PDA

View Full Version : Servo's

electric
06-28-2014, 09:12 PM
I am putting together a new boat and I dropped in a Bluebird servo which I never have used before. It was a heavy servo with metal gears and it burned itself up in no time. The servo would just "jitter" and no matter what settings I tried for milliseconds etc. I could not get it to settle down. I then dug around in the drawer and plugged in a "cheaper" version of a bluebird servo and it spun like crazy in one direction and then smoked Hmmm.

I then began to question my receiver as it is a brand new spectrum marine receiver that I also had just purchase today. Well, I was out of servo's except I found a "mini" servo in a drawer and being a glutton for punishment, I plugged it in to. Well it worked successfully.

Never have had a servo problem before, but I usually use Hitec or Traxxas servo's. I guess I will go get one at the hobby store tomorrow and see finally if there is still something flaky with the receiver or is it really just some really bad servo's I was trying. I bought them a long time ago so can't even tell you where I got them from.

Anyone seen anything like that?

electric
06-29-2014, 08:38 AM
I was thinking about this with my morning coffee and maybe it was because I did not uncoil the two antenna as I had just pulled the receiver out the box and was quickly hooking up everything? Might be a contributing factor?

Fluid
06-29-2014, 09:55 AM
I really doubt it Jim. The most probable cause of the failures is the receiver's frame rate. Too high a frame rate on non-digital can burn it up.....sometimes apparently. But the marine Spektrum receivers are supposed to have a low rate regardless of the setting.....

ron1950
06-29-2014, 10:01 AM
I have 2 hitec 645mg servo's that chatter back and forth ... spectrum dx3r pro and marine recivers ... both new servos....I never did figure out why but they are both in a drawer as I was too lazy to send them back to hitec....

tlandauer
06-29-2014, 01:38 PM
I have 2 hitec 645mg servo's that chatter back and forth ... spectrum dx3r pro and marine recivers ... both new servos....I never did figure out why but they are both in a drawer as I was too lazy to send them back to hitec....

That combo will chatter sometimes, get youself a "signal booster" from Spektrum http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/spektrum-signal-line-voltage-booster-SPMCP , it should help. I had a FiTec ( was curious at this rather high torque unit) servo which I was trying on a ML tunnel and it did that with a Tactic, the booster wire helped somewhat, it only does that occasionally now.
I like Futaba servos in general, they are reliable and I have not encountered one that will chatter.