PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea??

gumby
08-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Hey guys just looked at this boat and thought it was really cool and you could bring it almost everywhere. Well i wanted to do something different so i thought about this.
2xhttp://www.hobby-lobby.com/jetdrives.htm?utm_source=web&utm_medium=Product%20Search&utm_campaign=0088
its the first one on the page maybe pairing them or just have one jet drive.
i was just wondering if this is actually possible.

thanks mike

kck741
08-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Are you talking about putting a mini jet drive in a mini rio??

gumby
08-11-2008, 08:01 PM
You got that right. Maybe even 2

Diegoboy
08-17-2008, 10:15 AM
My thoughts on this, just in case others are thinking about trying a jet in the rio...

I love jet boats, and I have been looking for another suitable hull after the Shockwave26 I made.
In my honest opinion, no graupner jet drive will fit in the mini rio. The hull has a very low profile, and a very small transom.
Think about the jet drive as if the impeller were just any ordinary prop. It would be mounted in the middle of the transom, not at the bottom like a surface drive. Therefore the motor shaft has to be mounted higher in the boat. with the hull's profile, it will not fit.
Now, anything is possible, so they say. It could be done with a flex cable coupled to the jet drive shaft, then the motor placed farther fwd and lower, maybe one of these (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/prodimages/gr3344.jpeg)will do the trick, but it's too much work without a guarantee of success.

Danny

lonewolf
08-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Dont forget about keep a C/g that is suitable for the hull.... moveing the motor that far forward coould offset the balnce beyond adjustment. would the still be room for the cells????

Diegoboy
08-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Good point Dave!

lonewolf
08-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Would hate to end up with a water plow....lol

gumby
08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Yea good point guys this hull prolly wont work i just like how the hull is small and cool looking and thought it would be cool to put in a jet drive. like diego said the crackerbox hulls are great for jet drives the vac u cracker looks like a great hull for twin jet drives. right now i need to finish up my sv27 then i can get to work on a twink jet drive.

thanks for the help guys

mike

dostacos
08-18-2008, 01:44 PM
so the consensus is YEP, it is crazy:tape: :banana: :zip-up: