Aileron BB U is the next best one but is only about a dollar in price difference, and for that I rather have a Hitec one.

Great alternative from the Futaba S9550 Servo Digital Low-Profile or the newer Futaba S9551 Low Profile Digital High Speed/Torq Servo that are $80.00!

mtgoat
09-23-2008, 07:19 PM
I did end up using one of these Traxxas waterproof servos and can now report that they are, in fact, waterproof.
This weekend I accidentally slid the cooling jacket off the end of my motor as I was connecting the batteries.
Thank goodness for styrofoam.
Although the boat was as full of water as it could be when I brought it back to shore, there wasn't the slightest amount of moisture in the servo when I opened it up.
The only disappointing thing about the servo is that it comes with no hardware at all. Not even a servo horn or screw.