PDA

View Full Version : aquacraft lucas oil stock/factory part cables?

Namba328
06-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Are these a good cable to use? How is the .150 cable attached to the .187 prop shaft? Has anyone had any problems with the cables in these boats? I just bought 2 for a p-ltd sport hydro and they look to be braised but I can't tell if they are or not forsure. Let me know thanks.

Idontswim
06-17-2014, 10:05 PM
When I bought my Lucas Oil, the first time out the collet loosened up. I tightened it, then the flex cable broke at the prop shaft:ThumbsDown01:
That was all stock by the way. I upgraded to the OSE flex cable for the Lucas Oil and octura collet and haven't had a problem since.

pistol18
06-17-2014, 11:12 PM
I went through 2 AQ cables on my motley crew and then upgraded to OSE cable and collet, all good now. Did the same swap on my Lucas too, definitely the way to go. It's no fun losing a prop that costs $$ either.

tlandauer
06-17-2014, 11:16 PM
Not to bash AC, but their cable should be replaced/up graded ASAP when you run the boat, I have lost my first nice prop on an AC cable that came with a used Pursuit. Lessen learned.

Namba328
06-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Im kinda pissed off right now because i just cut one of these down to put in my pltd sport and after I bolted it up and went to turn it over and it literally fell apart in my hands. It looks like it was glued together??? It would be nice to hear from Michael Zaborowski on this since he's their main designer.

tlandauer
06-17-2014, 11:52 PM
The cables are the weakest link in their product, IMO, but honestly I don't think Mike can or have anything to do with the QC. Be glad that you didn't lose a nice prop.
Just saying...

fusion_m8
09-04-2014, 05:50 AM
I busted the factory flex cable on my second run! The AQ quality for that part is truly appalling! I've run my Miss Geico for 2yrs without any cable issues and so have many other MG29 and BJ29 owners. I just got a new Lucas Oil thursday last week. When I unpacked my new boat, I did the usual pre-flight checks, I tightened all the screws and the motor collet, and lubed the flex cable with marine grease which was bone dry from the factory! I raised the strut height 5mm from stock and changed the plastic prop to a sharpened and balanced VXP X442 CNC prop. Using the same packs and prop I had in my MG29, I must say the Lucas Oil appears much faster than my MG29.

Luckily I purchased an OSE flex cable together with the Lucas Oil from the OSE store! So minimal downtime as I don't have to wait days or weeks for a spare to fly in from the USA. The downside is that when the cable snapped I lost my beloved VXP x442 prop in about 20ft of murky water! Thanks to a steady diet of JAWS movies since I was a kid, I'd prefer not to dive into the murky water and retrieve the prop. Luckily I always pack my sit on top kayak whenever I go RC boating and managed to pickup my stranded Lucas Oil.

iop65
09-04-2014, 05:54 AM
must be lucky , for about 10 months now stock cable doing fine on 5s with stock motor (43 mm cnc 1.4p)
just replaced the collet for a better one

montymike
09-04-2014, 01:42 PM
I busted mine on third run in my revolt with borrowed prop. Crap.. I have a 2030 aquacraft and a aquacraft speed control, in my mystic 29 Runs good! Good electronics poor drivelines.