PDA

View Full Version : Swordfish esc

Engelkefarm
06-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Im having trouble installing software on my computer. I have tried 3 different computers. Xp. Vista and windows 8. I also tried setting throottle on tx. What ends up happening is it will rev out unless i hold the throttle in reverse. Tryed setting the throttle in reverse but that did not work. I have been reading the instructions and doing as it says. Its the 220a pro+.

Engelkefarm
06-25-2014, 08:00 PM
My computer will not open the rar. Format i have tried downloading rar openers but all i get is pop ups. I programmed my seaking 180 in about 2 min

Alexgar
06-25-2014, 08:03 PM
send me the program ill open it and send it back to you pm sent

Engelkefarm
06-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Windows needs to install driver software Cp2102 usb to uart bridge controller. Thats the message i get but what driver?

Alexgar
06-25-2014, 09:23 PM
sent paul

Engelkefarm
06-25-2014, 09:41 PM
Worked like a charm. Thank you.

msundsd5
06-27-2014, 11:27 PM
@Alexgar

Can you assist me as well? I have Swordfish 220PRO +'s with data logging and can't get the program to download on my Windows 7 or Windows 8 Laptop. I would prefer the Windows 8 Laptop simply because it's newer but if it has to be Windows 7 so be it. I was able to download the program on an old desktop computer running Vista ( how ancient ) but need to download on my laptops for accessibility purposes. I seen a couple of post about these esc's and the trouble with downloading and just really wish I could get this done. Please let me know if you can help, this is frustrating to say the least!

Alexgar
06-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Honestly have no experience with windows 8 not sure what to do ,what problem are you having downloading opening or using it?

tlandauer
06-29-2014, 12:03 AM
I just encountered the same earlier, I have Windows 7, bought a Swordfish Pro+ 220A-6s ESC, after I downloaded the software, it says I need a "64 bit" something , "need to contact vendor" ???
I have Window 7 64 bit I thought.
What does it mean for me, can I ever hope to use the PC for logging? Good thing I have the program box so I can set it up, but would like to use the PC for more options.
I suck at computers, so any enlightenments are deeply appreciated!!!

Engelkefarm
06-29-2014, 12:13 AM
Alexgar they cant open the rar version they need the same thing you helped me with

Alexgar
06-29-2014, 12:25 AM
if they can pm there email ill send it to them to

tlandauer
06-29-2014, 12:29 AM
How does one send the software around:noidea: ? IS there hope for me?:w00t:

Rocstar
06-29-2014, 12:37 AM
How does one send the software around:noidea: ? IS there hope for me?:w00t:
http://www.kbbforums.com/swordfish-esc-software-t615.html

Alexgar
06-29-2014, 12:37 AM
email send me you email in a pm please

tlandauer
06-29-2014, 12:39 AM
http://www.kbbforums.com/swordfish-esc-software-t615.html
Thank you sir!
:beerchug:

tlandauer
06-29-2014, 12:40 AM
email send me you email in a pm please

PM sent! Thanks, sorry to bother you !

tlandauer
06-29-2014, 01:00 AM
Guys, thanks!
I downloaded from FBB as well as the one Alex sent me via e mail.
Now including the one I "installed" this afternoon, I got three versions: 4.03 , 4.11 and 4.12.
When I plugged in the USB, it installed the driver successfully, but when I open the Swordfish with the jetfighter icon, I clicked on the buttons and none of them would respond? Sorry, guys...:o :o

tlandauer
06-29-2014, 01:19 AM
My question is this: should I uninstall all three and start over again?

Alexgar
06-29-2014, 01:34 AM
Worth a shot

Alexgar
06-29-2014, 01:35 AM
Install the newest version

tlandauer
06-29-2014, 01:46 AM
Worth a shot

Install the newest version

OK, will do, thanks Alex and really sorry for all the fuss, can't believe how lame I am. :o

tlandauer
06-29-2014, 02:40 AM
The disc I got from OSE is version 4.12, yours is 4.11, both said I need to "contact the Vendor for a 64-bit version of DPInst.exe for my machine" ??

The one from KBB is version 4.03 and when I install that, it has a driver's software from "Silicon...", but I can't open that one either.
I have individually installed/uninstalled/reinstalled them several times, I don't get it.
Thanks for all your generosity with your time.

Engelkefarm
06-29-2014, 08:44 AM
You need latest version that alex can send. Others have had common port problems that could be your issue. And i dont beleive any versions will work with windows 8

tlandauer
06-29-2014, 01:42 PM
You need latest version that alex can send. Others have had common port problems that could be your issue. And i dont beleive any versions will work with windows 8

Using Windows 7 only, what's "common port" ?

Engelkefarm
06-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Theres some other threads on what it is and how to fix it. Im not much of a computer guy myself

tlandauer
06-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Theres some other threads on what it is and how to fix it. Im not much of a computer guy myself
OK, thanks, will do more reading! :thumbup1:

tlandauer
06-30-2014, 05:08 AM
I e mailed Steven and he was kind enough to respond on a Sunday! I was told to manually install the driver which I did, still not working. When I connect the ESC to the PC via the USB, the HiFei does not give me a "Open Device " button.
I have a Vista laptop which is barely alive :lol: , will give that a try... :olleyes:

wiljm
06-30-2014, 12:00 PM
I run this on windows 8 and windows 7 with no issues, it's even installed on the C: drive. As long as you've selected the right comm port when you launch it, everything should work with this trick. The only trick I use is to right click on the shortcut and choose "run as administrator" every time I launch it. If "run as administrator" isn't' in the menu when you right click, hold down left shift when you right click and it will be. This bypasses the computers policy that limits you from writing direct to the C: drive.

If you need to find the comm port number, go to control panel and choose device manager, expand "ports", and it will be listed there as long as its plugged in. If you have trouble figuring out which one it is, unplug it and see which one goes away.

tlandauer
06-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks, I will try later. Appreciate your advice!

tlandauer
06-30-2014, 03:01 PM
OK, I still have no luck.
First Steven told me to lower my screen resolution---that didn't work.
@ wiljim, I did everything per your suggestion, now when I go to the "device manager" and I found the port that I could open, several questions: in the "flow Control:, three options 1, none 2, Xon/Xoff 3,hardware ------------ which do I choose?
what setting for the 'buffer"? the default is FIFO Buffer but need to choose hi or lo for Receiver and Transmit OR, unclick that and leave it as is ( no option between hi or lo)
Thanks in advance!
When I launch the shortcut, I am right clicking as Administrator.
Thanks!

wiljm
06-30-2014, 03:16 PM
You shouldn't have to change any of the options on the port. Going to device manager will just let you know what com port it is. Next to the device listed in device manager it will say "COMX" X being the number 1,2,3,4,etc. When you open the program, there's a button in the bottom left that says "Set com port" click on that, then click on the drop down and choose the com port you found in device manger. Then you should be able to click open device in the bottom left corner. Maybe I misunderstood your problem.

tlandauer
06-30-2014, 03:22 PM
My problem is that I don't see anything below the black border under the picture of the fighter jet.
Neither "set com port" nor "open device" appear in the picture. I resized my screen but I doubt that was it, because all this time I was able to see the entire picture plus left over real estate on the screen.

tlandauer
06-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Oh, BTW, the "ready" and the clock appears though! CLOCK is running correctly!

wiljm
06-30-2014, 03:41 PM
I just tried setting the resolution on my laptop as low as it goes (800X600) and I still see everything fine. If you're seeing real estate outside the window, that doesn't sound like resolution is too low. It sounds like the window is too small. Is the window maximized? The easiest way to maximize a window is probably to click on the middle button, to the left of the X button, in the top right corner of the window.

Otherwise, there should be 3 little diagonal lines in the bottom right corner of the window. When you hover your mouse curser over them, it changes into a double arrow. Click and drag the corner of the window down and over to make it bigger.

tlandauer
06-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I maximized the window, no dice. :frusty:
I see the bottom , even the "exit" button, the clock, ready, everything on the lowest of the picture I see, just not the Open device. :noidea:

tlandauer
06-30-2014, 03:49 PM
My Bad, don't see "EXIT"

wiljm
06-30-2014, 04:34 PM
If your window looks like the following, I was able to re-create your issue. Go to control panel then choose "display". Set the magnification to "Smaller - 100% (default)", click apply, then either log off and log back on, or reboot. It will make things much smaller, but will allow you to use the program.

tlandauer
06-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Sir! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Worked like magic!! I am so near sighted that I guess I had set my screen a bit bigger, I guess that is what Steven meant by resizing, too, I just thought it was a resolution issue.

Thank you again for all your time! Have a great rest od the day!
This Forum IS THE BEST!!

wiljm
06-30-2014, 05:01 PM
You're very welcome. What goes around, comes around. This was my first post here after my very fist run on my first boat. I recognized your avatar...

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?43161-Motor-mount-glue-epoxy&p=524278&highlight=#post524278

tlandauer
06-30-2014, 05:07 PM
You're very welcome. What goes around, comes around. This was my first post here after my very fist run on my first boat. I recognized your avatar...

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?43161-Motor-mount-glue-epoxy&p=524278&highlight=#post524278

:laugh:
You have spent much more time to help me and that is generosity on your part with your own time, thanks again, much appreciated!

Alexgar
06-30-2014, 11:05 PM
Worked like magic!! I am so near sighted that I guess I had set my screen a bit bigger, I guess that is what Steven meant by resizing, too, I just thought it was a resolution issue.

This Forum IS THE BEST!!

glad to see it all worked out

tlandauer
07-01-2014, 05:56 AM
@ Alexgar
@Rocstar
@Engelkefarm
Thanks to each one of you whose advice and help are greatly appreciated!
I was about to give up that very first day were it not for you guys' input!
:beerchug: and happy boating my friends!

Engelkefarm
07-01-2014, 07:25 AM
I did not do much but fyi my swordfish blew up first day. My seaking 180 never gave me any issues i thought i was upgrading be carefull

tlandauer
07-01-2014, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up, wish me luck, I put it in a Zippkits JAE 21 FE rigger, hope it will be ok, I don't know....
May I ask which Swordfish ESC were you using?

Engelkefarm
07-01-2014, 08:46 AM
220a im thinking it was defective

T.S.Davis
07-01-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm having zero luck with these. Ran the 120 with the same settings as my hobbywing. 3 laps in it shuts down. Not sure if the LVC is the culpret. I'll have to mess with it to see.

My brand new 220 burned up on the bench. Never got to run it.

What's the deal with the calibration beeps? They don't sound like the instructions describe. Is there a video with decent sound showing how to do it?

Not giving up but really frustrated with these.

wiljm
07-01-2014, 11:09 AM
I think I used this video from OSE as an example when I did mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iKALWTOhK8

tlandauer
07-01-2014, 11:29 PM
The manual was not clear, something lost in the translation, I just waited the first series of tones and immediately released the trigger, it seemed to arm. I then turned up the throttle EPA to 120%. I will try either tomorrow or Thursday.
Frankly I am a bit nervous as some of you who are more experienced than I am are having tough times with this ESC. :scared:

T.S.Davis
07-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Great video Steve. I'll try it again once I'm ready to play boats again. Taking a little break after last week. Like maybe a week off. LOL

rickwess
07-02-2014, 08:15 AM
The manual was not clear, something lost in the translation, I just waited the first series of tones and immediately released the trigger, it seemed to arm. I then turned up the throttle EPA to 120%. I will try either tomorrow or Thursday.
Frankly I am a bit nervous as some of you who are more experienced than I am are having tough times with this ESC. :scared:
With the latest FW, you shouldn't need to turn up the throttle trim. My logs show me hitting 100% throttle with my trim set at neutral. I'm running a Spektrum as well.

ezhitz
07-02-2014, 11:16 AM
What is the current version? Mine is AHKB 3A16 11MS 2202 .

rickwess
07-02-2014, 11:23 AM
What is the current version? Mine is AHKB 3A16 11MS 2202 .

I don't have my boats with me, but the last 4 digits look familiar. Hefei doesn't include the FW version in their naming conversion. :thumbdown:

tlandauer
07-02-2014, 12:03 PM
With the latest FW, you shouldn't need to turn up the throttle trim. My logs show me hitting 100% throttle with my trim set at neutral. I'm running a Spektrum as well.

Thanks, good to know. How is yours holding up?

rickwess
07-02-2014, 12:29 PM
The lake was just too busy this weekend (Canada Day long weekend). Three water dogs at my cottage alone. With the high heat and humidity, everyone seemed to be in the water playing and keeping cool. Didn't want to risk it. I was really wanting to test my cooling mods.

The consultation prize was I got to spend more time playing with the 228" gas boat:

117492 117491

tlandauer
07-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Wow! She is a beauty! :rockon2:
Enjoy!

T.S.Davis
07-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Must have been horrible for you. Not sure how you survived. :nopity::blink::cool2:

tlandauer
07-02-2014, 05:11 PM
I guess this is my lucky day. The ESC didn't go boom. Everything worked out. I am using this in a Zippkits JAE21 FE rigger with a TPPOWER 3640 6D motor (3670/2460kv) with a H7 prop. Speed increased from 99kph to 112kpm. That is 69.6mph.
Temp was never higher than 124 at the capacitors and motor was 127 at the hottest. Battery was 111 . I ran 2 packs of Grim Lipo and 1 pack of Dinogy.
The graph shows my average amp draw was 138a, 2009w.
I realized perhaps I also have the latest FW (2002), but I left the throttle EPA @120%, no issues, log showed throttle 100%. Timing was manually set via the USB to 2 degrees advance. I wanted to leave it at low as was set with the box, but changed my mind before leaving the house.
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice!

Fluid
07-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Great Tim! That's a big increase due to the ESC. Different settings? Congrats!

rickwess
07-02-2014, 06:45 PM
I realized perhaps I also have the latest FW (2202)
If you purchased it recently, you probably do. The 220+ I purchased from OSE in Nov'13 needed to be updated, but the 220+ I purchased from OSE in Feb'14 was already at the latest release.

I know you were on the fence about trying the Swordfish ESC. What do you think of it compared to the SK180?

tlandauer
07-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Great Tim! That's a big increase due to the ESC. Different settings? Congrats!

Thank you Fluid!
Other than leveling the turn fin dead level with the top of the tub when viewed from the port side as suggested by Doug Smock, there is not much I can do to improve this rigger---it was bought used and although built well, it had its share of mileage. Also made sure the strut is touching the floor of the skid, I could only made .5mm difference, but small changes yield dividends I guess in the end!
I learned so much just fiddling this rigger.
I know my progress is slow compare to more adventurous people, but I know my limitations all too well.

tlandauer
07-02-2014, 06:59 PM
If you purchased it recently, you probably do. The 220+ I purchased from OSE in Nov'13 needed to be updated, but the 220+ I purchased from OSE in Feb'14 was already at the latest release.

I know you were on the fence about trying the Swordfish ESC. What do you think of it compared to the SK180?

Yes, I bought it VERY recently! This is my first Swordfish ESC.
You know, I was prompted by someone ( may be it was you) that the throttle input would be a bit more smooth if it is set at "slow or soft" start, which is exactly what I did, and so I did not feel any perceptible difference today. With all the talk of blowing up even before hitting the water :lol:, I was too preoccupied to filter any differences.
I was seriously thinking of modifying the cooling nipple orientation of the SK 180a ESC so that it will fit in the rigger, but laziness wins once more! :o

Engelkefarm
07-03-2014, 10:40 AM
What can handle more power a 200 amp esc or a 220 esc?

Engelkefarm
07-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Swordfish esc im talking about. The 220a can handle 6 cell but the 200a can handle 8 cell. Someone please explain how a lower amp esc can handle more voltage. I asked the owner of ose the best answer he gave me was thats how they are designed

rickwess
07-03-2014, 03:36 PM
watt = amp × volt

Assuming the wattage remains constant, if the amperage is lower the voltage can be higher.

Engelkefarm
07-03-2014, 05:05 PM
So between the two esc stated above which would be the better of the two on 11.1 volt

Engelkefarm
07-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Sorry 22.2 volt 1600kv 4082 leopard

T.S.Davis
07-06-2014, 01:02 PM
I think I used this video from OSE as an example when I did mine.

Does anyone know of a similar video while using a BEC on a spektrum? Tricky because you have to wait for the BEC to power the RX. Then there are maybe 3 seconds waiting on the radio sinc.................now what? The speedo is in what state at this point? :noidea:

Rocstar
07-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Does anyone know of a similar video while using a BEC on a spektrum? Tricky because you have to wait for the BEC to power the RX. Then there are maybe 3 seconds waiting on the radio sinc.................now what? The speedo is in what state at this point? :noidea:
Same process Terry. I calibrate mine when using the internal BEC and DX4S without issue. I know what you mean about the delay, but it doesn't effect the calibration.

rickwess
07-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Never had to do that yet, but I will with the Scarab. Never thought about it until now, but perhaps use a cheapo battery holder to make an RX pack just for calibrating.

pescador
04-12-2015, 10:58 PM

This Forum IS THE BEST!!

It's an older thread but I was pulling my hair out until I found this solution. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

monojeff
05-18-2019, 02:53 PM
If your window looks like the following, I was able to re-create your issue. Go to control panel then choose "display". Set the magnification to "Smaller - 100% (default)", click apply, then either log off and log back on, or reboot. It will make things much smaller, but will allow you to use the program.

Reviving this as it saved me thank you!!