PDA

View Full Version : Hobbywing 130hv and 5692 1000kv motor, witch battery connector should i use?

waterproof
07-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Hi.

I have looked at a joysway silverline rtr that came with hobbywing seaking 130hv esc and 5692 motor on 1000kv.
The esc have 6mm bullet connectors, and they have a very small cable on each cable, is this for a small battery to add voltage before the 8s lipo 29,6v been connected so it dont give electric shock risk?
Could i swap connectors to xt90 5mm plug without this small cable on the cable like the stock one?
If not, how could i use this small connections on the esc battery cables?

Anyone that know what i could do if i buy the boat?
I have lipo battery with xt90 connections but they dont have this extra small cables..

Thanks for all reply :)

grsboats
07-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Are you sure about the specs of motor and esc ? seems there is something wrong as a 5692 motor(1000kv) on 8S will kill this esc quickly!BTW get rid of the xt90 connectors ..better off stick to 6mm connectors with this voltage and sorry as I haven't understood what you meant of small cables.Gill

martin
07-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Look under Product Reviews section, Bill Oxidean ran a review + some videos of the Joysway Silverline boat. A few runs on 8s & also ran 10s ( not recommended ) on stock equipment. The Silverline review is 9 or 10 down from the top of the Product Reviews.

martin
07-03-2014, 07:07 PM
The motor in the Silverline is 1050kv. You certainly don't want 5mm connectors on this boat.

grsboats
07-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Martin I have followed the thread and despite the off topic discussion.... it's clear the good potential of this boat....but honestly I would really consider a bigger esc for it.Thanks Gill

tlandauer
07-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Are you sure about the specs of motor and esc ? seems there is something wrong as a 5692 motor(1000kv) on 8S will kill this esc quickly!BTW get rid of the xt90 connectors ..better off stick to 6mm connectors with this voltage and sorry as I haven't understood what you meant of small cables.Gill

May be it is the spark eliminator resistor cable he is talking about. Seaking ( Hobby Wing's new ESC s all have that)
Just saying!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

waterproof
07-04-2014, 03:05 AM
Hello, yes im sure at the motor and esc spec, sorry for my language, it is connected one small cable from both esc battery cable, one on the red and one on the black with maby 1-2mm thicknes..

martin
07-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Gill I would certainly agree I would want more than a 130a hv esc on this boat, being a rtr boat compromises are made by the manufacturers as with many rtr boats. Working to a price point, I would remove the 130a & use it in something more appropriate (rather than burn the esc) & replace with a more suited esc.

grsboats
07-04-2014, 10:48 AM
No problem you will be used to those specific terms and Yes can be what we call the "antispark" that is a small resistor that avoids sparks when you connect your battery cable.....otherwise you can post a pic to elucidate your doubts.Thanks
Gill

kfxguy
07-04-2014, 11:14 AM
I knew this would come up sooner or later after his reviews on that boat. Do yourself a favor and get a more robust esc if you expect it to last any amount of time.

fidelity101
08-13-2014, 12:36 PM
I recently purchased the Joysway UH-1 and I'm looking around on these threads for any helpful information. I see that a lot of you are really down on the 130A HV Seeking ESC for this boat and I'd appreciate a heads up as to why. At 130A, this ESC is capable of pushing about 4kw of power to the motor. 745 watts translates to roughly 1HP, so we're talking roughly 5.25HP which is about what my Team Enforcer Pro Zenoah G26 pro modified engine put out. I'm sure nailing the throttle will crease some nasty spikes of current, but if the owner treats the model in a reasonable manner, I find it hard to believe that the ESC is "underrated" for the application at hand.

I know Chris Fine is a big fan of the 300A ESC's, but they're also $300 or more. For people like myself, who will be taking it easy on the boat and happy to be in the 40-50mph range, I am optimistic that the stock ESC will hold up.

Also, does anyone know if Joysway makes different configurations for the models they sell? I ask because their website shows the UH-1 (part number 9112H) has coming RTR with tx/rx/servo/battery box while www.atomikrc.com , www.amazon.com and sellers on www.ebay.com all have the items listed as "Required: Radio System: 2.4GHz 2 Channel Battery: (2) 35C 4S 5000mAh 14.8v ( Not Included ) LiPO Charger: Balance Charger ( not included ) Servo: 9 KG High Torque Other: Battery Box and On/Off Switch."

Last question (at least in this post. :) ) Would EC5 connectors be unacceptable for this boat? I'm using them successfully in my HV EDF jet applications with up to 12S batteries and 100-120A so I would imagine they would hold up well, but I'm new to boats and it seems many people on this forum may have a different opinion when it comes to RC boating applications. I've already zapped myself with those darn 5.5mm bullet connectors when setting up two 6S 5000mah packs in a 12S setup because the two outside 5.5mm connectors decided to pop up and touch my watch...creating a circuit which ended up in some nasty burns on my wrist...and a dead watch.

iridebikes247
08-13-2014, 01:27 PM
You could sell that esc in the swap shop here, and get a sf240 esc you'll probably end up spending 100$ to make the upgrade. Well worth it burning an esc in a perfectly good hull really, really sucks. The cleanup, the marks left sometimes, everything.

If you want to use connectors go with the castle 6.5mm ones, I really like the bullets but have yet to try out the connector with housing.

fidelity101
08-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Do you mind sharing a bit of "why" the ESC isn't up to task? Is it a quality issue, an undersize issue, or something else I'm not getting? I really appreciate the advice as I'm trying to wrap my head around the reasoning for such large ESC's when it comes to boats. In the world of EDF jets, you're talking a constant high amp draw because of the crazy RPM's and jumping on the throttle is generally not advised. I would have to imagine that same logic applies to boats as water is obviously denser than air and trying to go from 0 rpms to 22000 rpms in 0.25 seconds would probably be akin to a short circuit...extreme amp draw! I would also imagine the RC cars having the same issue with people trying to do standing backflips.

The last thing I would want to do is fry an ESC inside the fuselage...the extreme heat would cause a lot of damage. The reasons I want to know if it's quality or just amp draw is that I can easily deal with amp draw concerns but quality control issues are an entirely different problem. EC5 connectors are rated for 120A constant all day long. I can use my 130A watt meter (http://www.valuehobby.com/gt-power-130a-wattmeter.html) connected inline with EC5 connectors to do a few runs and determine what my max amp draw will be. Alternatively, I can just go ahead and buy a nicer quality ESC that already has a built in data logging function...if such a thing exists?

A little bit of homework taught me that SF stands for Swordfish. :) $280ish shipped isn't bad...assuming this is the place to buy them? http://kintecracing.com/SwordfishESC.html . Does anyone else sell them? Are they better than the ones that Chris Fine sells? http://www.finedesignrc.com/speedcontrolsfdm.asp

I also noticed that for the sake of another $20, you can step into the 300A monster!

785boats
08-13-2014, 05:39 PM
In the shop right here at Off Shore Electrics. Steve sells a range of Swordfish.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=Brushless+Speed+Controls+ESC

fidelity101
08-13-2014, 07:33 PM
And better prices too! :) Thanks!

That 300 looks awesome! Is there any reason I wouldn't want to just go for broke and buy that monster?

Also, since the amp draw for this boat is about the equivalent of my EDF jets...I'm guessing run times are going to stink. Can I go with 4S 8000mah packs on each side for extended run times or will the added weight cause issues? With the amount of amp draw, assuming it's not a problem, I might even end up going 8S2P for an 8S 10Ah setup if it doesn't negatively affect performance.

iridebikes247
08-13-2014, 11:49 PM
8s2p sounds like a good idea with 1000kv. With the 2p setup voltage under load will remain high, giving higher top speed. The swordfish 300 is great, the 240 is too. You can't go wrong with either. If you can swing the 300 though, why not.