PDA

View Full Version : miss geico 24 upgrades?

logan6
06-26-2014, 03:39 PM
So I bought a miss geico 24 recently and it's great but I want to see what I can do with it as far as upgrading it. This is my first boat but I know some about them. I'm probablly having trouble finding anything out about them because they were discontinued. I want to upgrade the strut to something like the miss geico 29 has so I have more room to adjust the angle of the prop and so it sits lower in the water.I have encountered some problems with either cavitation or ventilation I'm not sure which one it is but when I hit the throttle the boat sometimes has a hard time accelerating. The prop spins and throws up water and almost pushes the water apart leaving no water to propel the boat but it will move, just slowly. I have tried changing the pitch down so the prop faces the water more and it has helped but hasn't solved the problem. I have upgraded to the steel prop and a larger rubber pickup tube for the cooling jacket so I don't think those upgrades will affect the problem. Any info helps. thanks.

joucca
06-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Problem is not your MG's strut. Stock motor + battery cannot provide enough power to run the boat. What battery are you using? If you are using original Dynamite 2400 mAh NiMh get rid of it. Buy good 5000 mAh 8.4V NiMh or 2S-3S Lipo pack. Then you see real difference in performance. Steerable outdrive is good enough if you are using stock motor that is not the problem. And buy a good prob diameter around 35 mm I used Octura m435 before I upgraded my MG24 to brushless. It worked much better than original. Plains fast no cavitation. I also bought 110 mm inline rudder from Promise Hobby. That made a big change how boat handles.

logan6
06-30-2014, 08:18 PM
I agree the included batteries are pretty Bad. I went straight to a 5000 2s venom Lipo I had laying around from some of my cars and it does good. Can the 50 amp speed control handle 3s I thought it only went up to 9.6v from a nimh and I can't find one that will fit in the boat. Do you think you could post the link for the prop and rudder. Do octura props have to be balanced and sharpened?

Thanks

joucca
07-01-2014, 06:04 AM
Yes Octura propellers must be sharpened and balanced before use. You can buy one from OSE or some other RC boat store. They make the work for you if you can't do it yourself. I buy my props from UK. That's because I live in Finland. Here is picture from my boat.

If you like to change the rudder then you must change also the flexshaft.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110mm-rudder-strut-3-16-cable-rc-boat-silver-/140514187219?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b74c57d3

dontrinko
07-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Stock battery is not good. Mine works great with 2s lipo 3200 mah and every thing else stock. I put the battery in the middle a cross the boat, not on the side. Don

logan6
07-02-2014, 02:44 PM
I put mine in the middle too. The first few times I ran it the boat was handling great. It had fast acceleration out of turns and plowed across the wakes it made. I bought two of these boats one for me and one for my dad. Can someone further explain cavitation and ventilation. What is the difference? Sorry for all the questions the hobby shops around me in greensboro, north Carolina in the US don't carry many boats anymore and don't know much.
Thanks
Logan