PDA

View Full Version : What is the final word on Swordfish Pro+220 ESC??

tlandauer
06-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Hi,
:help:
Due to dimension constrain I would like to use this: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hef-HB61220L but honestly I am co confused with all the questions and seemingly throttle calibration issues on these ESCs, what can I expect in reality? I just want something that's plug-and -play, as simple as the Seakings and CC ESCs that I have in my boats.
Any enlightenments are appreciated!
My set up would be a TTPOWER 3674/2460kv ( 3640 6D ) on 4s in a Zippkits JAE rigger.

kfxguy
06-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Man I am so hoping Steve starts carrying mgm. They have many options that would fill the gap for us.....with a much nicer looking and reliable esc. They even look more compact. I've not heard much good here lately about the swordfish esc's. ....I know someone who bought two of them brand new and his boat moved about 5 feet and stopped. No communication from the data logging either. I dunno....I'm on the fence about them. Let me ask you this....can you fit a castle hydra ice 240 in your boat? (I'm not familiar with the boat in question). If so, I have an idea for you.

tlandauer
06-24-2014, 12:03 AM
No, CC Hydra would be too cumbersome, I am afraid, right now I have a Seaking 120a ESC, but I want to try the 2400kv motor which will have a higher demand, I don't know, I was just toying with the idea.
It's a pity, really, they have a full line of ESCs.
Thanks for the input, my friend.

rickwess
06-24-2014, 08:50 AM
I have two of those ESCs.

The throttle calibration issue was resolved with a firmware upgrade. The 2nd one I purchased from OSE already had the new FW. I had a SK in my Revolt and other than no reverse on the SF, they run similar. Some say the SK's are more linear, but I suspect they have it set to hard start and not soft start.

I'm running Windows 8 and I'm able to use the USB programmer. I posted somewhere here what I did to get it to work.........nothing complicated.

I've gotten both of mine wet, one was completely submerged while energized when the boat flipped and tore a piece of tape off. After I tore it apart and buried it in rice for a few days, it seems fine. The plus side is once it's apart, there is a simple mod that will improve cooling.

I've been running a TP4050 and TP4060 with my set-ups pulling peak amps of 215A and 170A respectively. Your smaller motor would draw even less.

tlandauer
06-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks! That's good to know. I am glad that the one that was exposed to water is working ok!
The "soft" start you mentioned---one can set that via the box , right?
If I don't do and cooling mods, is there a concern? I remember one of yours was running hot, was that only a prop issue?
Thanks

rickwess
06-24-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty sure you can program everything from the box, not 100% sure though.

The running hot issue was mostly likely the prop, but also my misunderstanding of what I was seeing. The temp sensor is bu one of the FETs and that's what I was going by. An external temp gun would read much lower.

tlandauer
06-25-2014, 02:28 PM
I ordered one, time to give Swordfish a try, I have to thank you for your input.
:beerchug:

kfxguy
06-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Good luck to you! Let me know how it works and if you like it.

tlandauer
06-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Good luck to you! Let me know how it works and if you like it.

I will, I am curious and will see...
:beerchug: