PDA

View Full Version : Swordfish-Auto Timing?

kevinpratt823
06-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Can anybody explain to me how the "auto timing" setting works on these SF controllers? I've always been reluctant to use it, as I'm not sure what it bases the timing on, and I wouldn't wan't to run a motor in the wrong range. Does it sense the wind/rpm/motor and give it optimum timing? Thanks for any input.

srislash
06-08-2014, 11:31 AM
OK, here is one that I am curious about as well. Especially since the program box only offers low, medium, and high as choices.

Meniscus
06-10-2014, 01:38 PM
From the manual: "'Auto Timing' setting is automatically adjust the timing degree according to motor's rotating demand" (not my English)

Not that I'm one to "assume", but one could assume that rather than choosing a timing setting that is grossly out of proportion to the position of the rotor, the switching inside of the ESC can adjust according to the load. When we used to run the original Castle 240LV on 2s and higher pole motors, we had a lot of success setting that particular ESC to auto timing. At the end of the day, if you don't need the extra RPM due to an inappropriate kv rating for the prop selection and application, then it could be a benefit to keep the motor from building excessive heat as opposed to adding too much timing. At the same time, if you are running a D wind as opposed to a Wye wind motor, it could also help from building up too much heat as the result of running too much timing.

The real question is how quickly it adjusts and how quickly do you want it to adjust. With most applications with the exception of SAW, the loads will constantly change due to loading and unloading of the prop for anything that is running on the loose side of things and on surface drives of course.

Fluid
06-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Sorry to have wasted everyone's time. :olleyes:

Fella1340
06-11-2014, 12:59 AM
So... Anybody know how the swordfish specifically deals with auto timing?

nobbiworld
06-11-2014, 06:12 AM
Doc Wayne is the man to ask. He designed the swordfish.

siberianhusky
06-11-2014, 07:31 AM
Don't know exactly, but pretty sure the esc senses the back emf from the motor and the software makes a guess after the motor has started turning.

kevinpratt823
06-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Don't know exactly, but pretty sure the esc senses the back emf from the motor and the software makes a guess after the motor has started turning.
That is just how a sensorless system detects the rotor position to determine how/when to apply the set timing. I am wondering what factors the SF system uses to determine that timing settting in auto, and does it vary.....?

ray schrauwen
06-11-2014, 08:58 PM
No kidding?

Doc Wayne is the man to ask. He designed the swordfish.

iridebikes247
06-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Had no idea Wayne designed the Swordfish esc, they've been great over the years!

Chrisg81983
06-11-2014, 11:12 PM
I am curious to know what Wayne designed with the sf......a few of my friends or distributors of swordfish and I have spoken directly with them many times about this software, firmware , and overall design of the controller and was under the impression that there was more than one person that led to their design and Wayne's name was not mentioned at all. so I'm just curious to see what role he played in their development.