PDA

View Full Version : proboat impulse 31 v2 hairline crack ? how to strengthen ?

06-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Have only taken my new impulse out about 2 times ive never crashed it or hit anything and then the other day I noticed a small hairline crack above the transom looks like the crack did not even reach the fiberglass so it wasnt that deep so I lightly sanded and applied some epoxy I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and is it normal ? Are proboat hulls prone to stress cracks and is there any way to strengthen the hull before I take it back to the lake ?

bayrackobama
01-10-2015, 11:24 PM
I have the same issue with my impulse 31. I just bought it and it has hairline cracks on the bottom of the boat. Did you get it replaced under warranty? or fix the issue?

01-20-2015, 12:12 AM
Well to be honest its probably not the best way to fix it but i purchased some loctite brand two part fiberglass repair resin and smoothed it over with a old credit card which also pushed the resin into the crack and after about 2 days i very lightly color sanded it and to be honest you cant tell they were even there.
But since it sounds as if your impulse is fresh from you lhs id try returning it first or go to the source and call up horizon

BHChieftain
01-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Hi,
Hairline cracks are usually stress cracks in the gelcoat which are normal. If it is like a gouge or into the fiberglass that is a different story.
Chief

bayrackobama
01-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Hi,
Hairline cracks are usually stress cracks in the gelcoat which are normal. If it is like a gouge or into the fiberglass that is a different story.
Chief

Would you say it's okay to use the boat even with those hairline cracks?

srislash
01-29-2015, 09:53 AM
Have only taken my new impulse out about 2 times ive never crashed it or hit anything and then the other day I noticed a small hairline crack above the transom looks like the crack did not even reach the fiberglass so it wasnt that deep so I lightly sanded and applied some epoxy I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and is it normal ? Are proboat hulls prone to stress cracks and is there any way to strengthen the hull before I take it back to the lake ?
You could strip it down and do a CF inlay or even just a F/G cloth inlay. This will add the strength.