PDA

View Full Version : Miss geico/blackjack 29 6s esc on genace 25c?

waterproof
06-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Hi.

I want to buy new set of lipo to my miss geico 29 with the 80A esc, i have looked at gensace 5000mh 25c, is this big enough for this boat?
Thinking about one 2s 5000mh 25c and one 3s 5000mh 25c.
On the box to the geico it stands that they recommend 30c but it didnt stand anything how many mh, a 5000 25c is stronger than a 3300 mh 30c, but will this gensace 5000 25c deliver enough so they dont be to hot?

They came with trx cable, is it ok to use adapter? Use a trx to ec3 adapter on each battery so i dont need to make new connectors on then? One like this 116172

tlandauer
06-03-2014, 03:17 PM
HI, I am sorry: your concept is not entirely correct. A 3300mah 30C Lipo is not weaker compared to the 5000 mah, 25C battery. For boating you need at least 40 C and HIGHER discharge rate. The numbers Before the mah is the capacity, that translates to run time. Yes, a 5000 will give you longer run time but the discharge rate is too low for boating application where high amp draw is expected. Low discharge rate will cause over heated ESC and failure because if the motor is demanding more amps and the batteries can not supply it, then the ESC is caught in between and would be killed eventually. Not to mention decreased performance for your boat.
The connectors are not great, the more adaptors you use the more internal resistance you have. You should use 5.5mm bullet connectors for your set up. EC3 connectors are really not enough for this kind of set up IMO, if you are reluctant to change now, at least use the same through out. I know this is easy to just talk then actually sitting down and change all the connectors, but it is a bullet that you have to bite eventually :(

kfxguy
06-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Ec5 connectors and 50c batteries at minimum. I don't think an 80 amp esc is going to last long on 6s either. You have a better chance of it living longer with the miss geico 1500kv motor vs the 1800kv black jack motor. I would definitely recommend against that adaptor you posted also.

waterproof
06-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Thanks for reply, I do not run it on 6s, 5s is the setup and the ec3 connector is not hot after 10 minutes of a lot of trottle :D

Its difficult to find high c rate so the only way is to buy battery packs and change them to they i want.
Is there a guide out here how i should change to ec5 plugs? It could not cost much for horizon hobby to deliver the boat with ec5.. Cheap plugs anyway.

Traxxas spartan using 25c batteries, one i know have 5s setup with traxxas 25c lipo and it works fine, but this is not a traxxas boat so i will follow the advice to buy so many c that i could find, today i run 35c and they never get hot so i thought maby 25 would be ok but i don't buy them.

Yes, i just have to bite the bullet and change them out, it not many lipos that came with ec3 anyway and it is a weak small connection but they work on my stock 5s setup :)

waterproof
06-04-2014, 02:28 AM
My example was 3300mh 30c deliver 99amp and 5000mh 25c deliver 125amp, thatswhy i thought the bigger battery with lower c rare could be stronger :) But a smaller battery with higher c would emty itself faster so its more powerfull.

kfxguy
06-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Thanks for reply, I do not run it on 6s, 5s is the setup and the ec3 connector is not hot after 10 minutes of a lot of trottle :D

Its difficult to find high c rate so the only way is to buy battery packs and change them to they i want.
Is there a guide out here how i should change to ec5 plugs? It could not cost much for horizon hobby to deliver the boat with ec5.. Cheap plugs anyway.

Traxxas spartan using 25c batteries, one i know have 5s setup with traxxas 25c lipo and it works fine, but this is not a traxxas boat so i will follow the advice to buy so many c that i could find, today i run 35c and they never get hot so i thought maby 25 would be ok but i don't buy them.

Yes, i just have to bite the bullet and change them out, it not many lipos that came with ec3 anyway and it is a weak small connection but they work on my stock 5s setup :)

Sorry, the spartan does not work fine on 25c batteries. That's a perfect example. Do a search and you'll see many esc failures and puffed batteries. My buddy had one with the new setup and had nothing but problems with wires getting hot, connectors getting hot and batteries puffing. He finally sold it because he does not know how to solder so he could upgrade the wiring, connectors and battery connectors.

kfxguy
06-04-2014, 08:31 AM

Sorry, the spartan does not work fine on 25c batteries. That's a perfect example. Do a search and you'll see many esc failures and puffed batteries. My buddy had one with the new setup and had nothing but problems with wires getting hot, connectors getting hot and batteries puffing. He finally sold it because he does not know how to solder so he could upgrade the wiring, connectors and battery connectors.

waterproof
06-04-2014, 12:56 PM
I understand, but he use traxxas lipos with 25c, maby its work fine because of it is running in cold water?
Lipos are last long so the best is to buy them with many c as possible of course :)
Here i live its realy small marked and not many different store to buy from.

I found turnigy 4000mh 40c. Would they be enough? Or could it be to little mh?

kfxguy
06-04-2014, 01:13 PM
I understand, but he use traxxas lipos with 25c, maby its work fine because of it is running in cold water?
Lipos are last long so the best is to buy them with many c as possible of course :)
Here i live its realy small marked and not many different store to buy from.

I found turnigy 4000mh 40c. Would they be enough? Or could it be to little mh?

Can you not order them off the internet?

waterproof
06-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Yes, but it not easy to find 3s and 2s that have the same mh and c.
4000mh maby give to short runtime?
The last way is to order a couple of battery and change plug on then and change them on the boat..

markarch
06-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Hobbyking will surely have what you are looking for. In my opinion, shopping online for batteries is the only way to go. The local hobby stores mark up their prices far too much for my budget.