PDA

View Full Version : New prop shaft/collet/thrust bearing question..

Brett Mono
06-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Hey guys/gals, Just got my upgraded revolt flex shaft from OSE. I bought the octera collet and the thrust bearing. My question is.... Is the thrust bearing supposed to slide on the motor shaft and then push the collet up against it then tighten or is there supposed to be a gap. Also does the OSE shaft need 5mm of spacing between the strut like the stock shaft does. LASTLY .. I bought a M545 prop and it seems longer than the stock AQ prop, making the amount of threads the prop nut grabs not seem like enough. I am running the bullet nut as well with the jam nut.

Brett Mono
06-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Also, the "pre cut" revolt cable bottoms out on the motor shaft leaving a 4.5mm gap between the drive dog and the strut. Should I cut the cable or is that ok to run like that. The thrust bearing I tightened down in between the collet and the motor can with no gap..

tlandauer
06-20-2014, 03:36 AM
I have never used thrust bearings, it is unnecessary with the sport boating you are going to enjoy. Having said that, yes, the collet must be pushed right up against the thrust bearing. You need to pay close attention to the lubrication of the thrust bearing, the oil flings out and you don't want to have a failed thrust bearing.
DITCH the bullet nut, use Zuber lock nut, hopefully the lock nut is already "locking" by then, because it takes a little real estate before the lock nut actually locks and you don't want to force the issue by over tightening the nut and therefore risking damaging the hub of the prop.
Put a dab of low strength LOCTITE on the thread, blue variety will work.
The gap is a bit much @ 4.5mm, but you are supposed to have a gap the length of the diameter of the cable.
If you have a rotary tool, use a sanding disk ( cut off wheels work ) and carefully shorten the tip of the cable , bevel the tip so it enters the collet easily . You can't use a cut off wheel to cut off, not enough to actually cut off, but I use the "face" of the cut off wheels' to grind the cable tip sometimes to shorten just a bit.

Brett Mono
06-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Ok great! Thanks! I just wanted to use the bullet nut because it came with the OSE flex kit. Plus to add cool points..:cool2: