PDA

View Full Version : Done for?

nosreme722
07-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Is this prop done for or should i just try to file it back as much as I can?? :confused2:

NativePaul
07-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Cut it back smoothly, cut the other blade to match, reshape both resharpen and rebalance, it may not be as good for that boat as it was, but some day it will be better for a boat than a stock prop.

nosreme722
07-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Cut it back smoothly, cut the other blade to match, reshape both resharpen and rebalance, it may not be as good for that boat as it was, but some day it will be better for a boat than a stock prop.

Yeah I figured I'd at least try to fix it. It's not a horrible bite. I thought I had hit something but it was on both sides and I realized the strut had moved up a bit and the prop started to hit the strut holder (?)

It was first use of the darn thing. Well.. Back to work.

srislash
07-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Sometimes these incidents make great props. Funny thing about props.

nosreme722
07-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Anyway while Im here I might as well say that I could not get that thing perfectly balanced. I could tell I was close but never got it to really stop in a different position every time. It was my first one and I dont know what im doing wrong but I tried and tried and just could not get it perfectly balanced.. :crying:

I tried taking off a tiny bit or a lot and just never could get it quite right..

nosreme722
07-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Ok so I was reading more closely on balancing (Ive already read lots and watched videos) and it said its balanced when it stays 'level' and neither blade falls. I did that a bunch a times but I kept going because I was trying to get it where it would stay anywhere in any direction. Is that even possible without extra fancy pants tools?

srislash
07-06-2014, 12:03 AM
It is possible. You have to work on the hub or possibly the base of the blade. It can go on for hours and with the surface drives of today with one blade out while one is cupping water it is really unnecessary.

I have done it before I knew better. I have not noticed any excessive bushing wear as a result. More attention should/could be paid to matching blade faces.

nosreme722
07-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Good as new :thumbup1:

It is possible. You have to work on the hub or possibly the base of the blade... More attention should/could be paid to matching blade faces.

Whenever it was horizontal I tried removing some from the hub and the base of the blade but I guess I could just never get the right amount. Also, on the ose balancing how-to it says "to be able to make either blade be on either side of the balancer". How the poop do I do that? :sad:

By blade faces do you mean shape or thinness or sharpness or all of the above? Thanks.

srislash
07-06-2014, 03:31 PM
I mean the concave face which pushes the water. You need clay to make an imprint of one blade then work the second till it fits the imprint. Thick or thinness of the blade will effect its efficiency to cut through the water. A lot of this will only gain you 1/2mph or maybe more. Depends on the prop you start with. It is fun to play with though. Super cheap too.

nosreme722
07-06-2014, 07:32 PM
After I fixed the strut and strut holder and refinished the prop she ran perfectly. Found some calm water and she just went true, turning was flawless too :buttrock:

gps only said 49 on 4s with a 4074 which is a bit disappointing but she ran so well I dont care :cool:

Anyway thanks for the help!