PDA

View Full Version : how do i make a windshield decal?

out of stock
06-12-2014, 07:05 PM
i need advice on how to make a windshield decal for my fightercat cheetah cf.

im using monokote decal in neon green. i tried placing a paper over it and try to draw it out but it looks horrible.

if anyone has tips i would really find it extremely useful.

i dont want to paint it. i want to use decal. thanks

ray schrauwen
06-12-2014, 10:15 PM
You could save a lot of trouble and have Monojeff make you one but, if you try to make a windshield out of paper first and try to see how well it will lay down on your hatch. This will show you where you did o.k. and where you may have to trim. If you create a center line with tape on the canopy you could do 1/2 the template at a time and just mirror it on paper. I've only tried this a couple times with varied success. If you have a hair dryer or heat gun when you go to install the decal the heat can help you get around bends etc so you will have less or no wrinkles.

If I had a template I'd email it to you. Remember Monojeff if you can't get'r done.

Luck as a Constant
06-12-2014, 10:41 PM
I use tape, draw out the windshield, then peel the tape and cut out your template

out of stock
06-13-2014, 10:40 AM
ray thanks i will shoot jeff a pm.

luck, dude that is actually a fantastic idea. i will try now!

ray schrauwen
06-13-2014, 11:47 AM
It is a great idea and I'll try it too. Otherwise I'll need Monojeff too!

Idontswim
06-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Not to hijack your thread Chris, but does monojeff make them for the Daytona hull as well? Chris get that windshield done, I'll be up at paradise in a little while.

tlandauer
06-14-2014, 04:24 PM
I had some success with tape, Monojeff is the best person/place to get decal. I also find painting it much more satisfying. I use automobile pin stripe to lay out exactly what I want, this material conforms to any shape rather easily. Then I sand the gel coat. After that I use painter's tape to cover the rest of the area and follow the outline of the pin stripe. You need to cover on top of it or tear it after the painter's tape has covered the shape. Use primer and then the desired color. I like to high light the frame of the windshield with pin stripe. It makes it "pop" more.
116725 116726 116727
116728 116729

Idontswim
06-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Wow! Those look great! I only wish I had that steady of a hand. I don't think my lines would come out as nice as yours... Maybe I'll practice on some scrap material. Thanks a lot for the tip.

out of stock
06-17-2014, 09:47 AM
wow nice job!

tlandauer
06-18-2014, 02:36 AM
Thank you guys very much!
:beerchug:

revoltrunner
06-26-2014, 04:33 PM
tlandauer , you have the hands of Paganini

kfxguy
06-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Not to hijack your thread Chris, but does monojeff make them for the Daytona hull as well? Chris get that windshield done, I'll be up at paradise in a little while.

YES he does.....

tlandauer
06-26-2014, 11:44 PM
tlandauer , you have the hands of Paganini

LOL... Thanks!

monojeff
06-29-2014, 01:55 PM
I use tape, draw out the windshield, then peel the tape and cut out your template

Thanks everyone for the kind words happy to help anyone and everyone with windshields.
I have a list in the unique products section of the windshields I have templates for I need to update it but it has a bunch of them on there.
If they are not listed just ask and I might have them.

As for making a template the tape method works the best as stated cover the area with tape then trace around any contour it might have or make your own shape to suit the boat. The tape need to be overlaping one after the next so you can remove it as 1 piece and apply it to paper to save the pattern and use it to either hand cut a new 1 or email/fax/mail to me to make a finished product with. One of these days I will make a few videos on things working on a website finally and hope over the next month to start posting things.