PDA

View Full Version : painting question

MARKBRENNAN
07-07-2014, 08:55 PM
I just painted my bby scat and the paint came ou rough and dry. Can you guys tell me what i did wrong.

srislash
07-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Temperature, humidity. These are big players. Possibly old paint? Clear over it when conditions improve.

MARKBRENNAN
07-08-2014, 07:34 AM
Temperature, humidity. These are big players. Possibly old paint? Clear over it when conditions improve.

Could i sand this back down then repaint it again.

egneg
07-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Yes

srislash
07-08-2014, 08:09 AM
I would wetsand and repaint. No need to sand it all off.

MARKBRENNAN
07-08-2014, 08:48 AM
I would wetsand and repaint. No need to sand it all off.

What's a good tempsure to paint this

revoltrunner
07-08-2014, 09:56 AM
also if your to far away from the surface your painting
with the spray gun/spray can you can get a dry rough coat.

srislash
07-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Somewhere's between 15-25 degrees Celsius.

MARKBRENNAN
07-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Somewhere's between 15-25 degrees Celsius.

When you wetsand does the paint get smooth or does it fade.

srislash
07-09-2014, 01:29 AM
It just smoothes it. The paint remains the 'paint color' till it gets thin. The sanding will give the next coat something to bond to. Start with 320, then 400, and could go to 600 depending on the paint and whether it shows the scratches from the 400.

MARKBRENNAN
07-14-2014, 08:37 PM
It just smoothes it. The paint remains the 'paint color' till it gets thin. The sanding will give the next coat something to bond to. Start with 320, then 400, and could go to 600 depending on the paint and whether it shows the scratches from the 400.

do i need to wipe off after i wetsand.

srislash
07-15-2014, 01:35 AM
do i need to wipe off after i wetsand.

Yes, I wipe and rinse well. And often.

rdcracer
01-09-2015, 09:27 PM
What were you painting with? If it is a gun it could be the mix of reducer airflow ect. If can I find if I sit the can in a tub of sink of hot water for awhile before I paint it flows better.

RCBoaterGuy
01-12-2015, 11:55 PM
...I find if I sit the can in a tub of sink of hot water for awhile before I paint it flows better...

I do that with rattle cans, really makes a difference.

What were you painting with? If it is a gun it could be the mix of reducer airflow ect. If can I find if I sit the can in a tub of sink of hot water for awhile before I paint it flows better.

rdcracer
01-13-2015, 12:39 AM
...I find if I sit the can in a tub of sink of hot water for awhile before I paint it flows better...

I do that with rattle cans, really makes a difference.

I didnt make that clear but I meant Rattle cans. I purchased an inexpensive compressor and cheap paint gun at Harbor Freight and I paint most of my stuff that way. I have an automotive paint supply nearby and you can pick and choose almost any color. They will mix 1/2 pint for me and most colors are about 10-12 dollars which goes a long way. Paint comes out much better than rattle cans and the clear coat is awesome.

RCBoaterGuy
01-13-2015, 01:15 AM
I live in an apartment, so the compressor / paint gun method isn't an option for me. Wish it was, like you said the paint jobs would be far better.

I didnt make that clear but I meant Rattle cans. I purchased an inexpensive compressor and cheap paint gun at Harbor Freight and I paint most of my stuff that way. I have an automotive paint supply nearby and you can pick and choose almost any color. They will mix 1/2 pint for me and most colors are about 10-12 dollars which goes a long way. Paint comes out much better than rattle cans and the clear coat is awesome.

rdcracer
01-13-2015, 09:23 AM
I live in an apartment, so the compressor / paint gun method isn't an option for me. Wish it was, like you said the paint jobs would be far better.

Ive seen alot of the guys at the club use cans and get really good results. I like having the choice of colors. Where do you paint in the apartment?

rdcracer
01-13-2015, 09:31 AM
Here is the last one I did. It was a Blackjack 29 that I destroyed the hatch. I decided if I was going to have to repaint the hatch I might as well blueprint the hull and repaint everything. You can also buy a real small compressor and an airbrush or small detail gun also. You can spray a base coat with can and detail other colors with the airbrush and even do it with water based airbrush paints. The mono in the picture was done that way. The green is the gelcoat color everything else is waterbase and then cleared over. No smell in the appartment.126681126682rdcracer@verizon.net126683

RCBoaterGuy
01-13-2015, 04:31 PM
Have to go outside - not easy this time of year - only 52-degrees right now.

Bought a new computer monitor couple years ago. It was suspended in a pair of styrofoam blocks - that black closed cell stuff with the shiny finish.

Anyway, for smaller items that can be laid / set down to do one side @ a time I put the blocks on the sidewalk, cut open a frozen pizza box (cereal boxes too) & lay it/them on top. Keep plenty of cut open boxes in the closet.

That raises the item off the ground by about 8-1/2-inches; which prevents the pressure of the paint coming out from kicking up dust & over spray off the sidewalk.

Depending on what I'm working on, sometimes I tape a piece of wax paper to the cardboard to keep the item being painted from sticking to it.

Hope that all made sense.

Ive seen alot of the guys at the club use cans and get really good results. I like having the choice of colors. Where do you paint in the apartment?

JMSCARD
01-13-2015, 05:48 PM
RDCracer which setup gun/compressor did you buy at harbor freight? I have an old gun that has been ticking me off lately... I have a harbor freight literally a stone throw from my work.

Chilli
01-13-2015, 08:13 PM
Jason, HF sells a cheapo 4 ounce detail gun that has pretty good reviews. And it's less than $15.

JMSCARD
01-13-2015, 08:41 PM
Jason, HF sells a cheapo 4 ounce detail gun that has pretty good reviews. And it's less than $15.

Right on, I was just looking at it 15 mins ago... Which compressor should I get? I've been using a big gun with a bi compressor in my garage for years and been wanting and thinking of getting something better... Ive been wasting paint for years lol...

RCBoaterGuy
01-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Mike, how bout one of these setups??... http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp-58-psi-compressor-and-airbrush-kit-95630.html

rdcracer
01-13-2015, 10:03 PM
RDCracer which setup gun/compressor did you buy at harbor freight? I have an old gun that has been ticking me off lately... I have a harbor freight literally a stone throw from my work.
Go to their website or go to the store and get on their email list. I get the sale ads and they usually have an addtional 20% off coupon The gun I use is Mini Detail gun #92126. They had them on sale for 9.99 at one point and I bought like 3 of them. Still using the first one. They are pretty good if you clean them. The compressor cost about 79.00. If you are going to use it for anything but an airbrush make sure it has at least 2.5hp. Their cheepo airbrush sells for about $12-$15 and I bought at first for a throw a way for stuff that I didnt want to use in my good gun and found out they are really good also.
Get a folding table and get off the sidewalk:biggrin:

rdcracer
01-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Mike, how bout one of these setups??... http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp-58-psi-compressor-and-airbrush-kit-95630.html

You can use one of these but they pulse as there is no tank. If you are going to go with a small one you can find one with a small tank that will work better. This would be good for a small airbrush http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/3-gal-13-hp-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-61615.html
This is simular to the one I have but mine has a 2.5 HP and I got it on sale for 79.00 http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/8-gal-2-hp-125-psi-oil-lube-air-compressor-68740.html
Hope this helps. I put my 10x10 canopy I use at the races in my driveway with thick plastic dropcloth enclosing it with a fan taped to the plastic to pull out fumes and you have an instant paint room. My wife kills me if I get fumes in the house

Chilli
01-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the input Rich. I'm not much of a painter myself. I rely on my brother in law and he has a huge shop compressor in his detached garage. I did purchase one of those detail guns and we shoot two part klass Kote epoxy paint with it. The gun works well and the paint is great. Never had it pull off or chip.

RCBoaterGuy
01-13-2015, 11:59 PM
Go to their website or go to the store and get on their email list. I get the sale ads and they usually have an addtional 20% off coupon The gun I use is Mini Detail gun #92126. They had them on sale for 9.99 at one point and I bought like 3 of them. Still using the first one. They are pretty good if you clean them. The compressor cost about 79.00. If you are going to use it for anything but an airbrush make sure it has at least 2.5hp. Their cheepo airbrush sells for about $12-$15 and I bought at first for a throw a way for stuff that I didnt want to use in my good gun and found out they are really good also.

Get a folding table and get off the sidewalk... Great idea, will check goodwill & salvation army see if I can get one on the cheap.

You can use one of these but they pulse as there is no tank. If you are going to go with a small one you can find one with a small tank that will work better. This would be good for a small airbrush http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/3-gal-13-hp-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-61615.html
This is simular to the one I have but mine has a 2.5 HP and I got it on sale for 79.00 http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/8-gal-2-hp-125-psi-oil-lube-air-compressor-68740.html
Hope this helps. I put my 10x10 canopy I use at the races in my driveway with thick plastic dropcloth enclosing it with a fan taped to the plastic to pull out fumes and you have an instant paint room. My wife kills me if I get fumes in the house

I was looking at those pancake jobbies, but there's so many bad reviews (over heating) that I was leary. Could always pull the plastic shroud off so the motor can breath.

Nother option would be having a box fan blowing air on the compressor (& or) motor to keep temps down.

rdcracer
01-14-2015, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the input Rich. I'm not much of a painter myself. I rely on my brother in law and he has a huge shop compressor in his detached garage. I did purchase one of those detail guns and we shoot two part klass Kote epoxy paint with it. The gun works well and the paint is great. Never had it pull off or chip.

Ive used Klass Kote but dont use epoxy paint anymore. I was painting a 6' sailboat yellow in my garage and fogot about the kick factor. I painted everything in the garage yellow. And I mean everything. Wife was not too happy with me. Almost ended my RC career. Her mother still gives me crap about it.

egneg
01-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Blowing air on the comp won't help ... you get what you pay for. If you want good results either spend the money for quality equipment or pay someone to do it for you.

srislash
01-14-2015, 10:02 AM
Ive used Klass Kote but dont use epoxy paint anymore. I was painting a 6' sailboat yellow in my garage and fogot about the kick factor. I painted everything in the garage yellow. And I mean everything. Wife was not too happy with me. Almost ended my RC career. Her mother still gives me crap about it.

Ouch... Been close myself.

ray schrauwen
01-14-2015, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the heads up!! lol... sorry... I've pulled worse maneuvers...

Chilli
01-14-2015, 04:48 PM

That's why I specified my bro-in-law shoots "in his detached garage". I should of elaborated more. "His" means his wife doesn't go in there. LOL. For folks that haven't used it, you've got to take all the precautions with Klass Kote that you do shooting any auto paint. The fumes are nasty when you shoot it. It's good stuff though. It flows nice, is durable and you can get it in small quantities.

RCBoaterGuy
01-14-2015, 05:34 PM
Agreed, however I pointed out in post 16, live in an apartment - don't have room to store a proper compressor like the second one RDCracer linked in post 25. Even those pancake jobbies would be tough.

I've been having good luck with rattle cans because of attention to prep.

Blowing air on the comp won't help ... you get what you pay for. If you want good results either spend the money for quality equipment or pay someone to do it for you.

JMSCARD
01-14-2015, 05:54 PM

Going back over to pick something up tonight one way or another.... I have been on the email list for sure! Great deal, in fact I use the 20 or 25% coupon everytime a new one comes out, I've got a bunch of stuff from them.... a lot of their stuff might not be good for commercial use, but works fantastic for hobbyists for occasional use with great results!